What programs are you at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
To all of the current EM residents in this forum,

I would really appreciate if you all could list the program that you are currently training at. This way applicants can send you either private messages or post to this thread their specific questions about your program prior to applying.

Thank you!! :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

Christiana..I love it here and I'm happy to answer any questions.

USF in Tampa, FL.

I also am a DO so I know there are lots of peeps out there that are DOs and applying to MD institutions.

Members don't see this ad :)
Orlando Regional

At Wake Forest

Einstein in Philly
EM-1

Its a long way off for me (I am a lowly MS1) but I was wondering how competitive the dual IM/EM programs are? What board scores and such do you need? Also, where is UIC?

W222 said:
Its a long way off for me (I am a lowly MS1) but I was wondering how competitive the dual IM/EM programs are? What board scores and such do you need? Also, where is UIC?
It's probably best to start a new thread on the topic rather than diverting this one.

Back on topic: Texas Tech EM class of 2001.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm at St. Luke's-Roosevelt in NYC.

Sessamoid- did you go to UTHSCSA?

roja said:
I'm at St. Luke's-Roosevelt in NYC.

Sessamoid- did you go to UTHSCSA?
Nope. UTMB. One of my residency classmates graduated from UTHSCSA, though.

University of Rochester

margaritaboy said:

any idea how competitive maricopa is? going to school down here at UA we here from the EM people how great UA's program is, but never anything about maricopa. did you interview down here too? if so, i'd love to hear what you thought (think) about both and why you chose maricopa, even if you didn't interview at UA.

lattimer13,

I wasn't able to fit UA into the interview schedule, though I'm sure they have an excellent program down there. I was, and am, really interested in living and practicing EM in a major urban area like Phoenix, though Tuscon is certainly a substaintial size.

Someone recently asked me about The Copa and here's what I said:

margaritaboy said:
Thanks for asking. I?ve also lived in both Florida and Pennsylvania. Living out West is the shiznit. Residency here at The Copa has been excellent so far. Mostly, I've been impressed with the caliber teaching we receive both on and off our shifts from our attendings, who seem very involved and dedicated to the ED and residency. Our department is arguably the strongest and most stable at our hospital by consensus of both off service attendings and residents alike. Also, the second and third year residents in our program seem to be very well respected on different services, and are strong in terms of knowledge and management of trauma or medical patients. It is hard for me to imagine that I will walk among them in another 11 months. They say the learning curve is steep the first year....it must be a dead rise.

Residents seem pretty tight, with a relaxed relationship with attendings. They are teaming up to do an adventure race in October. Our first unofficial departmental party involved throwing all interns into a swimming pool.....along with all PGY2s, 3s, recent graduates, and attendings. Nobody was spared.

Phoenix is far better than even I had thought it would be. Sixth largest city in the US, so it has diverse activities / restaurants etc. Outdoor activities abound, with hiking and mountain biking being popular year round, and the added benefit of skiing in nearby Flagstaff in the winter. There's also a beach about 4 hrs away on the Gulf of California, but haven't seen it yet ....

I've only been here for about 8 weeks, so the honeymoon phase may ware off at some point. You can email me later in the year and get the updated opinion if you want.

You can email me if you want, just click on my screen name and check out the email option.

Mt. Sinai, Miami Beach FL
DO program
:D

So Far
So Happy :cool:

M00se said:
Mt. Sinai, Miami Beach FL
DO program
:D

So Far
So Happy :cool:

Hey The moose, Tried to find out some more info about your program, but couldn't get a hand on it. Can ya tell me? like...
Who runs trauma?
How much trauma do you get?
I heard a nast rumor that the program might close down?!? I assume its a rumor only!
Are you really NEXT DOOR TO THE BEACH?

Thanks

Finished EM/IM at Ford in Detroit in 2001. Finished Crit Care fellowship at Pitt (UPMC) in 2003.

Well, the hospital is on the intercoastal waterway. From the unit floors you can look out on the water and miami, and out the other window is South Beach and the Atlantic. :D As far as I know the program is not closing. In July, the program stopped rotating at 3 of it's community hospitals. Now instead of going to Mt. Sinai and 3 community hospitals for ER,the residents will be rotating at Mt. Sinai and Jackson Memorial(large county hospital) starting in October. We already do our Trauma at Jackson Memorials' Ryder Trauma Center, which is separate from th main ED. In Miami Dade County all trauma goes to Jackson/Ryder, so the only trauma at Mt. Sinai is walk in/drop off, which is minimal. As for who runs trauma, the anesthesia dept is in charge of trauma. ?? :confused: ?? I haven't been there yet, but have been assured that since our attendings started working at the center the ED residents are getting procedures. LOTS of fun for me so far.

Thats all I have to say about that. Hope it helps. :cool:

M00se said:
Well, the hospital is on the intercoastal waterway. From the unit floors you can look out on the water and miami, and out the other window is South Beach and the Atlantic. :D As far as I know the program is not closing. In July, the program stopped rotating at 3 of it's community hospitals. Now instead of going to Mt. Sinai and 3 community hospitals for ER,the residents will be rotating at Mt. Sinai and Jackson Memorial(large county hospital) starting in October. We already do our Trauma at Jackson Memorials' Ryder Trauma Center, which is separate from th main ED. In Miami Dade County all trauma goes to Jackson/Ryder, so the only trauma at Mt. Sinai is walk in/drop off, which is minimal. As for who runs trauma, the anesthesia dept is in charge of trauma. ?? :confused: ?? I haven't been there yet, but have been assured that since our attendings started working at the center the ED residents are getting procedures. LOTS of fun for me so far.

Thats all I have to say about that. Hope it helps. :cool:

How is it going to work if Univ of Miami gets approved for its own EM residency? They applied last year for accredidation but were denied.
Q

York Hospital

Em

Palmetto-Richland
Columbia, SC :love:

As far as I know they have stopped trying and may apply for a dual accredited position. However, this part is pure speculation, but the director of the ED at Sinai (an MD) was the one who pushed for an ED residency at Jackson when he was there. Or, maybe they are just using us for the next few years(the length of the contract) to show the big wigs at Jackson that they need ER residents in the hospital. Broward County wanted us to come up there starting immediately, but Sinai wanted Jackson and already had the close relationship. Many of the residencies and fellowships at Jackson and Mt. Sinai have strong ties. Like I said, it's early in the grand scheme to know it all. This program has a history of moving to larger hospitals since it's inception, always keeping Sinai.
The only thing I know for sure is that they are starting rotations for our program at Jackson in the ED (in addition to trauma) starting Oct 1. There will be more ED residents at Jackson than at Sinai, since the dept there is so much bigger.

Hope this helps :cool:

Pitt County Memorial Hospital, at East Carolina University, G-Vegas, NC, USA.

Brigham and Women's/MGH Anyone with questions feel free to contact me.

LSU-Baton Rouge

Moose any info on surgery residency at Sinai? I've tried looking on their website but ifno is pretty sparce.

Sorry, no idea about the program in surgery.

Dr. Cowboy said:
Palmetto-Richland
Columbia, SC :love:

:clap: Yea! My first pre-med shadowing experience was at the ED there ... USC c/o 2000. While I was living there I never thought I would miss Cola, yet sometimes I do ...

Drexel (MCP/Hahnemann) in Philly :D

Double,
Is OHSU a tough match? D/t location only...?
Do you get an interview if you rotate?
Any other comments?