What schools to apply to

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zodiac

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I was wondering if anyone could give me their insight into what schools I should look at when applying. I'm trying to build a list of potential schools where I have a decent chance of getting into (not selecting based on interests at this stage, just trying to make a general list).

- I am reapplying this year
- My 2013.07.28 (last summer) MCAT score is a 28 (10/9/9)
- My 2014.08.01 (this summer) MCAT score is a 35 (12/10/13)
- My GPA is a 3.351 (yes, I know, its terrible)
- I currently live in Nebraska

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Zodiac

Members don't see this ad.

Hi!

I was wondering if anyone could give me their insight into what schools I should look at when applying. I'm trying to build a list of potential schools where I have a decent chance of getting into (not selecting based on interests at this stage, just trying to make a general list).

- I am reapplying this year
- My 2013.07.28 (last summer) MCAT score is a 28 (10/9/9)
- My 2014.08.01 (this summer) MCAT score is a 35 (12/10/13)
- My GPA is a 3.351 (yes, I know, its terrible)
- I currently live in Nebraska

Any insight or advice would be greatly appreciated!

-Zodiac
Where are you a re-applicant?

(Looks at calendar. Sighs.)

Congrats on that 35. But it's September. So the critical question is: what's your AMCAS status? Submitted? Transcripts verified?

If you're not already verified, then you have about 9 months to pick your schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a re-applicant for University of Nebraska College of Medicine and Drexel University College of Medicine

Also, is it really too late? I see that most of these need to have the application sent by october 1st, doesnt that mean I have to send the application in before then?

I'm a re-applicant for University of Nebraska College of Medicine and Drexel University College of Medicine

Also, is it really too late? I see that most of these need to have the application sent by october 1st, doesnt that mean I have to send the application in before then?
A successful application has an adequate number of appropriately selected schools submitted in plenty of time to be considered for the majority of potential interview slots.

Though it is possible for you to get interviews with a good list, strong secondaries and excellent interviews, the number of interview spots for this cycle has already dramatically diminished.

If you've already submitted AMCAS and your transcripts are already verified, then go ahead and submit for UN & maybe Creighton.

Otherwise just sit this year out. Really.

Reactions: 1 user
YOur MCAT score is very good, so go ahead and apply but do ASAP (have everything submit LOR etc...) by 9/15, I think u still get at least a couple interviews.

Yes, it is late to be starting your application, especially at schools with an October 1 deadline. Most med schools seem to do rolling admissions, so deadline doesn't mean what it usually does. If you're turning in homework or paying a bill, you're on time as long as you turn it in the day it's due. Being early doesn't benefit you in those cases. Med school is different, although I didn't realize this at first either. Med schools start reviewing applications during the summer, long before their deadlines, and by the time the deadline comes around early applicants have already been given interviews, and maybe even accepted. If you turn in your application right before the deadline, by the time anyone has time to look at it there may be very few interview slots left. Even if you do get an interview at the end of the season, there won't be as many seats left. I've heard that sometimes interviews continue even when the best offer left to give is a spot on the wait list. Really, applying to medical school just before the deadline is a bit like applying with the minimum GPA and MCAT a school will consider; it's a case where you really don't want to just do the minimum.

Did you meet with Gigi at UNMC last year after being rejected? If so, did you make the improvements she suggested? This school is great about telling you exactly what held you back and is known for accepting reapplicants that took the advice given.

As others have stated, you are very late in the cycle. However, Drexel has had some pretty serious delays in sending out secondaries this year and many people who were complete back in July still have not received theirs, so you may still have a chance there. Still, with a lower GPA already working against you, I'd have to agree that you'd be better served by making sure all your ducks are in a row and applying early next cycle. Whatever you decide, good luck! :)