What makes a siginificant upward GPA trend? + Advice on postbacc credits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedhelp1256

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear everyone ask about significant upward GPA trend, but can someone clarify how significant that really needs to be? For example, my GPA by year is 2.94, 3.08, 3.61, and 4.0 (although senior year isn't a lot of credits). Would this be considered significant enough? For reference, MCAT is 520 (130/131/130/129).

I also plan on taking some postbacc classes this year, so I can keep improving my application. So far, its looking like I'll only be able to take about 10-12 credits throughout the full year, with 6 completed this summer (both As) for a total of 18 credits. Assuming I do well enough, would this be an alright DIY postbacc, or would it be more helpful to continue doing more semesters worth of coursework. Since I'm working full time, I doubt I'd be able to handle more than 2 night classes per semester just by sheer time constraint.

Thanks for your help everyone! I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad.

I hear everyone ask about significant upward GPA trend, but can someone clarify how significant that really needs to be? For example, my GPA by year is 2.94, 3.08, 3.61, and 4.0 (although senior year isn't a lot of credits). Would this be considered significant enough? For reference, MCAT is 520 (130/131/130/129).

I also plan on taking some postbacc classes this year, so I can keep improving my application. So far, its looking like I'll only be able to take about 10-12 credits throughout the full year, with 6 completed this summer (both As) for a total of 18 credits. Assuming I do well enough, would this be an alright DIY postbacc, or would it be more helpful to continue doing more semesters worth of coursework. Since I'm working full time, I doubt I'd be able to handle more than 2 night classes per semester just by sheer time constraint.

Thanks for your help everyone! I appreciate it.
If your postbac consists of prerequisites and upper-level Bio, considering your upward trend started two years ago and that you have a strong MCAT score, if you get A-range grades, your DIY postbac plan should be sufficient. But I'd still recommend that you hold in reserve a plan to complete a total of 30 postbac hours over two years. Just in case.

As was suggested above it might be a good idea to do some while you apply in case you are are a reapplicant. Part of this also depends on how many credits the 4.0 senior year involves(ie how much is not a lot 6 credits vs say 22 credits) and what your overall gpa currently(ie are you closer to a 3.2 or 3.4). But one option could be do the 18 credits before applying while doing what you can during your app cycle( maybe abother 15 or so) so you have something to work with in case you are a reapplicant

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your help! I only needed to take one prereq, and the rest are planned to be upper division bio. Next year, I will definitely keep in mind that I will needed to take more courses. Will 30 credits total be enough? My senior year I only had one semester worth of grades (12 credits)because I had to graduate a little early.

If your postbac consists of prerequisites and upper-level Bio, considering your upward trend started two years ago and that you have a strong MCAT score, if you get A-range grades, your DIY postbac plan should be sufficient. But I'd still recommend that you hold in reserve a plan to complete a total of 30 postbac hours over two years. Just in case.

Thanks for the reply! My senior year was light, only had 12 credits because I started working and was graduating a semester early. But during those two years, I believe I finally figured out how to study in a way that was good for me, and it shows in my MCAT score. Because of my poor performance earlier on, though, my GPA is definitely closer to 3.2 than 3.4. I believe its around 3.26, will be slightly higher if you take this semester into account.

How bad is it to be a reapplicant? I've heard that you are essentially "damaged goods", and it is a fairly negative to be one.

As was suggested above it might be a good idea to do some while you apply in case you are are a reapplicant. Part of this also depends on how many credits the 4.0 senior year involves(ie how much is not a lot 6 credits vs say 22 credits) and what your overall gpa currently(ie are you closer to a 3.2 or 3.4). But one option could be do the 18 credits before applying while doing what you can during your app cycle( maybe abother 15 or so) so you have something to work with in case you are a reapplicant

Thanks for your help! I only needed to take one prereq, and the rest are planned to be upper division bio. Next year, I will definitely keep in mind that I will needed to take more courses. Will 30 credits total be enough? My senior year I only had one semester worth of grades (12 credits)because I had to graduate a little early.

Thanks for the reply! My senior year was light, only had 12 credits because I started working and was graduating a semester early. But during those two years, I believe I finally figured out how to study in a way that was good for me, and it shows in my MCAT score. Because of my poor performance earlier on, though, my GPA is definitely closer to 3.2 than 3.4. I believe its around 3.26, will be slightly higher if you take this semester into account.

How bad is it to be a reapplicant? I've heard that you are essentially "damaged goods", and it is a fairly negative to be one.

You obviously never want to "plan" on becoming a reapplicant, but at the same time you want to have an actual improvement to your app if you have to reapply
The ideal plan would be do 30 credits over two years. But if that's not possible and you are going to apply after 1 year at 18 credits then some more work during your app year so you have something to show if you have to reapply was what I was getting at

On another thread you said you had already applied MD and DO this 2016-17 season. AACOMAS allows one to update transcripts during the application year (which AMCAS does not, requiring individual update letters wherever allowed). So where schools are aware of the new grades earned over the next year, I think there's a good chance that the 18 credits of A to A- will be enough to get you an acceptance and that more postbac work over a second year won't be needed.