what makes a good doctor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuponoodles

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was working at a fairly well known, prestigious doctor's office and I was just wondering what was it exactly that made this doctor so good.

Is being a good doctor a matter of natural talent and skill? residency and type of training? specializations? is there really SOMETHING that makes certain doctors more sought after than others?

or is it just not f*king up with patients?

I guess more importantly is: how can each one of us be a good doctor?

Members don't see this ad.

I was working at a fairly well known, prestigious doctor's office and I was just wondering what was it exactly that made this doctor so good.

Is being a good doctor a matter of natural talent and skill? residency and type of training? specializations? is there really SOMETHING that makes certain doctors more sought after than others?

or is it just not f*king up with patients?

I guess more importantly is: how can each one of us be a good doctor?

Is this a question directed at Pre-meds? Or an advice to pre-meds on how they ought to behave inorder to be good future doctors.

I think that a "layman's" idea of a good doctor may be drastically different from another physician's idea. I think that for most of us regular patients, a "good doctor" is one who has treated our friends/family members successfully, or has a record of treating our own rare condition. I also think that personality and bedside manner plays a HUGE role here, and a doctor who is affable and pleasant will probably be rated higher by a patient than someone who is very aloof and quiet, regardless of their proficiency. For a physician, though, these two criteria would probably not be quite as important.