what reference source to use in practice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

peter90036

not out fishing
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
having some anxiety here ...i know how to treat sick people... but how about healthy ones with minor issues...

what to use for reference when dealing with simple things ? runny nose, stuffy nose, eye twitch -not these ones, but... like these.

Most of these easy issues will probably involve common sense and some of the acquired knowledge in residency but is there something to read from ?

Members don't see this ad.

having some anxiety here ...i know how to treat sick people... but how about healthy ones with minor issues...

what to use for reference when dealing with simple things ? runny nose, stuffy nose, eye twitch -not these ones, but... like these.

Most of these easy issues will probably involve common sense and some of the acquired knowledge in residency but is there something to read from ?
UptoDate mostly, occasionally supplemented with AFP articles.

That said, for truly minor complaints that are something that most of us would just ignore, I've gotten good at my combination reassurance/nothing to treat that with talk. That, and elavil for everyone.

Reactions: 1 user

I use Uptodate everyday especially for obscure labs I need to draw. Had a 21 month child last week who has been sick for 4 months, just got back from Mexico, mold in the house, was bit by a "chinche" bug. Lung sounds like a 80 y/o smoker. Chronic bloody diarrhea. Cries unconsolably. I sent him to the children's hospital.

But I digress. Runny nose, etc is a COLD. People need to take advantage of the WalMart aisles and peruse the selection. I'm all about nyquil, dayquil, chinese hot mustard and vinegar for sinuses. For ear pressure I use Rx sudogest 60mg bid #20.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I get somebody coming in with the sniffles, I try my best to out-sniffle them, and tell them I'm taking DayQuil (and NyQuil qhs)...and so should they. And, I'm at work. Next problem, please. ;)

I've never needed a reference for the simple things. The complicated things may require Google.

Reactions: 1 users
While UpToDate is excellent, I often find it too "dense" to use on the fly during clinic. I prefer bullet points and often use FPNotebook.com

There is a treatment for eye twitch? None that I've found. 5 minute consult is a good quick reference.