What schools do on match day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Grubbe-a-dub-dub

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This has likely been discussed here before, but in the spirit of match day, I was curious as to what different schools do on match day. My school, for example, rents out the neighboring pharmacy schools gym and hands out the students envelopes with light food and drinks. Students open them when, where, and how they wish. It's a cute, fancy affair full of emotion.

What does your school do?

Members don't see this ad.

I go to a DO school - they are doing the same thing they do every other day.

:cryi:

At least I'm wearing PJs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Hi all,

This has likely been discussed here before, but in the spirit of match day, I was curious as to what different schools do on match day. My school, for example, rents out the neighboring pharmacy schools gym and hands out the students envelopes with light food and drinks. Students open them when, where, and how they wish. It's a cute, fancy affair full of emotion.

What does your school do?

We went to the school's auditorium where they spoke to us a little bit and handed us our envelopes. We could decide where to open them. Afterwards, there was a lunch with beer/wine in one of our other buildings that everyone and their families were invited to. After that, our student council had set up a free open bar at a bar/restaurant from 3-6pm. Later that night (after 10pm), they had reserved another bar/restaurant and secured drink specials. Incidentally, St. Patty's day was the day after match day during my year, so that weekend became a bit of a blur. Awesome memories.

My school went to an outdoor bar/club. Everyone put a dollar into a bucket. The envelopes were randomized, and we each went up...in that random order....opened the envelope in front of a mic and announced to all our classmates and our gathered families where we matched. You had the option to open your envelope privately. The last person to go got the pot of money. We ate, we drank, we celebrated.

University of Arizona-Phoenix had a cool thing where people pull down on balloons and their match results fall on them:

Reactions: 1 user
We don't do crap. Just facebook and a google doc to find out where everyone goes. Not that I would want a big party anyways, especially if that means having to travel back to my school. College basketball and some brewskis are just fine with me!

The class puts together video skits (humorous videos mixed with well wishes from faculty). Then one student (chosen by the class) gives a toast, we drink our sparkling apple cider, we get called down one-by-one and have the option of announcing where we're going. Many faculty, residents, younger med students, family, friends, nurses, etc. attend. We do the dollar in the bucket thing. The school then throws us a party that night.

Last edited:
We have a class meeting, followed by the ceremony when we pass out envelopes with champagne. Once all the envelopes are handed out, someone makes a toast, and then we open our envelopes together. Then we go for a lunch sponsored by the alumni association. Later in the evening, we have a bar night for everyone to come celebrate with us.

We propose to our girlfriends and hopefully walk out engaged

We have a week long celebration with nightly events of going out +/- booze to various pre-arranged locations for the entire class. The night before is the big night for this when most people catch up and have a few drinks.

On match day, we go to the auditorium and we're called up randomly. Each person drops a dollar in a bucket, and the last person to be called wins the pot. People take envelopes back to their seats and open with family or friends.

Tomorrow night is a big night where we rent a huge boat and have a prom-like cruise on it. Good times.

My school went to an outdoor bar/club. Everyone put a dollar into a bucket. The envelopes were randomized, and we each went up...in that random order....opened the envelope in front of a mic and announced to all our classmates and our gathered families where we matched. You had the option to open your envelope privately. The last person to go got the pot of money. We ate, we drank, we celebrated.

Yup, we do the same thing.

It sort of sucks for people who are not happy with their match, because it's usually pretty obvious when they open the envelope and then stomp off without announcing where they matched. At the end, they pass out a list with where everyone matched, so everyone will know in a few minutes anyway. I have to give props to the people who are unhappy, but gut it out and announce anyway.