MD & DO What schools should I consider and how do I differentiate between them?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thf214

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently narrowing down schools to apply to for the next cycle. I am not sure how best to locate schools to apply to, and the schools all have such similar acceptance criteria that I do not know how to narrow them down beyond menial MCAT and gpa comparisons. Could someone give me a good criteria to find out if I am in range of school, or some other way to narrow down which schools I should be applying to? Also if there is a list of DO schools I would appreciate any feedback on which to look into.

cGPA: 3.52
MCAT: 36
ECs: good (involved in leadership positions in a few clubs + long term commitment to multiple clubs)
Research experience: good (published and multiple research internships)
Clinical Experience: weakest part (100 hours volunteering at hospital + 40 hours shadowing)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am currently narrowing down schools to apply to for the next cycle. I am not sure how best to locate schools to apply to, and the schools all have such similar acceptance criteria that I do not know how to narrow them down beyond menial MCAT and gpa comparisons. Could someone give me a good criteria to find out if I am in range of school, or some other way to narrow down which schools I should be applying to?
Other pertinent factors include: your state of residence, personal strengths (research, clinical, teaching)/institutional focus, total number of applications received, relative proportion of matriculates from OOS, regional bias, re-applicant status, MCAT retakes...
Why don't you show us what you have based on research so far?

I am currently narrowing down schools to apply to for the next cycle. I am not sure how best to locate schools to apply to, and the schools all have such similar acceptance criteria that I do not know how to narrow them down beyond menial MCAT and gpa comparisons. Could someone give me a good criteria to find out if I am in range of school, or some other way to narrow down which schools I should be applying to? Also if there is a list of DO schools I would appreciate any feedback on which to look into.

ECs: good (involved in leadership positions in a few clubs + long term commitment to multiple clubs)
Clinical Experience: weakest part (100 hours volunteering at hospital + 40 hours shadowing)

MSAR for MD schools and this http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/2015cib/2015_CIBfull-web.pdf for DO schools. Most state schools have a state and regional bias, so your best bet is to look at state and regional schools, state schools that have a higher than average OOS acceptance rate (EVMS and VCU for example), and private schools. You're fine for any DO school.

Reactions: 1 user
I am from Alabama, here is a (very) rough list of schools I am considering applying in order of preference (at least through the first few). I dont really want to know chances of getting in, just how do I go about targetting differences between schools so that I can figure out which ones I would like to apply to, and if someone has other schools that might be in my range if could apply to. They all appear about the same in the MSAR to some degree.

Reasonable chance:
University of Alabama
University of South Alabama
Tulane
Georgetown
George Washington
Albert Einstein School of Medicine
SUNY
Wake Forest
Drexel

Stretch
Tufts
Boston Univ

Major stretch/Dream Schools
UCal San Fran
Brown

Do: No clue

MSAR Online is your friend.

woltej1, thank you. the msar of this year must have left out that section