MD & DO What schools do you recommend?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Med Applicant

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am getting ready to apply to MD and DO school this upcoming cycle and would like some help on figuring out some schools I should apply to given my stats:

State of Residence: Utah
cGPA: 3.64 sGPA: 3.58
MCAT: 498

For the most part I have competitive ECs. I have a strong background in research with several publications and oral presentations at professional conferences across North America. I have thousands of patient hours as well as many volunteer and shadowing hours.

I know my MCAT score is not the best and will be retaking it this spring but I would like some help with any recommendations anyone may have for low tier MD or DO schools I could/should apply to given my current stats. All recommendations are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

That MCAT is too low for any MD school and bottom of the barrel for DO as well. If you're planning on a retake, it isn't really going to do much to recommend a list now (and that list would be really short anyway).

Reactions: 1 user
You need to retake the MCAT and get a 503+ ish for DO and a 510+ for MD. Your MCAT is too low to consider applying with that score unless you want to try your luck with the brand new DO schools. If you apply this coming cycle with that score then aim for the RVU-UT DO program that will open in St. George. With that score it might be your best shot.

Your GPA is fine for any DO school but your MCAT is too low for many schools. Schools to consider with your MCAT include:
ACOM
BCOM
CUSOM
LUCOM
UP-KYCOM
LMU-DCOM
WCU-COM
WVSOM
VCOM (all 3 schools)
Any new DO schools that open in 2017 ( there will be several).