What next after acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vib87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have got acceptance to the program of my choice( Clinical psychology/health). Waiting for the acceptance letter from the grad office. What should I do next?

- Do I need to contact my mentor again( and ask her about any kind of work she has for me?? readings or something? I don't know)

-I have been thinking to know more about the books that I might need to buy (or is it too early?)
Kindly help me, this is first time (thank you I credit my success to my GPA(4.0), 2 years of RA ship and 2 years of professional work experience, one publication and 6 poster and paper presentations and a very good research match NOT SO GREAT GRE!!).

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Take a breather. You're gonna need it. Plan your move, or figure out the new area you'll live in. Get set up. You will have plenty of reading and work ahead of you.

Reactions: 1 user
Take a breather. You're gonna need it. Plan your move, or figure out the new area you'll live in. Get set up. You will have plenty of reading and work ahead of you.
Thank You :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Best advice I got was chillax until it is time to start. Do what is fun and enjoy because life will get really full and you won't have much time for fun for awhile.

You could reach out to your mentor at some point to keep communication open, but no need to get working yet.

Reactions: 3 users
Congratulations, vib87!

So our program director contacted each of us the summer before we started. We were given a reading list (doable, interesting, and exciting!). Then, about a month before we began our program has a tradition of having the former first-years contact the new incoming cohort and meet up for a social. It was informal and fun; we got to know our own cohort plus those already in our program. First week of classes, we had a meeting to welcome our cohort, sign our funding contracts, and meet all the faculty.

I'm sure most programs are somewhat similar (maybe minus the cohort socials), but there will be plenty of time to jump on your graduate work. Travel, do nothing, have non-academic fun....now is the time. :hardy:

Congrats. You will have plenty of work to do when you start. Practice your effective self-care skills over the summer. In other words, like the others said - have fun. :cool:

WILL MAKE SURE TO HAVE FUN:)
Thank you