what resources should i use for surgery ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leowolverine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
in my country we take surgery in 2 clerkship one in 4th year the other in 6th year
i'm preparing for the one in 4th year we will take these subjects only :
-Trauma
-pre-op & post op surgery care
-general surgery (all about GI and all of the GI )
-ENDOCRINE
- breast & soft tissue & burns & skin
the rest of surgery subjects in 6th year

so what resources should i use : i'm planing to use
NMS surgery
surgery recall
dr.pestana surgery notes
Review of Surgery for ABSITE and Boards
Schwartz's Principles of Surgery ABSITE and Board Review

is this too much or fine ??

Members don't see this ad.

That is a ton of books. You'd definitely be well prepared. Not sure you'd have time, though. I'd stick with Pestana and surgical recall.

There is two other resources I found over the past year to be very helpful, as success in surgery is a lot about impressing the attendings, too. The first is Surgical Recall: Ultimate Pimping Handbook. Great book with surgery ins and outs. If you are cheap and want only the quick and dirty, I've use www.msgunner.com quite a bit, too. Only very high yield pimping questions. Not comprehensive by any means, but only those you are just about guaranteed to see on rounds.

Good luck, study hard, and don't be afraid to meet with the surgery department for extra help. Surgery can be a demanding rotation, both physically and mentally.

Reactions: 1 user
That is a ton of books. You'd definitely be well prepared. Not sure you'd have time, though. I'd stick with Pestana and surgical recall.

There is two other resources I found over the past year to be very helpful, as success in surgery is a lot about impressing the attendings, too. The first is Surgical Recall: Ultimate Pimping Handbook. Great book with surgery ins and outs. If you are cheap and want only the quick and dirty, I've use www.msgunner.com quite a bit, too. Only very high yield pimping questions. Not comprehensive by any means, but only those you are just about guaranteed to see on rounds.

Good luck, study hard, and don't be afraid to meet with the surgery department for extra help. Surgery can be a demanding rotation, both physically and mentally.
thx a lot i'll do my best :)

Members don't see this ad :)
NMS and Pestana are the best. Case Files Surgery isn't bad either. Surgical Recall is more of a pimp question book, won't be as good for shelf exams. Also google the emma holliday surgery PDF and IM PDF. Very high yield. And remember- anatomy and technique may be important in the OR, but boards and the shelf exam do not test surgery, they test IM, critical care and emergency medicine. Knowing the steps in a lap chole won't get you any points, knowing the best next step for a patient in a high speed car wreck, how to recognize cholecystitis on CT or appendicitis on physical exam will.

If you really want to kill the pimp questions dust off your anatomy book and watch www.websurg.com the night before. They take you through the surgery and annotate what they are doing and highlight the important anatomy.

Reactions: 1 user