**What Schools Should I Apply To? / What Are My Chances?** (Read if this is you)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So here I am wondering what schools to apply to more like how many.
Stats:
AA : 21
PAT: 19
cGPA:3.54
Sci GPA 3.38

Had a rough freshmen year but have done good in upper level bio and chem work. Two C's are keeping gpa lower then hoping, but a strong upward trend in last 2 years. Have a few hundred service hours and ~ 75 shadowing hours when time comes. I have 17 schools im considering and I am a rural MN resident. Her is my list of possible schools which ones should I rule out or should I do all of them that might seem to desperate and lack confidence? Also I am a business major but have ~ 70 credits in the sciences.
Arizona School of Dentistry
Boston University
Case Western Reserve University
Creighton University
LECOM School of Dental Medicine
Marquette University
Midwestern University
Midwestern University, Illinois
New York University
Nova Southeastern University
University of Southern Nevada
Temple University
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of Southern California
Western University of Health Sciences

Members don't see this ad.

Well here we go. I'll be taking the DAT in a few months but would appreciate any negative or positive feedback. I know it may be hard to assess without DAT scores, but I will update once I take the test.

Ohio resident
Emory University: Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology BS, Anthropology BA
NIH 2 year fellowship as a researcher

GPA 3.1
sGPA 3.0
5 post-bac science sources 3.5

Right now I am working in medical device sales and shadowing a dentist who splits his time between private practice and the clinic at Ohio State, so he remains well-connected (for what it's worth).

I obviously want to apply to OSU and Case, but it's hard to pick the rest. I want to chose wisely and focus really hard on schools where i'd be competitive.

Well here we go. I'll be taking the DAT in a few months but would appreciate any negative or positive feedback. I know it may be hard to assess without DAT scores, but I will update once I take the test.

Ohio resident
Emory University: Neuroscience and Behavioral Biology BS, Anthropology BA
NIH 2 year fellowship as a researcher

GPA 3.1
sGPA 3.0
5 post-bac science sources 3.5

Right now I am working in medical device sales and shadowing a dentist who splits his time between private practice and the clinic at Ohio State, so he remains well-connected (for what it's worth).

I obviously want to apply to OSU and Case, but it's hard to pick the rest. I want to chose wisely and focus really hard on schools where i'd be competitive.

Why did you change from pre-med to pre-dental?

Members don't see this ad :)
So here I am wondering what schools to apply to more like how many.
Stats:
AA : 21
PAT: 19
cGPA:3.54
Sci GPA 3.38

Had a rough freshmen year but have done good in upper level bio and chem work. Two C's are keeping gpa lower then hoping, but a strong upward trend in last 2 years. Have a few hundred service hours and ~ 75 shadowing hours when time comes. I have 17 schools im considering and I am a rural MN resident. Her is my list of possible schools which ones should I rule out or should I do all of them that might seem to desperate and lack confidence? Also I am a business major but have ~ 70 credits in the sciences.
Arizona School of Dentistry
Boston University
Case Western Reserve University
Creighton University
LECOM School of Dental Medicine
Marquette University
Midwestern University
Midwestern University, Illinois
New York University
Nova Southeastern University
University of Southern Nevada
Temple University
University of Maryland
University of Michigan
University of Minnesota
University of Southern California
Western University of Health Sciences

Try to keep prices in mind. That's something I wish I would have considered before applying. It's easy to apply to expensive places but once/if you get accepted it's hard to face the reality of signing your life away with a 500k loan.

Keep Creighton on your list, they offer lots of OOS seats and are one of the cheapest private schools in the country. I'm assuming MN has reasonable in state tuition so apply there as well. You have decent stats and can be somewhat picky...possibly think about taking some of the brand new schools off your list unless you really want to go there or want them as a backup option.

Why did you change from pre-med to pre-dental?

Where in my post did I say that?

Sorry if I'm being sensitive here, but I find posts like yours to be annoying and not very constructive, seeing as you didn't answer any of my questions or address a single aspect of my post.

Where in my post did I say that?

Sorry if I'm being sensitive here, but I find posts like yours to be annoying and not very constructive, seeing as you didn't answer any of my questions or address a single aspect of my post.

Well if you have taken MCAT several times or have applied to Med. schools in last couple of years then dentistry is not your true passion my barat/haver.

Well if you have taken MCAT several times or have applied to Med. schools in last couple of years then dentistry is not your true passion my barat/haver.

When did I mention the MCAT or med school in my post at all? Projecting much? :thumbdown:
I didn't post in a thread pertaining to switching from pre-med to pre-dent which I'm sure exists on here. I posted my stats, major, residency and other useful information in order to get some feedback from knowledgeable posters. You aren't interviewing me or judging the legitimacy of my application. :idea:

Your posts, questions, and judgments have nothing to do with this thread nor my post within it.

Please go troll elsewhere and quit hijacking the purpose and content of this thread.

I'd really appreciate feedback from someone who wants to address my post and questions.

hi,
Very nice says.
But can you tell me, if I want to make my carrier in dentistry then what is the proper way to do its study?
Reply me as early as possible. Its urgent
Thank you.

HI all,

Soooo me:
- Canadian and South African citizen
- graduating spring of 2013 at a Canadian University
- 3.5 - 3.6 cGPA
- Science degree majoring in Psychology
- Canadian DAT: AA 20, TS 20, BIO 21, GC 20, PA 22
- 100 hours of shadowing
- 4 AADSAS LOR's: Biochemistry prof, Biology prof, Psychology prof, General Dentist

I've been struggling to make a list of schools to apply to this cycle. this is what I've got so far, criticize it! give me tips/suggestions if you will!

Loma Linda University
boston University
Tufts
NY Buffalo
Oregon HSU
Nova
Pittsburgh
maryland
midwestern AZ
detroit mercy

Columbia (possible)
Temple (possible)

Thanks!:xf::luck:

For me.
I am Asian and CA Resident

AA 22
PAT 21

Overall GPA: 3.72
Science GPA: 3.72

~80 hrs shadowing
~150 hrs Dental Volunteering
~100 hrs Volunteering at a hospital

L o R from Gen.Chem prof, ochem prof, microbio prof, and two from dentists.
5 Leadership positions.
TA Excellence Award Nomination.

I am looking to apply:
UoP
UCSF
UCLA
Tufts
University of Penn
UNC
Michigan
U of Washington
Univ of Maryland-Baltimore
SUNY-Stony Brook

Thanks in advance.

Impressive list you have here! I'm currently residing in Champaign, Illinois. Do you have other dental school suggestions aside from the ones you listed?

Hi everyone... So planning to apply next week and this is my tentative list. My major question would be, should I plan to re-take my DAT/indicate this to schools (It would be mid-July) or should I just take the chance on my current scores? (Concerned about PAT/RC but happy with Science)

sGPA: 3.71
BCP GPA: 3.72
oGPA: 3.7

DAT (AA/TS/PAT) : 20/22/18
Bio: 22, GC: 23, OC: 21, RC: 18, QR: 18

100+ hours volunteering, ~55 hours shadowing (continuing throughout the summer), 2 internships (one at a Dental Software company), 1+ year cancer research, tutoring, etc...

Tufts
BU
NYU
Pitt
Temple
UPenn
Columbia
USC
UCSF
U of Pacific
UMDNJ
UConn
Nova

Any that aren't worth applying/should add? Worth it to re-take DAT? Thanks so much for the input in advance?

Hi everyone... So planning to apply next week and this is my tentative list. My major question would be, should I plan to re-take my DAT/indicate this to schools (It would be mid-July) or should I just take the chance on my current scores? (Concerned about PAT/RC but happy with Science)

sGPA: 3.71
BCP GPA: 3.72
oGPA: 3.7

DAT (AA/TS/PAT) : 20/22/18
Bio: 22, GC: 23, OC: 21, RC: 18, QR: 18

100+ hours volunteering, ~55 hours shadowing (continuing throughout the summer), 2 internships (one at a Dental Software company), 1+ year cancer research, tutoring, etc...

Tufts
BU
NYU
Pitt
Temple
UPenn
Columbia
USC
UCSF
U of Pacific
UMDNJ
UConn
Nova

Any that aren't worth applying/should add? Worth it to re-take DAT? Thanks so much for the input in advance?

Dont retake the DAT, you got an awesome TS score which you probably wont be able to get again if you retake. The PAT and RC is above the cutoffs and should be acceptable. Your GPA is exceptionally high and will probably carry more weight than your DAT. I would remove BU, Nova, and USC from your list those 3 schools aren't well liked on this site for various reasons. Add University of Maryland, I heard they're program is amazing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any idea which schools are open to students with a foreign bachelor's degree, but has taken all his/her prereqs in the United States at a 4 year university institution?

also, I am a permanent resident right now, have lived in california for 2 years and have a california drivers license.
I will apply this 4th of June.. .but will be moving to Atlanta Georgia in August to be with my wife until I get into a dental school. Wondering which state I'm a resident of when I apply...
kinda confusing.

No one answers here very often, so I removed the question.

Last edited:
Hey guys, what do you think my chances are? I know my GPA isn't the greatest but hopefully my DAT scores balance them out...

sGPA: 3.29
BCP GPA: 3.22
oGPA: 3.39

DAT (AA/TS/PAT) : 21/21/21
Bio: 23, GC: 19, OC: 23, RC: 19, QR: 19

I have over 300 hours of dental experience, other volunteer experiences, and did research for over a year.

hey guys i was just wondering what my chances are of getting in. My oGPA is about a 3.0, sGPA about a 2.7. I have about 300 shadowing hours with 3 different general dentists, worked as a dental assistant for one of them, about 30 hours of volunteer work (i started not too long ago), and i've been doing research for almost a year, and i'm also an URM (brazilian). I'm from NJ so i'm def. applying to UMDNJ but besides that what would be the best option?

No idea about your chances, but go Brazil! Espero que uma pessoa tao chique quanto foce pode alcancar este grande desejo para ser uma dentista! Boa sorte! (sou um brasileiro de coracao :)

My stats:
3.7 sGPA
3.8 GPA
I have made all A's since my freshman year (transferred and I was playing football and traveling with the team)
DAT:
PA: 22
QR: 23
RC: 23
Bio: 24
GC: 28
OC: 25
TS: 26
AA: 25
I have a good amount of EC, community service, and leadership positions. I have around 100 hrs of general dentist shadowing.
I am applying to:
the 3 texas schools (Im a Texas resident)
Columbia
Penn
Harvard
Should I do more or less?

Hey Everyone,

What do you think my chances are getting into University of Maryland?

DAT: 20/21/19 (AA/TS/PAT)
oGPA: 3.85
sGPA: 3.80

Thanks

I need an opinion for my application weak/strong/will they take me?

Asian
Major: Biochemistry
AA:19
PAT:19
TS: 19
sGPA: 4.0
cGPA: 4.0
shadowing hrs: 130

hey, i read the requirements of Temple. they did not said anything abt community college.

hey, I would love to apply to low cost school. I saw ur post abt the Buffalo school. But when I look at the tuition for OOS, they dont look cheap. do they have special offers?? thanks

Tuition is of no concern to me, I just wanna get in...ANYWHERE

Are the figures in the first page still valid? They are three years old so wondering if something has changed for the out of state schools.

Are the figures in the first page still valid? They are three years old so wondering if something has changed for the out of state schools.

Sort of. I don't think NYU is accepting internationals this year for their international program. I'm like 60% sure on this one. I think international dentists who wish to practice in the US have to apply for the traditional 4 year program.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=926575

60 credits at CC(all prereqs done there). GPA 4.0 overall

currently at a 4 year uni (top 60 nationally) GPA 4.0 1st semester with 2 upper level science classes. Expecting a 3.5+ this semester. Will take many more upper level science classes in the next 3 semesters.

DAT scores:

PAT 18
QR 18
Reading 17
Bio 18
Chem 20
Orgo 21
TS 19
AA 19

Applying in 2013 for 2014 matriculants. In state for UMDNJ.

chances?

also what other schools do I got a chance at? (besides meharry and howard)

60 credits at CC(all prereqs done there). GPA 4.0 overall

currently at a 4 year uni (top 60 nationally) GPA 4.0 1st semester with 2 upper level science classes. Expecting a 3.5+ this semester. Will take many more upper level science classes in the next 3 semesters.

DAT scores:

PAT 18
QR 18
Reading 17
Bio 18
Chem 20
Orgo 21
TS 19
AA 19

Applying in 2013 for 2014 matriculants. In state for UMDNJ.

chances?

also what other schools do I got a chance at? (besides meharry and howard)

Is there a reason you arent taking 3 or 4 science courses? It would be prudent to carry a heavy science courseload now that you are at university.

NYU maybe changed? I emailed them about my CC credits and I did take Gen chem 1 and 2 at CC and they said it's not a problem. Just FYI

Can this information be updated with 2011 data?...I am willing to help to compile data if someone is thinking about it.

I understand chances are slim to none, but at this point - which are my best chances. I want to pick maybe 5 including NYU.

I had a huge snafu with my transcripts and they're just getting to Aadsas.....

1. NYU (168)
2. Tufts (121+52, they are gradually adding 52 additional seats by 2011 as part of the Vertical Expansion Initiative.)
3. Temple (98)
4. Boston University (91)
5. Midwestern AZ(82)
6. Creighton (79)
7. Louisville (76, they added 35 more OOS seats this year)
8. Pittsburgh (72)
9. Western (64 total)
10. Maryland (57)
11. USC (55)
12. Case Western (50)
13. Buffalo (48)
14. Virginia Commonwealth (45)
15. Nova (43)
16. Michigan (42)
17. Marquette (40)
18. Indiana (30)
19. Detroit Mercy (27)
20. Midwestern IL(Unknown)

I understand chances are slim to none, but at this point - which are my best chances. I want to pick maybe 5 including NYU.

I had a huge snafu with my transcripts and they're just getting to Aadsas.....

1. NYU (168)
2. Tufts (121+52, they are gradually adding 52 additional seats by 2011 as part of the Vertical Expansion Initiative.)
3. Temple (98)
4. Boston University (91)
5. Midwestern AZ(82)
6. Creighton (79)
7. Louisville (76, they added 35 more OOS seats this year)
8. Pittsburgh (72)
9. Western (64 total)
10. Maryland (57)
11. USC (55)
12. Case Western (50)
13. Buffalo (48)
14. Virginia Commonwealth (45)
15. Nova (43)
16. Michigan (42)
17. Marquette (40)
18. Indiana (30)
19. Detroit Mercy (27)
20. Midwestern IL(Unknown)

It really depends on your stats, but consider: NYU, USC, Tufts, Boston and (maybe) Midwestern AZ. Yeah they are the more expensive schools, but they also seem to be on a slightly later interview schedule.

Hello,
Can I get some opinions?

So I did crazy bad during my first 4 years (on and off with lots of bad grades + W's all over the place)
and I just finished one year with straight A's, school comes very easy to me now when i focus.
If i keep up this trend for couple more years, do well on the DAT, and gain some EC's.
my GPA by then would be a 3.5

Would I then stand a chance?

Thank you for any sincere advice.

Hello,
Can I get some opinions?

So I did crazy bad during my first 4 years (on and off with lots of bad grades + W's all over the place)
and I just finished one year with straight A's, school comes very easy to me now when i focus.
If i keep up this trend for couple more years, do well on the DAT, and gain some EC's.
my GPA by then would be a 3.5

Would I then stand a chance?

Thank you for any sincere advice.

Hi there! Yes, most definitely. If you have a 3.5 GPA and good DAT scores, you will have a good chance. Remember, every single college course you took (even at a community college) will be included in your GPA. Also, W's look really bad especially if you have a lot. So, I would try retaking classes that you did poorly on and retake those classes that you withdrew from previously. You will also have an opportunity to explain your grades in either your PS or in the secondaries. Good luck and study well! It's great that you're pulling A's now!

Can someone please help!

I got into UK and NYU, can someone please give me some advice which school? like pros and cons maybe? Im oos so there is not much difference in tuition.

Can someone please help!

I got into UK and NYU, can someone please give me some advice which school? like pros and cons maybe? Im oos so there is not much difference in tuition.
Your Welcome!

Last edited:
thanks for the advice:))))))))

First time poster:
applying next year. CC prereqs. At uni now.

GPA: 3.7 science, 3.8 overall.

DAT breakdown:
Perceptual ability 18
Quantitative reasoning 18
Biology 18
Reading comprehension 17
General Chemistry 20
Organic Chemistry 21
Academic Average 19
Total Science 19

Schools list:

1. UMDNJ (in-state)
2. Midwestern (illinois)
3. Arizona
4. UCSF
5. Western
6. USC
7. LECOM
8. Indiana
9. Maryland
10. Michigan
11. Minnesota
12. UNLV
13. NYU
14. Buffalo
15. Ohio state
16. Case western
17. Penn
18. Pittsburgh

Which schools I have zero to slim chance of getting into?

Thanks..

So I'm thinking about dental school in the future and I currently hold a bachelors from FSU, however, it is in Hospitality Management which does give me any of the prereqs required for D.D.M. programs. I'm planning on taking some science prereqs this fallowing year and applying to dental hygiene school but I don't want to limit myself there and continue to a dental program. So my question is what would be my best approach as to obtaining those required pre-dental courses (second bachelors, non-degree, etc). THANKS!

So I'm thinking about dental school in the future and I currently hold a bachelors from FSU, however, it is in Hospitality Management which does give me any of the prereqs required for D.D.M. programs. I'm planning on taking some science prereqs this fallowing year and applying to dental hygiene school but I don't want to limit myself there and continue to a dental program. So my question is what would be my best approach as to obtaining those required pre-dental courses (second bachelors, non-degree, etc). THANKS!

Take only the pre-reqs and a hand full of upper level biology courses like anatomy, biochem, microbio, physiology etc. No need to get a 2nd degree and even less need for a dental hygiene school. During this time shadow dentists, volunteer and take your DAT. I went from a business degree w/ 0 pre-reqs in Spring 2011 to going to dental school in Fall 2013, so its about a 2 year time frame.

As for how your school will charge you tuition and let you sign up for courses, you may need to declare a 2nd major knowing you won't complete it. Just pick biology. At my school this lessens the tuition considerably and allows me to register with the other upper level students instead of non-degree seeking who register as a last priority. I am not sure how it is at other schools.

Hi all,

This is my first posting and would like a little advice. My stats:

Overall GPA 3.6
Science GPA 3.3 A
DAT 21 (AA); PAT 21; my subsection scores were all between 20 and 22

Also, I went to one of the three top ranked liberal arts colleges (Amherst, Swarthmore, Williams) according to US News and World Report.

C+ in biochem pulled my science GPA down. Before biochem it was 3.4.

I'm planning to apply to dental school in the spring and am thinking about applying UPenn, BU, Tufts, Pitt, UConn, UMaryland, Temple maybe Columbia and a few others.

My question is, Do you think taking an extra science class will strengthen my application? I'm thinking about taking cell bio or microbio to pull up my science GPA (assuming I'd do well, and I think I would) and because I only took one more than the minimum of pre-dent courses (it was ecology). My pre-dental advisor says I really don't have to take another class (she's optimistic that I'll get in somewhere) but I'm looking for others to weigh in.

Thanks very much everyone. And I look forward to helping others!

Last edited:
nterview on Jan 7th 2013 at University Of Louisville
TS:20 AA:19 PAT:18 RC:18
Cumulative GPA 3.611 science GPA : 3.7

Do I still have a chance of getting in ? because this is the only choice I have. knowing that UK has rejected me ! :(:(:(:(:(:(

Hey All! So i've been thinking about dental school for awhile now(i'm 25 y/o)....however i'm currently working as a teacher. I graduated 3 years ago with my B.S. in Biology Education and 3.4 GPA but, all of the necessary pre-reqs I have taken have "expired." Should I retake all of the pre-reqs over which will delay me a few more years, or just go directly for a masters or another alternative route?

I was looking through the old posts for a similar question with an answer but just wanted some clarification.

At the end of this semester (spring 2013) I will have completed my sophmore year at a community college. I will have 62 crecit hours. I have taken my year of english, sociology, psychology, a year of general biology with labs, a year of general chemistry with labs, anatomy and physyology 1 with lab and elements of calculus 1. I know that a lot of schools will not accept more than 60 credit hours from a community college. Does this mean that I can just drop 2 credits and still get accepted? I took three fitness classes that I never cared if I got credit or not. It was more for me than the grade or anything. Does the 60 credit limmit apply to just the required prerequisites for dental school or does it apply to everything. I am only 2 over the limit and my GPA is 3.98.

This means that Fall 2013 I am planning on taking organic chemistry, microbiology, clac 2. Then spring 2014 organic 2, and maybe a and p 2. My last year I'd finish up with physics and take biochem 2.

Thank you so much for all the help.

Ok, here I will be applying this upcoming cycle. What can I do to improve more?

General Stats
School: Top 50 US News Ranking School
Major: Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
cGPA: 3.72
sGPA: 3.68
Upward trend: 3.5 freshman 3.9 senior year
Summa Cum Laude

DAT (taken once)
TS: 24 (99.1%)
AA: 23 (98.7%)
PAT: 21 (89.9%)

Research
(1) 3 years in undergrad, research scholarship, poster, senior thesis (summa cum laude)
(2) National Institutes of Health Postbacc Intramural Research Fellow
2 year long research, poster presentation, 5 publications, working on an independent project, and possibly 1st author publication

Dental Shadowing/volunteering
(1) general dentist shadowing: 60 hours
(2) dental clinic volunteering: 60 hours
(3) planning to shadow specialists

Non-dental Volunteering
(1) Homeless clinic 3 years
(2) Hospice 2 years
(3) Big Brothers and Big Sisters mentoring 1 year
(4) various service projects for the poor and underprivileged including ronald mcdonald house, pleasant place, and etc

Leadership
(1) Community service club president
- devised a mentoring/tutoring program to underprivileged kids
- devised several service projects including habitat for humanity, feeding homeless and etc.

(2) Japanese fencing club vice president
- taught beginners

Other ECs:
NIH Academy Health Disparity Fellowship program
- round table sessions with
- worked on an independent project on public health and health disparity

LOR:
(1) NIH National Institutes of Dental Craniofacial Research dental scientist faculty member
(2) Physical chemistry professor
(3) Biochemistry professor
(4) NIH National Institutes of Diabetes, Digestive disease and kidneys principal investigator (my boss)

Schools: Florida Resident and possibly Maryland resident if I wish to switch
Harvard
Columbia
UCSF
UCLA
Michigan
UPenn
Stony Brook
Florida
Maryland
VCU
Indiana