What schools can I apply to that have a rural track/emphasis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sparos

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Columbia has the Bassett track specifically for this, though it's quite competitive. Other schools that are located in rural areas, such as Dartmouth, would also probably have the resources you're looking for. Ultimately, you can become involved in rural health from any medical school, but it would probably be easier at a school in a rural location than at one in a major urban area.

Both of the Texas Tech schools put a huge emphasis on rural medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tufts has the Maine track and I think temple has some hospital sites that focus on rural medicine.

Reactions: 1 user
Colorado is worth a shot.

Last edited:
WVU is pretty OOS friendly and all about rural medicine. They do waitlist most OOSers initially, but some are getting outright acceptances.

Reactions: 1 users
Jefferson has the Physician Shortage Area Program (PSAP) for students interested in rural medicine.

Tulane has the Tulane Rural Medical Education Program (TRuMEd), which is a scholarship program specific to Louisiana.

MCW has a campus in Green Bay that is specifically geared toward rural medicine, but from their website it sounds like they have changed their curriculum quite a bit and their other campuses are now on a 3 year curriculum (what?).

Anyway, there are others, but those are a few that I knew a bit more about.

I've heard Colorado is pretty closed-off to OOS applicants, but if you think that it is worth a shot that would be great news to me. Love their program and the area
You can definitely get in as an OOS student. The real challenge is swallowing the COA.

Reactions: 2 users
Iu has a rural track though they tend to take only IS aplicants from rural counties.

Members don't see this ad :)
The University of Wisconsin has the WARM program (Wisconsin Academy for Rural Medicine) that takes a couple dozen students every year, but you must be a resident of WI or surrounding states (Minnesota, Michigan, Illinois, or Iowa) to apply.

University of Arizona has a rural track/emphasis. Rural Health Professions Program (RHPP). Rather open to OOS as well.

I'm pretty sure Texas schools accept less than 10% of OOS students

Very true -- But if you're one they decide to take, the tuition can't be beat :) You'll need strong stats though, as I suspect the TX schools use high-stat OOS students to raise their numeric averages.

Va Tech
Netter
U WV
Your state schools
Any DO school

Interested in practicing rural medicine, grew up in a rural area and has lots of clinical experience in rural areas, are there specific schools which I could apply to which emphasize rural training? I know there are a lot of state-serving schools with this mission, but I am wondering if there are schools which tend to open their doors to OOSers who want to do rural/underserved medicine.

Thanks!

I agree with Goro --- lots of ways to do this

First three years are the same, pretty much everywhere.

Fourth year is "choose your own adventure" and all MD and DO schools would be thrilled to help you set up rural / PCP electives in various places.

Honestly, compared to dealing with all the surgical subspecialty Sub I drama, etc -- such a request would be welcomed.

Internal Medicine residency is the similar --- as long as you hit the core requirements, ward, icu etc -- any reasonable place will help you get all the rural exposure you want.

Your experience may be different, but I was from a rural medical environment (population 2,000) and had rural medicine written all over my application, and I got no love from the schools that have a rural emphasis.

I wound up getting accepted to normal medical schools, or the normal track of schools that also have a rural track. I feel like I would have gotten the same results if I had never mentioned rural anything in my application in the first place.

Marshall and Mizzou also have rural tracks and are open to OOS candidates, I believe. I would suggest looking at schools' websites to see if they have anything remotely related to a rural medicine track.

Thanks everyone, this is helpful.

Dartmouth definitely seems to be more of a reasonable shot for me, thanks for the recommendation.

I've heard Colorado is pretty closed-off to OOS applicants, but if you think that it is worth a shot that would be great news to me. Love their program and the area

Colorado has about 30-40% OOS students but has rural track

Fourth year is "choose your own adventure" and all MD and DO schools would be thrilled to help you set up rural / PCP electives in various places.

Honestly, compared to dealing with all the surgical subspecialty Sub I drama, etc -- such a request would be welcomed.

Internal Medicine residency is the similar --- as long as you hit the core requirements, ward, icu etc -- any reasonable place will help you get all the rural exposure you want.

An excellent observation -- If your goal is to practice medicine in a rural area (and secure a residency that will train you well for that future), then this is the advice to follow. If your goal is to get into medical school using your "desire to serve in a rural area" as a 'hook', then you've got that advice also.

Va Tech
Netter
U WV
Your state schools
Any DO school

Thanks, I definitely plan on applying to Quinnipiac and several DO schools.

Thank you for the words of advice.

Your experience may be different, but I was from a rural medical environment (population 2,000) and had rural medicine written all over my application, and I got no love from the schools that have a rural emphasis.

I wound up getting accepted to normal medical schools, or the normal track of schools that also have a rural track. I feel like I would have gotten the same results if I had never mentioned rural anything in my application in the first place.

Yes, well who knows what they do in that black box we throw our applications in.

Both UA-Tucson and UA-Phoenix have significant rural health professions tracks. Includes sites throughout rural Arizona, nearby in New Mexico, and even Indian reservations.

Medical College of Georgia literally JUST announced a rural certificate. They are open to OOS

Also if I recall, Michigan State SOM had one too and they are open to OOS.