What school would you pick - VTC, EVMS, or Georgetown?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iheartflatus

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lucky enough to be accepted to all three. They all have their pros and cons for me personally. So I need your input:

VTC -
Pro: My mom lives in Roanoke. I know some of the faculty and med students already. I'm already familiar with Carilion. They kick ass on step scores. The students are very very well educated. Class sizes are small.
Con: I'm meh about research. They are moving their cadaver lab into another institution and we'll be sharing with a bunch of other students: nursing, PA, etc... It's $68k. The facilities are small and weak. No Sim man. Weak community outreach.

EVMS -
Pro: I loved my interview day. I love the integrated imaging program. Awesome hospital. Cheapest of the three. Ghent was nice. Research is optional, not mandatory. Good community outreach programs.
Con: No family there. Reputation as a 'back-up' school. Amenities are ok.

Georgetown -
Pro: Uhm... It's Georgetown. Name carries weight for opening up doors. I love the DC area. Good hospital. Notable faculty. I can live with family which will put the cost between both EVMS and VTC.
Con: They expect a lot out of their students - more hours on the floor/on call hours than the other two. Mandatory research again - although not as intensive as VTC. Everything is expensive. I'd have to commute ~30-40mins daily.

That's all I can think of right now. Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Georgetown is a nice campus when I visited it. I think the town is nice also, classy and situated within a bus ride distance of DC. I think you will have the most opportunities here. I know this school has a large class size so you might want to compare that with your other two. My vote would be for Georgetown.

Congrats! Georgetown is a nice campus when I visited it. I think the town is nice also, classy and situated within a bus ride distance of DC. I think you will have the most opportunities here. I know this school has a large class size so you might want to compare that with your other two. My vote would be for Georgetown.
Concur. Mine as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hold up. If we're going to talk about costs:

Tuition:
VTC = $43,596.00 (IS & OS)
EVMS = $30,584 (IS) / $56,382(OS)
Georgetown = $46,787

The cost in terms of tuition is EVMS > VTC > Georgetown, assuming you have Virginia residency.

But what about living costs?

If you were to factor in that maybe you can stay at your mother's place for a bit, you wouldn't have to worry so much about living costs. Even if she wanted you to pay a bit of rent/utility, the cost would be far lower than if you were to get your own apartment. That makes VTC a financially more viable option.

If you were talking about EVMS and Georgetown, you're going to have to get your own place.

EVMS = ~$800-1000 / month
Georgetown = $1500-$2000 / month

So in terms of overall cost, the most financially viable options are VTC > EVMS >>>Georgetown.

For now, it's about deciding whether the benefits of going to either of those institutions outweighs the cost.

Reactions: 1 user
he has family in Dc area also

he has family in Dc area also
Oops, well I missed that. Thank you sir.

VTC > Georgetown = EVMS sound about right to me then if we're going to do away with living costs for both the Roanoke and DC area.

Anyone want to enlighten me on the benefits of doing research in medical school?
It's going to impact your ability to study, so there has to be some benefits to outweigh potentially lower board scores.

Try to eliminate one of them.
What are your career/residency goals? Do you care more about research or community outreach?
Do you have about the local area/nightlife?

Woah wait, VTC is sending out acceptances now?

I wouldn't view having to share facilities with other health students as a negative. This could even be viewed as a plus as you might learn valuable insight in how these guys practice. After all, you'll be working with them for the rest of your life.

Obviously I'm biased, but I'm having a blast at EVMS. In-state tuition is a huge plus, my cost of living is super reasonable (I live directly across the street from school), Ghent is a really nice neighborhood. Our class gets along well, there's really no competitiveness. Everybody shares study resources on our FB group. We make sure to have fun on weekends. Maybe I'm atypical, but so far med school hasn't been that stressful.

VTC -
Pro: My mom lives in Roanoke. I know some of the faculty and med students already. I'm already familiar with Carilion. They kick ass on step scores. The students are very very well educated.

Georgetown -
Pro: Uhm... It's Georgetown. Name carries weight for opening up doors.
:rolleyes:

VTC hasn't yet sent out acceptances by all accounts.

T.R.O.L.L

VTC hasn't yet sent out acceptances by all accounts.

T.R.O.L.L

I don't think 'Troll' means what you think it means. A doctor I used to work with was on the adcom and gave me an unofficial highly likely.

I can't imagine anybody cares about the Georgetown name much more than VTC or even EVMS. I think the phenomenon of "doors opening" because of a brand name only happens with top 20 schools. In fact when I hear that someone went to Gtown for med school my first thought (even before this thread) was 'gee that must have been expensive'.

I'd just do with the cheapest option: VTC + living with mom. And if you don't want to live with mom, I'd probably go with EVMS.

I don't think 'Troll' means what you think it means. A doctor I used to work with was on the adcom and gave me an unofficial highly likely.
Actually, troll is exactly what I think it means. You're worse though. You're an ass. You weren't even accepted and off you go with the hypotheticals - wasting everyone's time.

Personally, I'd go with EVMS. But I have significant biases here.

I've worked with the VTC students, and they're not really that impressive. I'd also be weary of their lack of track record with residency matching, especially since people are applying more places in general and competition is getting stiff. Also, Carilion really isn't known for great teaching and superub health care. They end up sending a lot of stuff elsewhere.

I've worked with the EVMS students, and they're hit or miss. But, they do have an interesting mix of academic and community practice that you probably won't find elsewhere. And, they have the only stand alone children's hospital in the state. Downside is that rotations will be all over the place.

I've worked with Georgetown students, but not as much, so I'm not sure I can make a judgement there. However, Georgetown's cost of living will be expensive, even if you live with family. It's DC, after all. I'm not a fan of huge cities, though.

Georgetown hands down. It is ranked the highest, name recognition to open doors, and an incredible match list.

Yeah, Georgetown. Can't beat that name brand.

Is Georgetown really a name brand? Every time I have heard it discussed, it has been in the context of lower tier. OP, I'd go with either of the other two with the cost of GTown.