What schools to apply to outside of Texas? 3.76c/3.69sci/31

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted388502

Hi!

I am currently a Teach for America corps member teaching science at a low income middle school in Houston, TX and I am planning to apply this upcoming June for the 2016-2017 cycle.

Extracurriculars:
Teach for America
Tour guide for my university and my department (3 years)
Medical Scribe (2 years - essentially 500+ hours of paid shadowing)
Teaching assistant for intro level physiology class - hold office hours (2 years)
Leadership position within major student organization (2 years)
Head of tutoring for my major honorary (1 year)
Teaching assistant for intro level biology class - taught lab section and recitation portion (1 year)
Volunteer at suicide hotline (~50 hours)
Did research my freshman and sophomore years, hated it, dropped it, but I did do it so I'll probably keep it on there
Not an EC, but I'm fluent in reading, writing, and speaking hindi and punjabi!

Academics:
BS Neuroscience in honors program with full scholarship to cover four years at a top 50 university at large public school
3.76c GPA, 3.69sGPA
31 MCAT (10PS/11VR/10BS)

LORs
bio professor I TAed for
my advisor - extremely strong letter as I was one of the first students in our major.
physics professor
scribe letter

I will be applying to all texas schools, but I want to know what other schools I should look at outside of TX as safeties that would be affordable in terms of price. Not really looking to apply to more than 15-20 schools. Currently my list is as follows:

Baylor
UTH
UT Southwestern
A&M
Galveston
San Antonio
Texas Tech
Mayo
Columbia
UCLA
UCSF

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

The OOS schools for average to good TX applicants are DO schools.
For TX applicants worthy of a recruitment scholarship, all the best private schools are good choices.
Only 193 of TX's 3870 applicants matriculated OOS (5%). This makes TX applicants very low yield for the usual schools that take a good number of OOS candidates.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
The OOS schools for average to good TX applicants are DO schools.
For TX applicants worthy of a recruitment scholarship, all the best private schools are good choices.
Only 193 of TX's 3870 applicants matriculated OOS. This makes TX applicants very low yield for the usual schools that take a good number of OOS candidates.
where did you find this info?

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 users
We can now update this to 215/4254 (still 5%). https://www.aamc.org/download/321466/data/factstablea5.pdf In summary, an OOS school would need a really good reason to use an interview spot for a TX candidate since their odds of leaving TX are so low (without significant inducement).

Just looking at these % IS matriculation rates just now it seems like alot of states have had significant changes in the past year. Texas dropped all the way down to 33% IS matriculation! PA went way down to 27%, Oklahoma down to 33%, Nebraska down to 35%. Many other examples like this. Pretty significant changes for one year.

Just looking at these % IS matriculation rates just now it seems like alot of states have had significant changes in the past year. Texas dropped all the way down to 33% IS matriculation! PA went way down to 27%, Oklahoma down to 33%, Nebraska down to 35%. Many other examples like this. Pretty significant changes for one year.
It's been some entertaining reading. I theorize that a lot of people jumped the gun on taking the old MCAT, came up short and applied anyway...

Reactions: 1 user
It's been some entertaining reading. I theorize that a lot of people jumped the gun on taking the old MCAT, came up short and applied anyway...

So you think things within 2 years will start looking more like 2013-2014 data and that this year is somewhat of an anomoly? I tend to think it's somewhat hard to say. Also this data is for last cycle; I'm guessing a lot of people rushed to take the MCAT for this cycle and we could see similar data for this current cycle next year.

I guess have you been seeing more bad MCAT scores in your applicant pool this year than usual? That's obviously a sign that could indicate what you are saying that people rushed to take the old MCAT, got their 26's and 27's and said "screw it what do I have to lose to apply" and went ahead.

So you think things within 2 years will start looking more like 2013-2014 data and that this year is somewhat of an anomoly? I tend to think it's somewhat hard to say. Also this data is for last cycle; I'm guessing a lot of people rushed to take the MCAT for this cycle and we could see similar data for this current cycle next year.

I guess have you been seeing more bad MCAT scores in your applicant pool this year than usual? That's obviously a sign that could indicate what you are saying that people rushed to take the old MCAT, got their 26's and 27's and said "screw it what do I have to lose to apply" and went ahead.
Yes, I do think anticipation of the new MCAT altered the playing field by temporarily expanding the pool. Only time will tell.
At my school, the pool was actually even better (and larger) than usual.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
With a 31 MCAT score, I can't recommend that you apply to MD schools outside of TX (you're well below the 10th%iles for Columbia, UCSF and UCLA). You're fine for any DO school.

Hi!

I am currently a Teach for America corps member teaching science at a low income middle school in Houston, TX and I am planning to apply this upcoming June for the 2016-2017 cycle.

Extracurriculars:
Teach for America
Tour guide for my university and my department (3 years)
Medical Scribe (2 years - essentially 500+ hours of paid shadowing)
Teaching assistant for intro level physiology class - hold office hours (2 years)
Leadership position within major student organization (2 years)
Head of tutoring for my major honorary (1 year)
Teaching assistant for intro level biology class - taught lab section and recitation portion (1 year)
Volunteer at suicide hotline (~50 hours)
Did research my freshman and sophomore years, hated it, dropped it, but I did do it so I'll probably keep it on there
Not an EC, but I'm fluent in reading, writing, and speaking hindi and punjabi!

Academics:
BS Neuroscience in honors program with full scholarship to cover four years at a top 50 university at large public school
3.76c GPA, 3.69sGPA
31 MCAT (10PS/11VR/10BS)

LORs
bio professor I TAed for
my advisor - extremely strong letter as I was one of the first students in our major.
physics professor
scribe letter

I will be applying to all texas schools, but I want to know what other schools I should look at outside of TX as safeties that would be affordable in terms of price. Not really looking to apply to more than 15-20 schools. Currently my list is as follows:

Baylor
UTH
UT Southwestern
A&M
Galveston
San Antonio
Texas Tech
Mayo
Columbia
UCLA
UCSF

Thanks in advance!