What schools to apply to 24 MCAT...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Osteopathinthemaking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there! I am writing to try to figure out what DO schools to apply to, everything is ready to be submitted as I applied last cycle so I will apply June 1st giving me a chance with my 3.3 overall 3.2 science GPA which may be raised to a around a 3.4c and a 3.3 s by the end of this semester as I am taking 3 higher level science courses. Amazing LOR and LOTS of EC esp with patient care (phlebtomotist, EMT, research…etc) VA resident! Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there! I am writing to try to figure out what DO schools to apply to, everything is ready to be submitted as I applied last cycle so I will apply June 1st giving me a chance with my 3.3 overall 3.2 science GPA which may be raised to a around a 3.4c and a 3.3 s by the end of this semester as I am taking 3 higher level science courses. Amazing LOR and LOTS of EC esp with patient care (phlebtomotist, EMT, research…etc) VA resident! Thanks guys!

With being a VA resident, I think you have a fair shot at EVSOM, VCOM, CUSOM. Try MUCOM as well.

VCOMs, LMU, generally any new school, LECOM.....

Honestly the more the better the chance that one of them overlooks your mcat or mistakes the second number for an 8 or 7.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

WVSOM
VCOM (all)
LMU
PCOM GA
CUSOM
WCUSOM
LECOM
KYCOM
Touro nv/Middletown
MUCOM
RVU
Maybe add on a few more you may like

Reactions: 1 users
What's the breakdown of your MCAT score?

24 won't destroy your chances if your breakdown is semi-balanced but it may give you just a little hurdle. Add new schools and the VCOMs, perhaps PCOM-GA. Bang out an awesome personal statement and like you said, submit early and apply broadly.

24 won't destroy your chances if your breakdown is semi-balanced but it may give you just a little hurdle. Add new schools and the VCOMs, perhaps PCOM-GA. Bang out an awesome personal statement and like you said, submit early and apply broadly.
Thank you for the insight! All of you guys! very helpful! I am still a bit nervous but I would like to avoid rushing to take the new MCAT

good luck hope u get in somewhere with ur stats

Reactions: 1 user
Burrell COM
VCOM-VC
LUCOM
LMU
WVSOM
KYCOM
ACOM
PNWU
WCU
Campbell
KCOM
SOMA
COMP-NW
LECOM-PA

WVSOM
VCOM (all)
LMU
PCOM GA
CUSOM
WCUSOM
LECOM
KYCOM
Touro nv/Middletown
MUCOM
RVU
Maybe add on a few more you may like

I really like this list. I would just take out RVU and replace it with KCUMB as a reach school. I wouldn't add ACOM or PNWU. They seem to be stat oriented with those not from the region.

I wouldn't add ACOM or PNWU. They seem to be stat oriented with those not from the region.
I find that hard to believe. Several members here last year (out of region) were accepted to ACOM with pretty low stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
I find that hard to believe. Several members here last year (out of region) were accepted to ACOM with pretty low stats.

I don't know about last year, but this year I did apply with very similar stats to OP and had no luck. They are not extremely stat oriented, but they do have cut offs. I was put in the second tier which usually don't get an interview (did not meet the 26 MCAT threshold and 3.3 GPA, was close). There maybe exceptions that are OOS, but I have not seen any. They put them on this list until they pass the threshold (another MCAT retake or fall grades sent). I am not sure how it works for the GPA, if both have to be above or just one, but this is how they decide interviews. Another member, who is already accepted , has stated he has not been offered an interview (was close to the threshold as well for MCAT and GPA).

Last edited:
honestly with a 24, i'd literally check every single school website that didn't have a strong state/region preference that precluded me.....anyone that didn't specifically say I missed the minimum would get an application

cast a wide net, brother/sister...you just need one fish

Reactions: 3 users
honestly with a 24, i'd literally check every single school website that didn't have a strong state/region preference that precluded me.....anyone that didn't specifically say I missed the minimum would get an application

cast a wide net, brother/sister...you just need one fish
52181151.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
I really like this list. I would just take out RVU and replace it with KCUMB as a reach school. I wouldn't add ACOM or PNWU. They seem to be stat oriented with those not from the region.
I am newish on SDN so I don't know how to apply to more than one of you so I randomly picked one to reply to! lol thank you for the list! I didn't even know Burrell was an up and coming school so that has me quite excited. Thank you all for your awesome input and please let me know if you have any other suggestions=)

The newest ones.

The problem is really that both your GPA and your MCAT are below averages. Even if you're GPA was a 3.5 or 3.6 it'd help a lot. Apply to all regional schools (especially any in-state schools) and the newer schools. You're going to want as many people seeing your application as possible. Make sure your personal statement and activities are engaging or they won't overlook the stats.

The problem is really that both your GPA and your MCAT are below averages. Even if you're GPA was a 3.5 or 3.6 it'd help a lot. Apply to all regional schools (especially any in-state schools) and the newer schools. You're going to want as many people seeing your application as possible. Make sure your personal statement and activities are engaging or they won't overlook the stats.

Totally agree with this. GPA & MCAT are both low. Competition every year goes up, regional tries are more favored. Make sure to address something related to DO in your PS to catch their attention.

edit... one more thing, it would help to have DO shadowing & a DO LOR too. :)

Burrell COM
VCOM-VC
LUCOM
LMU
WVSOM
KYCOM
ACOM
PNWU
WCU
Campbell
KCOM
SOMA
COMP-NW
LECOM-PA

I see KCOM as being quite a reach there. The average GPA is ~3.6 and MCAT is ~27. I'm not sure how a 24 and a 3.2 would fare.

Yeah it is deff. a lose lose with the GPA and MCAT but I do have great EC and LOR so we will have to see. Thank you guys so much!

I may make another thread asking this and be annoying but I will start here and ask do you guys know if there is anyway to help get off the wait list or the VCOM VC stats for wait list acceptance?
I failed to mention I think that I did apply to VCOM this year and was waitlisted..

I may make another thread asking this and be annoying but I will start here and ask do you guys know if there is anyway to help get off the wait list or the VCOM VC stats for wait list acceptance?
I failed to mention I think that I did apply to VCOM this year and was waitlisted..

Maybe try posting (but search first) in the VCOM thread for this cycle rather than make a new one. I don't know that school particularly but you would probably want to look to see if they accept updates/what kind of updates would matter/if they rank students or not and etc.

He's Virginian and he has a 24 MCAT, so it may be time to invoke the dreaded spectre of LUCOM. I would apply there if I were you, but I would only go there if all the other DO schools said no.

Did you interview at VCOM and have been waitlisted? Or are you on a wait list for an interview? If it's the former send in updates with what you have been doing etc. If it's the latter the interview season is about over so I'm not sure there is anything you can do st this point.
What have you done to improve your application ? Schools like and expect to see significant improvement on applications.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

Did you interview at VCOM and have been waitlisted? Or are you on a wait list for an interview? If it's the former send in updates with what you have been doing etc. If it's the latter the interview season is about over so I'm not sure there is anything you can do st this point.
What have you done to improve your application ? Schools like and expect to see significant improvement on applications.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2
Hey I have had an interview and am now wait listed… and I have been in classes but no final grades, are progress report grades useful? what about another LOR? or updates on EC?