What PT schools look for in GRE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thebigaristotle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
wow this forum is pretty cool. i just found out about it yesterday and i have been reading a lot of the stuff. I had a question about what exactly PT schools look for in the GRE. I heard that for a lot of health professions, the quantitative score is what is looked at most and the verbal isn't all that much looked it. Is that true? thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I was actually worried about the same things when i was preparing to take my GRE. I got a very good math score and, in my opinion, a bad verbal score. I got a 4.5 on the analytical portion.

Having said that, I believe PT schools do not put a lot of emphasis on the verbal portion. Being able to memorize words that aren't used in everyday conversation as well as connecting analogies doesnt really show how good of a PT you will be. On the other hand, a good math score shows you can think logically and solve problems, which correlates to good evaluations and creating proper plans of care.

In the end, I got into my first choice. I think the GRE is just one of many factors schools look at, but to answer your question, i think definetly make sure you get a better math score. Usually admitted students have a much better math score on average.

MAANNN!!!!!!!!!!!! If your GPA is a 3.7 and stuff, you can have a 980 on the GRE and still get in. My friends did. Too bad it doesn't go the other way. As long as you get 1000 and a 3.0, you should still have a shot. And memorizing words is not all the Verbal section is, there are reading sections you know. It's a measure of your comprehension, like reading the PT text books when you get in. They don't chose candidates who are likely to drop out of their programs.

Just try to get the best total score you can. Like JBizzle said, if your GPA is high it really doesn't matter what you get.

Take three months and prepare for all three sections because they are all important. If you go approach the GRE with the attitude that the verbal section "isn't really looked at", you could short change yourself from getting the best score possible.