What route should I take if I don't get into dental school the first time around?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ollivander

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm guessing right now that I'll end with a 3.3 sGPA and a 3.5 overall GPA (maybe a 3.45). I am lacking in the sGPA department and I know that. I did not major in a science. I started out in a science major, and decided that if the worst case scenario happened it was not smart on my part to have a biology degree and no fallback plan. I majored in finance with a minor in chemistry with all of the major pre-dental prereqs as well as Microbiology, Biochemistry, and both Anatomy & Physiology I and II. I have a fair share of withdrawals earlier in my academic career in science courses so I know that'll reflect poorly on my competitiveness. That's my biggest concern at the moment. IF I don't happen to get in the first time around, should I just take a lot more upper level science courses at my current school after graduation, or should I find a one-year masters program like the Mississippi College Masters of Medical Sciences (I'm from Alabama and an Alabama resident, so I'd still be claiming that and applying to UAB). UAB is currently my top choice due to the extreme difference in paying $120,000 versus $250,000+. Thanks in advance to anyone who replies and any advice you can give me!

Members don't see this ad.

You can do either a postbacc or masters. Whatever you feel most comfortable with.

Problem is if you wait till you find out you didn't get in this year, that doesn't leave much time to take classes.

I'd be applying for the Fall of 2016 cycle. I'd also be taking classes that fall in order to graduate. So I'd know whether or not I got in by the time that spring rolls around. I graduate Dec '15.

Members don't see this ad :)
1471319_548213838604644_1447146479_n.jpg

ROLLLL TIDE ROLLL!!!

Have you thought about about a program dental hygiene or assisting? From what I understand, your state is now licensing Expanded Duties Dental Assistants. I think most dental assisting and dental hygiene courses count as science classes on the AADSAS application....

Last edited:
Have you thought about about a program dental hygiene in assisting? From what I understand, your state is now licensing Expanded Duties Dental Assistants. I think most dental assisting and dental hygiene courses count as science classes on the AADSAS application....
Just to be clear, you're not advising that I pursue a career as a dental hygienist, you're just saying to take the science courses in the program to improve my sGPA. Correct? Also is this program a one year deal to where I would be able to take classes then apply again during the next cycle? Thanks in advance.

AuburnTiger said:
Just to be clear, you're not advising that I pursue a career as a dental hygienist, you're just saying to take the science courses in the program to improve my sGPA. Correct? Also is this program a one year deal to where I would be able to take classes then apply again during the next cycle? Thanks in advance.
Take your DAT first then think of other options

Reactions: 1 user
I had no idea that dental assisting courses transfer. I thought vocational courses didn't transfer.

If you don't get in I would definitely do a masters in a biomedical science. Forget about hygiene, I did that and I've been told a masters would have been better.

If you don't get in I would definitely do a masters in a biomedical science. Forget about hygiene, I did that and I've been told a masters would have been better.

Can I do a masters in biomedical science even if my degree wasn't in a science? I'll be getting a degree in professional finance when I finish up. But I'm also doing a chemistry minor along with some other pre-dental prereqs on top of that minor.