what schools could i possibly gain acceptance to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jes1ca

OP Resident
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok, so i should probably put this in another thread, but my scores and gpa are so much lower than everyone else's. i hope to get in umkc, but want to know about other schools. i would appreciate input.

2003 graduate from extremely good/unusual school
GPA=3.4 (both science and non science)
DAT=19/19/19 (AA, Science, PAT)
State of residency=MO (yes, that is missouri)
turned in=recently (received nov 10)
research experience=4 publications & 4 years experience during undergrad
dental experience=around 60 hours
personal statement=compelling

applied=umkc, upenn, cwr, nyu, nova, tufts, bu, creighton, columbia

interviews=umkc (12/15) and alternate list cwr (4/16)

rejected=none so far

Members don't see this ad.

Your scores are NOT much lower than everyone elses. Unless you meant 2.4 instead of a 3.4, you are fine.

Wow 4 publicatoins?? Thats huge how did you pull that off. That along will get you interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't understand why people keep posting stats that are average to above average and act like they are the worst stats in the world.

Undergrad Ed: Harvard University (major Bio-chem)
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.97 (one A- in history)
Science Undergrad. GPA: 4.00 /graduated with HONERS
Graduate Ed: Yale University, PhD in Nuclear Physics and Space Shuttle Engineering
Cumulative Graduate GPA: 4.00
Science Graduate GPA: 4.00

I am 19 years old...

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: 27/26/25 (I was not feeling well) :(
2nd DAT: Academic, Science, PAT 29/29/26 :rolleyes:

Extracurricular/Research Activities: 4 publications in JAMA (Journal of American Medical Association), 2 publications in ?Neurology?, 3 publications in ?Stroke?
3 years as a dental assistant
over 500h of side chair observation
1 year work in dental lab

Schools Applied: total of 40 schools but I think I will add some more ? the more schools I apply to the better my chances are, right?

AADSAS Submitted Date: June

Schools Received AADSAS Date: July

Interview Invites: everywhere

Denied: not yet but I am prepared for it ?

Withdrew Application: hell no

Waitlisted: not yet

Accepted: Only if I am lucky

Do I have a chance? I know that my stats are below average and my chances of getting accepted are VERY slim so any input will be helpful ? Thank you!

Originally posted by boyan
Undergrad Ed: Harvard University (major Bio-chem)
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.97 (one A- in history)
Science Undergrad. GPA: 4.00 /graduated with HONERS
Graduate Ed: Yale University, PhD in Nuclear Physics and space shuttle engineering
Cumulative Graduate GPA: 4.00
Science Graduate GPA: 4.00

I am 19 years old...

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: 27/26/25 (I was not feeling well) :(
2nd DAT: Academic, Science, PAT 29/29/26 :rolleyes:

Extracurricular/Research Activities: 4 publications in JAMA (Journal of American Medical Association), 2 publications in ?Neurology?, 3 publications in ?Stroke?
3 years as a dental assistant
over 500h of side chair observation
1 year work in dental lab

Schools Applied: total of 40 schools but I think I will add some more ? the more schools I apply to the better my chances are, right?

AADSAS Submitted Date: June

Schools Received AADSAS Date: July

Interview Invites: everywhere

Denied: not yet but I am prepared for it ?

Withdrew Application: hell no

Waitlisted: not yet

Accepted: Only if I am lucky

Do I have a chance? I know that my stats are below average and my chances of getting accepted are VERY slim so any input will be helpful ? Thank you!
You beat me to it, boyan. :D

hmmm...an A- in history. That just ruined your chance for dental school altogether. So have fun trying to explain that to the adcom's

You might want to consider a change in careers and try something like...teaching pre-school :laugh:

Yeah, these people with good stats need to much damn reassurance. They need to go get it from their mom and dad and not us.

that was great boyan

ok Boyan, that was funny as hell.:laugh:

But seriously, to jes1ca, hopefully our sarcasm doesnt scare you away, we are all as stressed as you.

You applied pretty late, however you have a great DAT score, and a good GPA. You research will REALLY help you out like Freddy said, you chose the schools you are applying to well, and if you have a personality to back everything up I think you will be fine. Only thing not going for you is the late application, but that can easily be overcome.

Oh ya, add your stats to the 2004 applicants stats page!

Worst thing you got going for you is the "late" application. Schools tend to get more selective as the classes begin to fill up. I see alot of interviews coming up for you.

When is it considered late? People applying now are late?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, most schools will have filled hald of their class by next week. If you are just applying now you are very late. This doesn't mean you don't have a chance, just that things get more competitive as less and less seats are available.

HEY!! How come Boyan gets praised while I get a thread of hate towards me for pointing out the same point?

Originally posted by jaap
Yes, most schools will have filled hald of their class by next week. If you are just applying now you are very late. This doesn't mean you don't have a chance, just that things get more competitive as less and less seats are available.
Jaap's right--but don't get too discouraged! I didn't apply till Christmas, interview till February, or get my acceptance letter till 4 days before my tuition deposit was due :D So you have a challenging, but doable, task before you. It's not that different from dental school itself, looking at it in that light ;)

just so that you know, UMKC is one of the schools that started their app procedures very late.

i have been in contact with them for a while (it is one of my top choices) and i know that they are behind other schools.

considering that they give the most priority to MI residents, i think that your chances of getting in there with your stats are still high. yes, eventhough you are late.

good luck!!

Do any of you know exactly how much consideration UMKC gives KS residents? I'm only 5 min out of MO, does that count? ;)
fingerstick

I have a qucik question since the subject of grades where bought up.

I am hoping to graduate or matriculate in 2 years at Stonybrook University or anyone else that will take me(Arizona sounded promising concerning getting accepted with 90 credits). Now my grades should be decent I have a 3.1 GPA, I haven't taken my DAT yet but plan too next year. What is considered a good score?

But how difficult is it to get into Stonybrook University? I love there tuition :love: They state you can matriculate with 60 credits but I doubt anyone can complete there prereq. in 2 years and I assume you have to be very impressive to get in with an associates degree.

Stony's dental school is difficult to get into-- they take 35 students a year. If you are a New York State resident (judging from your user info it looks like you are), you should have a good shot at Stony if you have good DAT scores (20/20) and good GPA (say 3.3 or higher).

If you are an out-of-stater, it's almost impossible to get in there unless you have incredible stats.

UBTOM how difficult is it to matriculate with Stonybrook or UB for example with 90 college credits instead of the degree im sure I will get my GPA up to def. a 3.3 at least.

Has it ever been done before.

IN the ADEA guide it says Stony needs a gpa of 3.5 and it seems like it only takes in-state students.

to Kent100s78:

Yes, it has been done before. So far everyone who took that route that I've met/spoken to did that through a 7-year combined program though. Both SUNY dental schools have an affiliation with a dozen undergrad institutions where the student finishes 90 credits, start dental school, and is awarded their bachelors after finishing the first year of DS.

My classmate Griffin04 did exactly that.

7-year combined programs are pretty common though... My sister also went through a combined program for her BA and DDS (at NYU).