What MSW programs are within my reach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

factotum

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently left a PhD program in research psychology. The world of pure research was very unsatisfying, and I found myself repeatedly envying the clinical students, who got to break up their research activities by working with people. As I departed my PhD program, one of the faculty made an unsolicited suggestion that I might be a good fit for a career as a clinician.

Since then, I got a part-time job at a group home, and I find working directly with people to be very satisfying. I'd like to train as a therapist, and for various reasons the LCSW path seems like the best fit.

I'm not getting any younger, and I'd like to try to get into a MSW program this year, even though I know I'd be a stronger candidate if I waited. I'm only interested in programs that offer a clear path to the LCSW (i.e., CSWE-accredited and offering direct practice track).

What programs are within my reach?

On the positive side, I left my PhD program with a Master's and one professor who has promised to write me a recommendation. My last two years of undergrad, I got a 4.0, and my graduate GPA is 3.8. My GREs were great, although my scores are old enough that I'll have to retake. I also have plenty of volunteer experience...at least when it comes to research.

On the negative side, the admissions guidelines for many MSW programs emphasize human service experience, and that's where I'm weakest. I have six months' experience in a part-time, entry-level human service job, and no human service volunteering (and with my various obligations, no time to volunteer in the near future). My resume just doesn't look like the resume of a future LCSW. Also, my transcripts prior to my last two years of undergrad are a total mess.

Where could I apply to maximize my chances of getting in this year?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you might be over estimating the competitiveness of MSW programs, though I don't know which ones you've looked into so far. It seems like your job at the group home has been valuable for you so far. What type of research/volunteer work have you done? I also don't think you need to worry about your job being entry level. This is the kind of experience many are able to get before grad school.

I once considered the online MSW program at USC. Had it not been $90,000.00 just for the tuition, I probably would have done it. I spoke to one of their admissions counselors (who called me repeatedly... remind you of any particular "school" out there?). She told me that "we" could work on my application together [patronizing] and "we" could use ANY life experience I had working with human beings as an example of my human service. I am not kidding when I tell you that she said that even former telecommunications (call center) employees were able to use their work experience as "human service" experience.

It has been my impression that it is actually more difficult to get into BSW programs than MSW programs, just because you're competing with so many more students. My friend just finished her MSW and she told me that the entry-level jobs for the degree are paying roughly $11-15 per hour, which frightens me. She worked as a news reporter for two decades prior to her career change and can't really afford to make said wage with her new student loan debt, so please be careful and make sure you're informed before you jump onto the MSW wagon. I personally believe it would be a fulfilling career, there are just financial risks.

I wish you luck in whatever you choose! Good for you for having the courage to leave a program that just wasn't a good fit for you. You're smart!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry about your experience. Some programs take students right out of undergraduate programs, some take students who have no social work experience, etc. Your application letter and interview are where you can sell yourself. You have a great educational background especially in research, and that is a BIG plus in social work programs. Focus on your strengths while being mindful of your weaknesses.

If you do go the MSW route, make sure to get funding, such as CALSWEC or a mental health funding, or other MSW funding programs. You will be required to work for the funders for two years, but you won't have any student loans. Don't do the expensive online programs; I think it's foolishness, paying 90k for an MSW. Even if you do get student loans, an MSW shouldn't cost you more than 25 or 30k at a state college.

My friend just finished her MSW and she told me that the entry-level jobs for the degree are paying roughly $11-15 per hour, which frightens me.

Whooooah. Where are you? I do not know any recent M.S.W. grads here in NYC who are making near that little.

I definitely agree that no one should take on a significant amount of debt for a social work degree (or, really, anything that's not med school). That's the problem with private schools like USC that offer M.S.W. programs. Some of them are highly ranked, sure, but most of them are enormous cash cows. The only programs that are both cheap and selective are programs on which the school is losing money.

Qwerk,

I live in Washington, D.C. My friend is finishing her MSW in Utah - very different, I know. She will take her licensing exam right after graduation, but cannot be fully licensed as an LCSW until finishing her supervised hours.

I agree - it is not worth getting into serious debt for an MSW. Prospective students should consider the realistic income they can expect to receive upon graduation. I am sure NYC pays more than $11 - $15/hr but like D.C., the cost of living is also a lot higher so we're not really comparing apples to apples. How much do newly-minted MSWs earn in NYC?

How much do newly-minted MSWs earn in NYC?

According to my very unscientific survey of Hunter recent clinical grads, 50k-ish seems normal. Some people I know make more, some less, and it's usually the slackers who are making significantly less. A few are only working part-time, and a few remain unemployed.

This is good to know!

I know $50k isn't amazing in NYC, but I'm sure it could be a lot worse, too. Is it possible that the market is less saturated with MSWs there than in Utah (a state that notoriously pays less than most other states)?

Who knows? Thanks for this "unscientific" information!

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think my biggest concern is where my letters of rec are going to come from. I have one faculty member at my old grad school who will definitely write me one, but I didn't publish or make much of an impression there (I was kind of an invisible man in a field that really requires a type A personality) so I'm only counting on getting that one letter.

I don't know if I have the chutzpah to ask the same people who wrote me letters five years ago to recommend me again. A letter of rec is a really valuable thing and I'd basically be asking them to double up on what they've already done for me.

My social service job...I've been there less than six months. I have a pretty good relationship with my supervisor but even if she did write me a letter, it wouldn't be a really strong letter. How could it be, if it was honest? I haven't been at the job that long.

What are MSW schools looking for in letters of rec anyway? How high is the bar, really?

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice everyone.

I think my biggest concern is where my letters of rec are going to come from. I have one faculty member at my old grad school who will definitely write me one, but I didn't publish or make much of an impression there (I was kind of an invisible man in a field that really requires a type A personality) so I'm only counting on getting that one letter.

I don't know if I have the chutzpah to ask the same people who wrote me letters five years ago to recommend me again. A letter of rec is a really valuable thing and I'd basically be asking them to double up on what they've already done for me.

My social service job...I've been there less than six months. I have a pretty good relationship with my supervisor but even if she did write me a letter, it wouldn't be a really strong letter. How could it be, if it was honest? I haven't been at the job that long.

What are MSW schools looking for in letters of rec anyway? How high is the bar, really?

I recently left a job where I was supervising direct care workers in a crisis facility for adults with MI, and I wrote many recommendation letters for people with bachelor's degrees after knowing them for 6 months to one year. Most of them were part time, and nearly all of them got accepted to counseling programs/MSW programs. I wouldn't worry about it too much; if your supervisor can say that you do good quality work and have great interpersonal skills and a real interest in helping others, that's probably going to be good enough for MSW admission committee. Just my .02.

It sounds like several of them are within your reach OP.

This might be the best thread for me to try and get some insight into programs. I've tried a couple other ones about a week ago with no responses. Any insight would be amazing.

I am interested in pursuing a degree in clinical social work and would like work with adolescents in a residential treatment setting and eventually work in a private practice alongside this. I have a list of schools that I am looking at but do not know average GPAs, GREs, and things along those lines so any advice, suggestions, and help would be greatly appreciated.

My info:
Undergrad GPA-3.3 with a major in Psychology
GRE Scores- 159 verbal, 151 Quant. 4.5 in the essay
Psych GRE Score-640
I have 1 1/2 years working at a Residential Treatment Facility and about 6 months of volunteering at a mental health facility, American Cancer Society, and a group that researches and fights against child abuse.

Schools (These are all MSW degree programs):

Boston College
Boston University
Salem University
George Mason University
Howard University
Fordham University
New York University
Columbia University
cuny hunter college
Portland State University
Yeshiva University
Stony Brook University
Rhode Island College
Touro College
University of Denver

Thanks everyone for any insight into these programs and where I stand on getting into one.

I have been looking into MFT programs the past few months. I am looking primarily in California but I have widened my net to include Boston, Chicago and Seattle in my search. My info:

Graduated from a University of California with a 3.33 and a B.A. in Psychology
I spent a year abroad.
My resume in a bit sparse but I'm working on that.
I have five months of volunteering to create a Waldorf/arts based charter school also with a recent four months tutoring children in low-income area's. I am about to start looking into volunteering somewhere but I am don't know where to start since there are privacy concerns and I don't already have a masters.

Here are the schools on my list:
San Diego State University #1
Mount Saint Mary's #2
Pepperdine #3
In no particular order:
Gonzaga
Massachusetts School of Professional Psychology
University of San Francisco