MD & DO What Now?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mn2220

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently just received my final rejection this cycle. I am trying to evaluate my options and decide how to move forward. I applied to 8 schools(state and low stat MD schools) and received zero interviews.

White male from rural area

MCAT(PS/V/BS):

1st attempt 8/13: 10/4/6(20)
2nd attempt 7/14: 8/3/11(22)
3rd attempt 1/15: Awaiting score

Chemistry Major
sGPA: 3.5
cGPA: 3.6

Extracurriculars

Employment: 4000 hours
Research: 1000 hours
Shadowing: 100 hours in various specialties
Hospital Internship: 200 hours
Campus Orientation Volunteer: 150 hours
CNA(started last fall so not on primary, but in secondaries): 500 hours as of now

Questions:
1. Do I take the MCAT a fourth time(which would be the new one) if the third score is bad?
2. Is there anything else I can do to make myself unique and stand out to admissions?
3. Will my other two MCAT scores drag down the third score?
4. Should I consider an SMP?
5. Is medicine still even possible?

Members don't see this ad.

No. Two poor scores imply that you're at a plateau, and or you're not prepared for the test. Why do think they'll magically change on a 4th try? Scoring in single digits in two categories tells me you're not mastering the material, or your VR deficits are so significant that they're a major impediment. Seeing a 6 Bio score automatically makes me wonder if you actually learned anything at that time. I assume you're ESL? If so, it's an explanation, but not an excuse. If not ESL, well, that's bad.
1. Do I take the MCAT a fourth time(which would be the new one) if the third score is bad?

No. At this point, your first two scores are lethal for MD schools and most DO schools; they're on life support for the newest programs.
2. Is there anything else I can do to make myself unique and stand out to admissions?

Many schools (like mine) average scores, so yes. there are some that take only the most recent, or best composite, which in your case would be a 23, but is still not good. You'd be autorejected at my school.
3. Will my other two MCAT scores drag down the third score?

Why? Your GPA isn't the problem, your MCAT is.
4. Should I consider an SMP?

Yes, but you have to fix your VR deficits. There's decent evidence that poor MCAT performance is a risk factor for failing out of med school, and/or failing Boards. Having a Plan B is always a wise thing to do. Medicine is not for everyone.
5. Is medicine still even possible?

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the advice @Goro !

I recently got my third retake scores back. My MCAT scores now look like this:

3rd attempt 1/15: 8/5/12 (25)

Do I have any chance at DO schools? I'm not interested in pursuing Caribbean options and instead would pursue PA school instead. Are my chances of getting into either an MD/DO school essentially zero now? I don't want to retake for a fourth time especially with the new MCAT. Have I run my options out for medical school(not considering Caribbean)?

Appreciate any feedback!

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll have to do your homework and target those schools that superscore MCATs, which in your case would be 10/5/12= 27.

Consider DPM as well.

Thanks for the advice @Goro !

I recently got my third retake scores back. My MCAT scores now look like this:

3rd attempt 1/15: 8/5/12 (25)

Do I have any chance at DO schools? I'm not interested in pursuing Caribbean options and instead would pursue PA school instead. Are my chances of getting into either an MD/DO school essentially zero now? I don't want to retake for a fourth time especially with the new MCAT. Have I run my options out for medical school(not considering Caribbean)?

Appreciate any feedback!

Your only chance for DO would be the newer schools. There are a few DO schools where the median MCAT is in the 24 to 26 range. Schools worth applying to would be ACOM, CUSOM, LUCOM, LMU-DCOM, MU-COM, RVU-COM, UP-KYCOM, VCOM (all 3 but Auburn would be more likely ), WVSOM, WCU-COM. There will also be a new school in New Mexico (Burrell) and possible new schools in Utah and Arkansas in 2016 so apply to those also. Though your MCAT is low your GPA is good so you may receive 2 or 3 interviews. You have no chance for MD schools. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July. An early application is important with your stats.

Update:

Accepted to the University of Minnesota-Duluth!

Reactions: 3 users
Thanks for letting us know.
What do you think helped you overcome your stats?

I think I did a good job matching the mission of the school which has a very strong emphasis on rural medicine. Coming from a rural background in MN and having lots of shadowing of Family Med in rural Minnesota probably helped me overcome my stats. Still feel very grateful to have gotten the acceptance knowing the stats/odds that I had!

Reactions: 1 users
I think I did a good job matching the mission of the school which has a very strong emphasis on rural medicine. Coming from a rural background in MN and having lots of shadowing of Family Med in rural Minnesota probably helped me overcome my stats. Still feel very grateful to have gotten the acceptance knowing the stats/odds that I had!
Did you have any luck at other schools?

Your acceptance is inspirational! Thanks for sharing!

Duluth is awesome! Congrats!!

I got one other interview from an OOS school, but no acceptance. I know my story is far from the norm for my stats.

Reactions: 1 user