What materials do I need to have before I start the application process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Denizen

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am going to be applying to dental schools in one month, and right now I am studying for my DAT. I have all my letters of recommendation ready. I have never seen the AADSAS application before, and I was wondering if anyone had tips on what items I should have ready to go to be able to apply as soon as I take my DAT (will be taking in early July). The thing I am most concerned with are transcripts—how exactly does that process work? Do I need to order official transcripts from my high school and the colleges I've attended? How many copies? It comes sealed, so I don't open it, right? Do I even need hard copies or is there a way to do this electronically? I've seen someone suggest ordering unofficial transcripts as well to check for errors—how early does this need to be done? Should I order those before I order my official ones? Other than transcripts, are there any other materials I should order or have ready for the AADSAS application?

Additionally, I've seen it recommended that you should begin the application process A.S.A.P.—even if you haven't taken the DAT. This is an area of concern for me, though, because that would cut significantly into my studying time (as I've said, I'm taking the DAT in about a month). I feel a need to be studying that whole time. Any advice? I was planning on starting the application process as soon as I take the test.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for these helpful threads, guys, I'm still having trouble finding the answer to a few of my questions, though.

Before I apply, should I have official, sealed (paper) transcripts for H.S. and all colleges ready to go? If anyone could elucidate the mechanism of how your transcripts go from sending school —> AADSAS I would really appreciate that.

Also, any advice on the DAT studying/applying ASAP question I asked? How many hours do you think it takes to submit an application, just without the DAT scores? As I mentioned, I'm concerned about this because it may cut out a significant chunk of my studying time. Is starting my application on June 2nd as opposed to say, July 2nd worth it, in terms of being in the middle of a 6-week DAT study regimen?

Last edited:
Thanks for these helpful threads, guys, I'm still having trouble finding the answer to my question about transcripts, though.

Before I apply, should I have official, sealed (paper) transcripts for H.S. and all colleges ready to go?.

You don't need high school transcript according to the instructions pdf from AADSAS.
'Secondary (High) School Information: Collected information includes identification of high school and dates attended. Transcripts are not accepted.'

Also, here is the link to the pdf
http://www.adea.org/uploadedFiles/A...nstructions/2015-ADEA-AADSAS-Instructions.pdf

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for these helpful threads, guys, I'm still having trouble finding the answer to a few of my questions, though.

Before I apply, should I have official, sealed (paper) transcripts for H.S. and all colleges ready to go? If anyone could elucidate the mechanism of how your transcripts go from sending school —> AADSAS I would really appreciate that.

Also, any advice on the DAT studying/applying ASAP question I asked? How many hours do you think it takes to submit an application, just without the DAT scores? As I mentioned, I'm concerned about this because it may cut out a significant chunk of my studying time. Is starting my application on June 2nd as opposed to say, July 2nd worth it, in terms of being in the middle of a 6-week DAT study regimen?
You don't need HS.

For the transcript process, you need to wait until the AADSAS app is open. Then you get the transcript request form and give it to any post secondary school you attended when you request your transcripts. They need to be mailed from the school. That's really all there is to it.

I probably spent about 3 hours on my application total.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was looking to find out.