What other Career options have you considered?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FitnessDoc2012

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What other career options has everyone considered? and why did you ultimately decide to remain pursuing the DPT?

Members don't see this ad.

professional surfer

but more realistically, nurse practitioner or nurse anesthetist.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you still pursuing PT school? I remember you saying you withdrew from WCU MPT program...what made you withdraw?

Engineer, researcher, PA, cage fighter, police...wanna be everything but only have one lifetime

I thought hard about that one. A career in PA is definitely a better financial investment than PT right now. And the thought about PT school debt is daunting. However I knew that my career shouldn't be summarized by a simple $$profit/loss equation. And I figured that I was prob in a stage where "the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence." I did a lot of research about PA as a career and concluded that I would enjoy the way PTs practice much more. I want to be able to take my time to examine my patient's conditions in a more independent and less stressful setting. I want to have specialized knowledge PT rather than being a well-rounded physician's extender. Another big plus is the amount of flexibility PT career offers. I want to explore different locations/specialties and eventually determine my niche. Although I'll be sacrificing my lifestyle in the first few years I'm think it's a very-worth endeavor.

Oh and engineering...well. I majored in Biomed Engineering, which is great as a transitional degree or for academia but fairly undesirable in the industry unless one has connections through internship/co-ops. So basically I'd have a very tough time looking for an entry-level position, esp one that I'd be passionate about. If I have the time & $$ to invest in graduate education I thought I might as well do something that I can truly imagine myself doing 10-20 yrs down the road.

If I had an answer to this one, I probably would not have applied again this year. I had a few careers but they never measured up to PT. I thought of Pilot, travel channel host, but realized those were more of fantasy.

- High school biology and health careers teacher (still plan on doing this in a few years)
- PA
- Student affairs/academic advising at a university
- Performing arts management
- Public relations

I'm all over the map. Still am.

wow, there's quite a list for this question:
engineer
PA
pharmacist
college professor
veterinarian
DO
and I'm sure a few others I can't remember

good question :)

I didn't go with veterinarian because I didn't think I'd be able to euthanize animals, honestly, even if I knew it was the best thing for them.
DO: This career path really interested me, especially when I found out that there was a such thing as DO's and not only MD's. However, I'm honestly not up for that much school. I want to start my life (outside of school), and even if/when I would have graduated, most MD/DO's work many hours per week. In that respect, the job wasn't fitting for me, and I knew I couldn't handle it, especially trying to get through med school and residency with these doubts.
PA: I'm still thinking a bit on this one, but I would like knowing and working with my patients and just not seeing them for small periods of time and then sending them off to others (like a PT) or prescribe drugs to them. I'd also like to be more specialized than not.
Pharmacist: I was actually accepted into pharmacy school and worked for one (research) but never entered. After shadowing pharmacists all too much, I saw it wasn't for me. Pharmacy is definitely interesting, but you don't have much control over your patients; you're filling their medications, not prescribing them. I would have wanted more influence in the patients. You could work in the hospital, but still, I was put off by the drug thing. I'm uncomfortable with them and think they're overused.
engineer: I was also very interested in this one, but after going to an engineer camp I realized it wasn't for me. I don't so much like building/designing new things, (and find long-term research/projects pretty boring honestly) I like working with things that are already built, like the human body. I like learning about something that is already there, knowing it inside out, and then applying my knowledge about it to solve/understand its problems. I think this is something important to consider in choosing engineering or not. Are you a fixer or builder? I'm sure some engineers fix, but I believe most fields of engineering build and design new tools/structures.

wow, long reply, sorry.
but that's about it. I ended up with PT presently because I like working with people and believe much more in not using drugs but more along the lines of prevention and more natural remedies. I wouldn't like just sending my patients off to someone, I would like to be the person that they are sent off to. And college professor, well maybe after PT.

piece of advise someone told me: the medical world is going through some changes, especially with reform. Do what you want, that way if the field you choose is affected, at least you'll still love your job and won't be working one you hate for less money than you want.

Let's see

At age 7: Being Danny Glover and Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon was my calling
At age 12: Thought I would be the next great lawyer
At age 16: Thought I might be a professional athlete
At age 19: I knew I would be a superstar personal trainer
At age 21: Head strength/conditioning coach of a professional team
At Age 24: MD/DO, DPT, PhD
Age 25: DPT/Phd(even though the program I am going to attend is not dual degree)

My decision to become a DPT has been somewhat of a natural trajectory since being a Kinesiology undergrad in college; however I am still interested in other aspects of being a clinician/academic in our field. I suppose I will get my DPT and then maybe specialize in OCS and/or NCS. I also see myself maybe getting the CSCS certification through the NSCA. Lastly, being an assistant professor at a school(Physical therapy, Kinesiology, Exercise Science, Anatomy, Physiology, etc coursework) is something I may look to do in the future. I love/embrace learning, and being in the academic culture is something I truly relish!

I wanted to go into medical school for a long time. When I actually got out into the field, I learned that I really hated the lifestyle. I don't want to be on call all the time, working crazy hours, etc. I love the fact that I could work part time in PT and make time for my future family.

In addition, I learned to love rehab and everything about it. I truly enjoy forming close relationships with patients and being an active part of their treatment. I wouldn't want to see them every now and then and have my PA or medical assistant take over 75% of their visits.

I also entertained the idea of PA school and becoming an R.D., but again...I grew to love the field of rehab.

Well, I considered medicine, teaching, music, engineering, architecture, chiropracty...

Why I ultimately didn't choose medicine: PT interaction with patients. Different focus of PT.

Teaching: can do it when I get my PhD in PT. Haha

Music: Love my instruments, but I've always wanted to do something in health care. I can always just play for fun with friends or join the texas medical center orchestra.

Engineering: Again, just a fleeting thought. health care all the way for me. plus all those crazy classes where i'll need to work my butt off

Architecture: Don't think I'll be too good at coming up with awesome ground-breaking designs. Will always have a love of great architecture though. My arch friends will fill me in.

Chiropracty: different treatment philosophy

I dont get it Dancer, what about a career in PT???

I am getting my DPT (first year student)...I've just always been really interested in education and worked as a TA in a high school last year and loved it. If I didn't get into PT school my backup plan was to get my bio teaching certificate while I reapplied (fortunately I didn't have to go that route). I've always known that eventually I will teach high school, it'll just be a long way down the road...and the high school I worked at has a health occupations class, where they teach and have the kids do internships with MDs, nurses, pharms, PTs, etc., so I figured I'd be more qualified to teach that 2 hour class/week than the random PE teacher they have :p

I'm just the kind of person who could never do just one thing. Last year I was working 3 jobs and going to class and loved it. I will always have at least 2 jobs I think, just to keep myself sane aand prevent burnout :)

Since senior year of high school:

- Journalist/Writer: lack of job security
- Pharmacist: O-chem changed my mind
- Physical Therapist: probably should have stopped here, I had acceptance to a 3+3 program as long as I maintained my GPA... and would have been licensed about 3 years ago!
- High School Biology Teacher: have my undergrad degree here
- Medical (benchtop) research: did this for a few years but missed people!
- Chiropractic: with research found it's just not for me
- Physical Therapist: will be graduating next year. Like someone else mentioned though, I definitely don't see myself "just" working as a PT forever; I'll need to teach or something to mix things up! Ultimately, PT just felt right, an it's a nice mix between two of my passions, educating people and the health/science field.

First PT, then to pharmacy, back to PT, and now thinking possibly MD.

I graduate in May, I think I'll practice for a while, and if my significant other and I continue to be against children in 8-10 years then Ill go back and become an MD.

If no kids means pursuing my love for learning then I think I'll take it..