What percent of applicants are offered an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rachel993

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this statistic has been reported. (I did my searching though)

I know that roughly 40% of applicants get an acceptance, and schools typically try to interview <15% of applicants. And that many applicants end up declining II's. <--(I envy those lucky ducks).

So, I'm wondering what percent of all med school applicants are at least offered one interview. Anyone know? (...adcom members?). Do individual schools even report this?

it would make for an interesting table to scrutinize.

Members don't see this ad.

MSAR Online is your friend.

Rough estimate, about 10-20% of applicants get IIs.

A few very random samples:
Albany: >8800 apps, 926 IIs
Einstein: 8415 apps, 1403 IIs (they're busy!!!)
Baylor: 6618 apps, 731 IIs
Quinnipiac: 1862 apps, 371 IIs
Harvard: 7139/933
Rush: 8481/372

My school received >5000 apps, we interviewed ~500.

I know that roughly 40% of applicants get an acceptance, and schools typically try to interview <15% of applicants. And that many applicants end up declining II's. <--(I envy those lucky ducks).

So, I'm wondering what percent of all med school applicants are at least offered one interview. Anyone know? (...adcom members?). Do individual schools even report this?

I don't think the data you are requesting is available.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)

I'm sure this is different for each school but let's just say at your school. Is there a set group of people conducting all 500 interviews at your schoool or do the interviewers rotate?

1403 IIs?! Wow. That's just insane.

I'm sure this is different for each school but let's just say at your school. Is there a set group of people conducting all 500 interviews at your schoool or do the interviewers rotate?

Yeah definitely makes me less confident since that is my only invite. :p

Our interviewers rotate. In a typical season I interview ~75 people.

Reactions: 3 users
wait what do you mean "its your only II"? interview season has barely even started.

You aren't out of the running at least.

Our interviewers rotate. In a typical season I interview ~75 people.
Thanks. I was just curious. I can imagine even 75 feels like a lot to interview.

I wish MSAR had this data: how many are within the 90% percentile of the school's past MCAT and GPA values. In other words, let's say 90% School X's matriculants have an MCAT score between 30 and 34, and a GPA of 3.0 to 3.4. How many of the applicants who applied were in this range?

Basically, I wonder how many applicants have no chance, and remove them from the percentage.

Reactions: 1 users
You can't put it down to simply numbers. About 50% of the applicants have no business being anywhere near a medical school, even as a cadaver, and the rest are mostly clones of each other academically. It's the ECs that get you in the door...the numbers get you to the door.

I wish MSAR had this data: how many are within the 90% percentile of the school's past MCAT and GPA values. In other words, let's say 90% School X's matriculants have an MCAT score between 30 and 34, and a GPA of 3.0 to 3.4. How many of the applicants who applied were in this range?

Basically, I wonder how many applicants have no chance, and remove them from the percentage.

Reactions: 5 users
You can't put it down to simply numbers. About 50% of the applicants have no business being anywhere near a medical school, even as a cadaver, and the rest are mostly clones of each other academically. It's the ECs that get you in the door...the numbers get you to the door.

Ouch.

@Abstractions ouch is right! I was expecting 5-10%.

Thank you Goro! I agree with your analogy about getting to the door, but I feel it would have been helpful to know if I should bother applying to certain schools. With my stats, has anyone ever been accepted to Harvard? The answer is probably no, so I shouldn't be trying to break new ground even after curing cancer. Otherwise, reach school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Surprisingly, I've seen the same thing in Faculty job searches!

Hey, somebody has to be in that <10th %ile cohort!

Thank you Goro! I agree with your analogy about getting to the door, but I feel it would have been helpful to know if I should bother applying to certain schools. With my stats, has anyone ever been accepted to Harvard? The answer is probably no, so I shouldn't be trying to break new ground even after curing cancer. Otherwise, reach school!

Last edited:
Thank you for this. I so needed that chuckle.

All told, about 47% of applicants get in somewhere so I suppose that at least 47% of all applicants get at least one interview. I'd put the number at closer to 50%. Of course, most schools have the resources to interview just a small fraction of the applicant pool (<15%) although some state schools will make an effort to interview most of their instate applicants.

Let's say I am complete by mid-September at all of my schools. By what date should I start freaking out if I don't receive a single II?

Let's say I am complete by mid-September at all of my schools. By what date should I start freaking out if I don't receive a single II?

No date is a good date to start "freaking out". Prepare for reapp throughout your cycle (that way you might be able to apply a little bit earlier). When you get in, then you can stop preparing.

I think it's best that one go through this process expecting 100% rejections. ALL applicants should have a Plan B, no matter what their numbers, or how thick their app.

But to your question:
For MD schools, Dec/Jan

For DO schools, Feb/Mar.

HAHAH this made my day! Goro is the best!

Reactions: 1 users
ahh I love living in Texas - I am pretty sure that ~ 40% of in-state applicants get admitted to a TX medical school

What percentage of applicants have run of the mill average ECs? Or rather what percentage have what you would consider fairly strong/good ECs?

Good question! I'd say it's 50/50. People who have weak ECs (especially those who lack patient contact experience) are quite rare, and get rejected at my school.

What percentage of applicants have run of the mill average ECs? Or rather what percentage have what you would consider fairly strong/good ECs?

Good question! I'd say it's 50/50. People who have weak ECs (especially those who lack patient contact experience) are quite rare, and get rejected at my school.
Interesting, so about 25% of the total applicants are seriously considered for an interview.