What medical schools drug test?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I never said I was an outstanding citizen, but if you feel that way about me, then thank you :)

I have no interest in having a flame war, so yes, let's just call this a draw.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I never said I was an outstanding citizen, but if you feel that way about me, then thank you :)

I have no interest in having a flame war, so yes, let's just call this a draw.
I thought we agreed to keep our relationship private? Way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol. I know what you meant, and I am aware what flaming is. I was trying to make a joke as a symbol that we are good, and that I have no interest in a flame war with you either! But like any joke, it's not funny if I have to explain.

I suppose you could say, I have a reputation with the ladies to maintain ;-)

It would sure make that pesky "why our school" question easier to answer. "Because I read on SDN that you don't drug test."

Reactions: 4 users
I haven't seen anyone ask this, and I don't know if you have written it above, so if you have already answered this question my apologies...but...Why does it matter to you which medical schools do/don't drug test?

To be honest, I was genuinely interested. Interestingly enough, the only top 10 school that drug tests seems to be WUSTL, and since they give you advance notice it is more of a common sense test.

I'm also disappointed at the response here, albeit not surprise. Most of the average premeds I've met throughout my career have been very hard working "straight shooters" that make it their crusade to look down upon anyone that does not adhere to their code of conduct.

You don't go to class? You party on the weekends? OMG you are never going to get into a medical school (lol...). I'm not saying this discipline is a bad thing, but there seems to be some inherent need to compensate for something... In contrast, I've rarely met a top candidate that is so close minded.

Personally, I think physicians must have an open mind and the ability to question the norm. Hell, there are way too many examples in history of unnecessary procedures carried out for the sake of following the established rules.

For those open minded individuals, following a redditor's advice, google "site:.edu medical students drug test".

Reactions: 2 users
It doesn't matter what schools drug test. If you're caught, you're going to have licensing difficulties in the future. Private corporations (hospitals) aren't going to hire you or you're going to fight an uphill battle. Its the world we live in. It's not about what's harmful, but rather what the legal system says.

images

Sorry to revive an old thread, but does anyone know if HMS and Hopkins drug test during orientation?

Sorry to revive an old thread, but does anyone know if HMS and Hopkins drug test during orientation?

if you are considering giving up acceptances at Harvard and Hopkins over this issue...you need to go to rehab.

Reactions: 8 users
if you are considering giving up acceptances at Harvard and Hopkins over this issue...you need to go to rehab.
Or he just wants to know if he can get blazed to celebrate :D

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Or he just wants to know if he can get blazed to celebrate :D

I don't think anyone would give up a medical school based on their drug testing policies... but said policies could change how people structure the activities in the next months...

Reactions: 5 users
I don't think anyone would give up a medical school based on their drug testing policies... but said policies could change how people structure the activities in the next months...

THC only stays in your system for ~30 days. are you saying that you cannot abstain for 30 days prior to matriculation?

THC only stays in your system for ~30 days. are you saying that you cannot abstain for 30 days prior to matriculation?

... reading comprehension dude -.-

Also, just looking for a clear answer as to specific policies...

I find drug tests to be a bit dumb. If a student has a serious drug problem than they won't be to hard to spot. It'll cause a lot of problems for them, and I highly doubt that they'd be able to finish medical school. However OP, did you really expect to get the results that you wanted out of this thread? Even if you miraculously did get a list for all schools, did you assume that school drug policies and test methods wouldn't change? Unfortunately for the people who like to indulge in drugs, medical school is where you have to remain sober from illicit substances if you want to have a secure future. Don't take it lightly and than end up failing a drug test. Just develop an alcoholic problem for the 4 years instead :) Btw, THC can stay in your system longer than 30 days. If you're a bit over weight and smoke daily for a few months, than don't exercise after you've gone sober, it'll stay longer. Plus you're talking about THC in urine. What if you get a hair follicle test? You won't be screwed or have made a mistake, etc.. etc.. etc..., you're going to be FU**ED!

... reading comprehension dude -.-

Also, just looking for a clear answer as to specific policies...

Medical school and illegal drug use don't mix. You are looking at a lifetime of drug tests. What part of this don't you understand? This entire thread blows my mind. I pray you are a troll.

Personally I know 2 guys at Columbia Med who do cocaine... just saying.

Do they just urine test? I had to get hair drug tested for a job recently, that stuff shows everything 3 months out. Something to think about.

I find drug tests to be a bit dumb. If a student has a serious drug problem than they won't be to hard to spot. It'll cause a lot of problems for them, and I highly doubt that they'd be able to finish medical school. However OP, did you really expect to get the results that you wanted out of this thread? Even if you miraculously did get a list for all schools, did you assume that school drug policies and test methods wouldn't change? Unfortunately for the people who like to indulge in drugs, medical school is where you have to remain sober from illicit substances if you want to have a secure future. Don't take it lightly and than end up failing a drug test. Just develop an alcoholic problem for the 4 years instead :) Btw, THC can stay in your system longer than 30 days. If you're a bit over weight and smoke daily for a few months, than don't exercise after you've gone sober, it'll stay longer. Plus you're talking about THC in urine. What if you get a hair follicle test? You won't be screwed or have made a mistake, etc.. etc.. etc..., you're going to be FU**ED!

You would be surprised. There are high functioning drug addicts in medicine, and if you look at the publication that explains why various docs in your state had their license suspended (I forget what it's called but it exists), usually around 60% of licenses suspended or revoked were for drug abuse reasons. I'm sure it can be quite hard to tell sometimes.

I completely agree though, if you're going into medicine stay the **** off drugs.

You would be surprised. There are high functioning drug addicts in medicine, and if you look at the publication that explains why various docs in your state had their license suspended (I forget what it's called but it exists), usually around 60% of licenses suspended or revoked were for drug abuse reasons. I'm sure it can be quite hard to tell sometimes.

I completely agree though, if you're going into medicine stay the **** off drugs.
What do you define as drug addicts? Are you saying that there are functional medical students who indulge in heroin, crack, meth, etc.. on a daily basis? I HIGHLY doubt it (no pun intended). I don't agree with the last part however. I don't think what a doctor does at home on their own time should matter.

What do you define as drug addicts? Are you saying that there are functional medical students who indulge in heroin, crack, meth, etc.. on a daily basis? I HIGHLY doubt it (no pun intended). I don't agree with the last part however. I don't think what a doctor does at home on their own time should matter.

Prescription drugs (oxy, etc) are an issue. This goes for doctors and, to an even greater degree, dentists.

To be honest, I was genuinely interested. Interestingly enough, the only top 10 school that drug tests seems to be WUSTL, and since they give you advance notice it is more of a common sense test.

I'm also disappointed at the response here, albeit not surprise. Most of the average premeds I've met throughout my career have been very hard working "straight shooters" that make it their crusade to look down upon anyone that does not adhere to their code of conduct.

You don't go to class? You party on the weekends? OMG you are never going to get into a medical school (lol...). I'm not saying this discipline is a bad thing, but there seems to be some inherent need to compensate for something... In contrast, I've rarely met a top candidate that is so close minded.

Personally, I think physicians must have an open mind and the ability to question the norm. Hell, there are way too many examples in history of unnecessary procedures carried out for the sake of following the established rules.

For those open minded individuals, following a redditor's advice, google "site:.edu medical students drug test".

As a former non-straight shooter who has partied on plenty of weekends, I can tell you there is a whole lot of downside to drug use, with very few upsides.

Once you commit to the medical profession, you are committing to a code of conduct that includes following the law to the best of your knowledge. As I said before, there is no place for illegal drugs.

Questioning the status quo is something you get out of your system when you are 16, not when you are a 25 year old professional working on your M.D.

TL, DR: You need to grow up.

Last edited:
Why would you be hoping to get into med school if you are a crack head?

Are there any crack/weed heads in med school you guys know about?

Last edited:

Are there any crack/week heads in med school you guys know about?

I just assume that the average human in America smokes weed at least semi-regularly

More on topic, ACOM does do a drug test before classes start

I just assume that the average human in America smokes weed at least semi-regularly

I'd surmise this is true for high school and college students. Unlikely for most other demographics.

I don't know of any human in my vicinity that has smoked weed at any point in their life.

Wow! What kind of people do you surround yourself with?
You really are a crackhead

Lol. Hi streampaw.

Most American adults have tried marijuana at some point in their life. Crack is a different story.

I don't know of any human in my vicinity that has smoked weed at any point in their life.

You are either remarkably ignorant or an unremarkable troll

The jury is out, I couldn't favor either possibility

Oh you definitely sound like a crack head. I can feel it, no need to give u a drug test. You are already guilty.

actually I think he's right on what we seem to be calling "weedheads" in this thread. You're definitely in the vicinity of people who smoke weed - educated or not. And there are plenty of med students who do smoke marajuana. I'm not sure how I feel about doctors doing it on their off time. And why is alcohol then given a pass?

My issue is one of legality. I do not think that weed is inherently worse for you than alcohol, but the law is clear -- in most states, recreational marijuana use is currently illegal. As a physician, you are a role model and community leader. You have a responsibility to uphold the law. As laws go, this is a really easy one to follow.

My issue is one of legality. I do not think that weed is inherently worse for you than alcohol, but the law is clear -- in most states, recreational marijuana use is currently illegal. As a physician, you are a role model and community leader. You have a responsibility to uphold the law. As laws go, this is a really easy one to follow.
Stop using logic. At least you're protecting your $200-250,000 investment. If others want to **** up, let them.

Reactions: 2 users

I'd say you're both being a bit extreme. To say the average American smokes weed regularly would be an exaggeration. To say the average American has smoked weed at some point in their lives would probably be more accurate.

For what it's worth, I work in a professional, white collar career level job with other BS/Masters level graduates (engineers, various types of scientists) and at least 1/3 to 1/2 of my ~55 coworkers smoke weed at least a few times a year if not weekly or more. Our company is privately held and since almost all the owners fall under the "user" category there is no drug testing. I personally have never smoked or used illegal substances, ever, although easily half my friends have. Whomever thinks "no one" around them uses anything illegal is likely a bit ignorant.

At the same time, if you are going into a career where drug testing occurs often, and dare I say is expected, and you choose to indulge in illegal activities, you're playing roulette with a quarter to half million dollar investment (your tuition) not to mention the rest of your career. Just be aware of what you're really risking.

Y'all who think nobody in medical school does drugs are in for a surprise. That being said, I think most reasonable medical students don't feel that it's a risk worth taking.

The jury is very much in, and it's the latter.

Says right there in the graph... Didn't bother googling that source though, I remember reading this in a news article so I assume they did some background work.

Yeah, I saw where the data was from, but I like to know how the figure is made/the context within which it is presented. Lies, damned lies, and graphical representations of statistics and all.

Wow! Yall a bunch of crackheads in this country!

Are there any crack/weed heads in med school you guys know about?

Plenty. I think most of them are done with the drugs except for alcohol. One of them has done coke recreationally since high school. His septum is still intact though.

I don't want somebody on drugs being my physician, no offense. Though I wonder how the University of Colorado will treat this subject since the state legalized pot? Probably the same as most schools.

I heard CUSOM is quite strict. Any student that does not test positive for THC will be dismissed from the program ;)

But really...