What schools are considered low tier?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PHD_2007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm from South Carolina and we have 2 state-supported medical schools. So are state supported schools considered low tier? :love:

Members don't see this ad.

PHD_2007 said:
I'm from South Carolina and we have 2 state-supported medical schools. So are state supported schools considered low tier? :love:
no.

I tried finding some sort of list online ranking schools and couldnt get a good one. I found the U.S. News list but needed a paid subscription to view it. I would be interested if anyone had some sort of lis.

Members don't see this ad :)
Noway said:
I tried finding some sort of list online ranking schools and couldnt get a good one. I found the U.S. News list but needed a paid subscription to view it. I would be interested if anyone had some sort of lis.

i just tried searching for one as well...came across the US news list also. You think something like that would be easy to find for free somwhere online...

PHD_2007 said:

im from sc also. w;hat school do u go to?

MUSC is not low tier. It's a good school, I'd say mid-tier. USC is perhaps lower. There's no such thing as tiers anyway. Both schools take predominately in-state applicants, so if you're in-state they may be easier to get into than other schools.

PHD_2007 said:
This is one of the dumbest posts ever--U Mich, UCLA, UCSF, U Wash...bad school?

PHD_2007 said:

There are no low tier American Medical Schools. Even DO schools are great compared to other parts of the world. Additionally, state schools are quite often far better than privates BECAUSE of the extra funding.

Don't look at ratings. They mean absolutely nothing. You can match well, learn well, and be a great doctor from any school in the U.S. (and a few abroad).

PHD_2007 said:

I'm just wondering how many times the same question can be asked? :thumbdown:

PHD_2007 said:

Low Tier: Harvard, JHU, Princeton, etc.

High Tier: McDonalds, ITT Tech, The Shed Outside My House, and Mercury

MUSC was ranked 24th last year for primary care according to U.S. News, and I think they are mid-60's this year for research. Over the last five years, MUSC has increased their research funding more than any other U.S. medical school. The averages for last year's entering class were 3.63 GPA and 29 MCAT. No way that is low-tier.

I don't know much about South Carolina in Columbia, but I think their stats are somewhat lower.

eternalrage said:
Low Tier: Harvard, JHU, Princeton, etc.

High Tier: McDonalds, ITT Tech, The Shed Outside My House, and Mercury
princeton doesn't have a med school. hahahaha. this is a dumb thread anyhow. who cares which one is low-tier. they all give u an MD.

i agree... this is a silly thread. all medical schools will provide good education and excellent preparation for actual practice. besides, tiers are relative: state schools for in/out state applicants, or primary care focus versus research/academic medicine focus, etc. i will say, though, that some schools do have slightly lower stats averages (like my state, university of hawaii), but do to limited space or funding issues or a general misconception that these schools will be easier to get into, will eventually cancel out the "lower tier" effect.

Members don't see this ad :)
Top-tier schools are the ones I get accepted to.

Mid-tier schools are the ones that offer me an interview.

Low tier school are the ones that don't offer me a secondary or a interview.

:smuggrin:

Now that's the best answer! lol

kalenakai said:
ditto that!

I too agree with the post, two posts above this one that I'm about to make.

Kalenakai,

Welcome to SDN. your profile has me amazed at all the stuff you've done.

sunnyjohn said:

I like your ranking system. I think I'll be adopting it :)

PHD_2007 said:
I have an old list but not much has changed on it. I'll try to locate it and send it to you in a PM. Give me a week or so to dig it up.

I would be happy to go to a low tier school but I would have to say that in the realm of SDN most commonly:
top tier =1-20 USNWR
mid tier =20-60 USNWR
lower tier =unranked USNWR

Hmmm, try again.

BrettBatchelor said:
I would be happy to go to a low tier school but I would have to say that in the realm of SDN most commonly:
top tier =1-20 USNWR
mid tier =20-60 USNWR
lower tier =unranked USNWR

a friend of mine is now an ms-2 at usc columbia and she is an in-stater. i'm trying to recall from memory so please advise that there could be some discrepancy, but the overall gpa ~3.2 with an mcat ~24. from what i here it is a good school, the students have a good time, and students still place in good residencies.

There are no lower tier medical schools. So long as they have their accredidation.

BrettBatchelor said:
OK smarty pants....what would you consider the three tiers?

Supadupafly said:
There are no low tier American Medical Schools. Even DO schools are great compared to other parts of the world.

On what basis? I think there are tons of great medical schools outside america. The only point of going to american med school is to practice in america. Don't be so provincial and think that american schools are the best.

keep in mind that some schools are unranked because they do not provide the information necessary to be ranked.

and there are no low-tier schools, just schools that have slightly lower standards, but are just as hard to get into, maybe even harder, since more people apply to them as "safety-schools"

Great post,

Lock the thread. :thumbup:

jtank said:
keep in mind that some schools are unranked because they do not provide the information necessary to be ranked.

and there are no low-tier schools, just schools that have slightly lower standards, but are just as hard to get into, maybe even harder, since more people apply to them as "safety-schools"

sunnyjohn said:

I believe this answers your question in its entirety. :thumbup: :D

Even if you think all the US MD schools are great, you can't deny that some of them have a better reputation than others. That's just reality. I mean I don't think the tier system means anything other than that. All of the schools are great. You might meet more famous people, make more connections, see more ground-breaking research at the top schools. But the medical education is bound to be good at any US school because it has to be for them to stay accredited.

I mean it's a stupid argument. Either you care or you don't care about ranking. If you deny that there is ranking, you're just being hard-headed. How can you deny that schools have different reputations? Personally I'll be glad to go to any school, but I'm still hoping to get into the more respected schools on my list.

edit: MUSC is no longer ranked by USNews in primary care (I have no clue how it fell so much in one year). I know some professors there and a few students and they like it a lot. It's an excellent school.

jtank said:

It's hard to imagine that a school which could anticipate falling high on a ranking spectrum would fail to provide the necessary information, so you are probably not too far wrong assuming that an unranked school would fall lower on such a ranking scale than a ranked school. However the criteria by which US News and others do their rankings may not mean a whole lot in terms of quality of one's medical education or subsequent residency placement. The biggest factor on the US News ranking list is research funding.
All US allopathic schools are very competitive, all churn out some very good doctors, and all have a good representation of competitive specialties in their residency match list. A great student in any such program with decent LORs, research, interviews and high board scores will probably have a chance at matching very well, notwithstanding not coming from Harvard or Hopkins. Prestige helps, but doesn't speak as loudly as scores and recommendations, in terms of getting good residencies (assuming we are only talking about accredited places). But if you really must rank them, the US News research ranking (with all its flaws) is as good a framework as any -- just assume the top 10-25 are top tier, the rest of the ranked ones are second tier, and the unranked ones are third tier. But bear in mind that a "third tier" student with super board scores will very often do better than a 1st tier with crummy ones.

limetree6 said:
On what basis? I think there are tons of great medical schools outside america. The only point of going to american med school is to practice in america. Don't be so provincial and think that american schools are the best.

I agree with this statement full heartedly. The only difference that America has, is that it has massive access to technological advances, etc

however, this is no way means that foreign doctors are horrible, or where that where they train is horrible.

The reason why a US medical school (regardless which school it is) is considered "better" than a foreign school is that a US school will give you the opportunity to match into any specialty in a residency in the USA. A foreign medical school grad will have a difficult time matching here compared to a US senior.

CTSballer11 said:
The reason why a US medical school (regardless which school it is) is considered "better" than a foreign school is that a US school will give you the opportunity to match into any specialty in a residency in the USA. A foreign medical school grad will have a difficult time matching here compared to a US senior.

See but no one ever questioned whether or not going to a US med school, for the intent of becoming a US physician, was better.

Obviously, if one wants to practice in the US, it is better to be in a US school.

However, what limetree6 and I were questioning is whether physicians who trained and live in other countries are incompetent or not.

CTSballer11 said:

See but no one ever questioned whether or not going to a US med school, for the intent of becoming a US physician, was better.

Obviously, if one wants to practice in the US, it is better to be in a US school.

However, what limetree6 and I were questioning is whether physicians who trained and live in other countries are incompetent or not.

CTSballer11 said:

Yeah, but Korean med school will give you the opportunity to match into any specialty in a residency in Korea, Japanese med school will do the same for their students in Japan. See the logic? US med schools are considered "better" in some cases, not because we produce better trained doctors, but because US schools invest more money in their research program in general compared to foreign ones. Are all US med schools are better than foreign ones? Definitely NO. There are very good foreign schools too. ;)