What question sto ask when they say "Do you have any questions?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful786

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are some good questions to ask when the interviewer asks if you have any questions? or what type of questions should you ask?

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on the school. You don't want to ask any questions that may hurt your interview of course.

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree with all but the last suggestion on this post. I would never ask the interviewer what they thought my chances of getting in were. You'll find out soon enough whether you got in or not without ending the interview on an awkward question.

Other things you might ask are:

1) This school has a great reputation in academia and research. How much clinical experience do your students receive? (or, do you feel that your graduates are well prepared clinicians?)

2) When I was researching this school I noticed that you have all (or most) of the dental specialties. Do your pre-doctoral students still get to work on fairly complicated treatment plans, or do they automatically go to residents?

3) What is the general relationship of faculty and students at this school? Do they work together well and have open door policies, or is it more separated and stand-offish?

4) Do the students at this school tend to be highly competitive with each other, or do they collaborate and work together well?

Reactions: 1 user
thnx guys...these are all good suggestions!

If you can come up with more, please do right them!

I agree with all but the last suggestion on this post. I would never ask the interviewer what they thought my chances of getting in were. You'll find out soon enough whether you got in or not without ending the interview on an awkward question.

1) This school has a great reputation in academia and research. How much clinical experience do your students receive? (or, do you feel that your graduates are well prepared clinicians?)

I would not ask this Q. 1st the interviewer is not going to say, yeah sorry our student are not really good clinicians. This Q is sending -ve msg to the interviewer IMO. Or maybe you can just simply ask how much clinical experience your student receive rather than (do you feel that your graduates are well prepared clinicians?)

I agree with the above that you shouldn't ask questions that have potentially negative responses. There is really no point, because interviewers usually dodge the question and it may hurt your admissions chance. For all of those dodgy questions, ask dental students or possibly the tour guides.

My advice for questions to ask interviewers is to get creative and try to have an idea of the types of questions that your interviewer would enjoy answering. For example, one of the schools I interviewed at had extremely high boards part II percentiles, and they seemed to enjoy making this known because they were number 1 in 2005. I asked a curious question about what attributes of the school contribute the most to their high NBDE II percentiles.

You want a question that sets the interviewer up to highlight positives I would think.

2) When I was researching this school I noticed that you have all (or most) of the dental specialties. Do your pre-doctoral students still get to work on fairly complicated treatment plans, or do they automatically go to residents?

3) What is the general relationship of faculty and students at this school? Do they work together well and have open door policies, or is it more separated and stand-offish?

4) Do the students at this school tend to be highly competitive with each other, or do they collaborate and work together well?

Greetings,

I believe there is no problem of asking the interviewer of your chances of being admitted. You are not asking the question " Am I going to be admitted?" but rather " In comparision with this year applicants credentials, do you feel I am in the running?". And by asking this you can get some insight on your chances. Nobody will tell you a negative answer but if you are a strong candidate, they will likely to tell you. They will not give you on a spot acceptance but if they want you, in some cases you can read between the lines. In my opinion, that is a fair question. Questions that are wasteful of your time to ask would be the ones that always produce positive responses such as " Are the faculty nice to work with or are the students happy here?" Of course they have no choice but to paint a rosy picture of their school. DP

Last edited:
Alright. Here's the deal, whenever someone asks you this question in your interview, the last thing you wanna do is make up some obscure question just to make them think you're being intelligent.

Most people's nerves are shot by the time they are asked this (usually at the end of the interview). They make the mistake of trying to be too original, and fail.

Be honest. It's way better to be like " I don't have any questions, they have been answered to the best of my knowledge." Or, "My questions have been answered because most of this stuff is available online anyways." I actually got commended by this down-to-earth prof interviewing me when that was my answer.

You have to understand that the interview isn't a place for you to be grilled, put on the spot. They know how book smart you are (by your grades). Show them the human side, let them know that you can talk and chill with people in tough and easy-going situations. Connect with them and don't bore them to death by your dazzling, out-of-this galaxy questions or replies.

Most people's nerves are shot by the time they are asked this (usually at the end of the interview). They make the mistake of trying to be too original, and fail.

Be honest. It's way better to be like " I don't have any questions, they have been answered to the best of my knowledge." Or, "My questions have been answered because most of this stuff is available online anyways." I actually got commended by this down-to-earth prof interviewing me when that was my answer.

I disagree with this. Maybe your down-to-earth professor was okay with you answering like that but most dental school faculty won't be impressed. Saying that you have no questions because all "this stuff is available online anyways" shows a general lack of care and interest in both the interview and the school.

I think this whole thing seems silly...I agree w/ "THINKOFMYFUTURE"'s response for the most part. We're all going into these interviews having done tons of research on the school anyway, so why rack our brains trying to think up some artificial, space-filling questions we probably already know the answers to? I mean, if it is something you won't find on the website or elsewhere, by all means, ask it (as I plan on doing). I honestly don't see anything wrong with the "I believe all my questions have been previously answered, thank you" answer if that's the truth...but leave out that whole "its all online anyways" part.

I disagree with this. Maybe your down-to-earth professor was okay with you answering like that but most dental school faculty won't be impressed. Saying that you have no questions because all "this stuff is available online anyways" shows a general lack of care and interest in both the interview and the school.

First, the entire interview isn't based on this one particular question. If it is, then of course, I would take a different stance, but you have to realize that this type of question is almost always asked at the end. And so, the ideal
candidate already made a good impression, hopefully.

Furthermore, I would argue that it would be far more important, and leaves a better impression, to not come off as being
contrived and rigid, risking awkwardness, than trying so hard to provide an answer you think they'd like to hear, that at best would benefit you meagerly, and which also, has a very high likelihood of backfiring.

Finally, you do not include evidence of any sort, that "most dental school faculties won't be impressed" with such an
answer. In my original reply I clearly noted my personal experience with a faculty member.

To add about the "online anyways" comment; I think it's perfectly fine depending on the circumstances. Every interview is
different; we are not robots. The key to a sucessful interview is not being prepared as much as adapating to change.
In this way, say what you want based on what you think is appropriate toward the situation the conversation naturally
carries to. In this regard, there is no set things "not to say" or "should be said". Though, I must admit this is a skill that is developed and not intrinsic by any means.

Last edited:
I think this whole thing seems silly...I agree w/ "THINKOFMYFUTURE"'s response for the most part. We're all going into these interviews having done tons of research on the school anyway, so why rack our brains trying to think up some artificial, space-filling questions we probably already know the answers to? I mean, if it is something you won't find on the website or elsewhere, by all means, ask it (as I plan on doing). I honestly don't see anything wrong with the "I believe all my questions have been previously answered, thank you" answer if that's the truth...but leave out that whole "its all online anyways" part.

I agree especially if there is a information/welcome session or tour before the interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The entire interview isn't based on this particular question. If it is, then I would have a different opinion, but you have to realize this question is 95% of the time asked at the end. I certainly hope you don't show general lack of care in your preceding statements (i don't understand this :)). Furthermore, I would argue that it would be far more important, and leaves a better impression to not come off as being contrived and rigid and evenrisk awkwardness, than embarrassing yourself by trying so hard to provide an answer you think they'd like to hear.

Also, you do not include evidence of any sort, that "most dental school faculties won't be impressed" with such an answer, in my reply I clearly noted my personal experience with a faculty member.

Of course I agree that a question shouldn't be asked just for the sake of asking a question but one should have some questions prepared that reflect their interest in the school and the field. Why would you pass on an opportunity to let the interviewer see what you are curious about and for you to dictate the conversation instead of them?

Last edited:
By 'preceding statements' I mean the rest of the interview.

I don't ever recall saying one must not say they have nothing to ask. Like Vlct0ria's comments, if you do happen to have any questions worth asking, by all means make it an opportunity.

My first reply was geared toward those who do not have anything to ask specifically (and that's fine!), but think they must reply with something witty or meet their doom.

Hope that clears things.

Last edited:
I guess I feel differently..I think that the tone of the conversation could only become worse if you have nothing to ask where you feel that having no questions will not affect the interview. But here is how I look at it... like you said 95% of the time the question, "...so do you have any questions for me?" comes at the end. By not asking a question you would choose to end the interview and to not continue talking to the guy who has an influence on your admission.

I think that preparing something to ask will be more beneficial than saying "no I can find it online" or asking a dumb question that you think makes you sound you sound like an intellectual (which we both agree isn't advisable :p).

Also, not having any questions may indicate lack of interest in the interviewers' eyes.

Dr. Phan,

I posted a message for you a few minutes ago, but I don't think it actually got posted. I noticed when I was reading one of your replies that you taught at Univ. of Tennessee several years ago. I actually live in Memphis and I've applied to UT. I'm really hoping things will work out with UT since my family lives in Memphis too. I have an interview coming up soon and I was wandering if you could possibly give tell what questions would be good to ask at the interview particularly about UT. I was thinking it would be good to ask something about the UT curriculum. I feel like I know a lot already about school from looking on the internet, but I would still like to ask them a question or two that's interesting. Do you have any suggestions since you worked there before? Thanks!!

Greetings all,

Don't take this interview thing more difficult than it really is. The more you fret the more you are making yourself miserable. There is NO need for this. All you have to do is to dress nicely, know why you choose dentistry over other professions, what you got to be a succesful in dental school, know why you got bad grades in so and so and what you have done to correct the situation. Guys and gals, this is NOT a Senate confirmation stint here but just down to earth give and take session. Just relax and DON'T FRET! How about if I start a thread called " Practice Interviewing Session" where I post the questions, you answer then I tell you what I think. Allright? DP

Reactions: 1 users
What are some good questions to ask when the interviewer asks if you have any questions? or what type of questions should you ask?

"Do you favor applicants who can't think for themselves and adhere to social norms?"

I like to ask about any of the special programs that the school has to offer. Externships, special needs clinics, abroad opportunities. I think this shows particular interest in their dental school and shows that you are eager to get involved.

Greetings all,

Don't take this interview thing more difficult than it really is. The more you fret the more you are making yourself miserable. There is NO need for this. All you have to do is to dress nicely, know why you choose dentistry over other professions, what you got to be a succesful in dental school, know why you got bad grades in so and so and what you have done to correct the situation. Guys and gals, this is NOT a Senate confirmation stint here but just down to earth give and take session. Just relax and DON'T FRET! How about if I start a thread called " Practice Interviewing Session" where I post the questions, you answer then I tell you what I think. Allright? DP

hi. can i plz get the link for practice interviewing session thread

Greetings all,

Could you please give me the link for it? Thanks