MD & DO What should I be doing now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorHopeful007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Quick background info: I'm currently a 6th semester (junior) biology major at penn state. Right now I'm sitting on a 3.12 overall GPA and a 3.06 science GPA. I'm also taking a kaplan prep course for the MCATs, and have been hitting about a 26/27 on my first few full lengths- taking them on May 31st. I just found out that I got into my summer organic chem lab, but it's too late to take up a hospital internship at this point for the summer. While I accept that MD school at this point is a long shot, I'd obviously still like to try for it, although I'm not against DO or podiatry. So, my question is where do I go from here? I know that I've got to bring up the GPA and MCATs, but is there anything more I can or should do over the summer? Any and all input would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
Quick background info: I'm currently a 6th semester (junior) biology major at penn state. Right now I'm sitting on a 3.12 overall GPA and a 3.06 science GPA. I'm also taking a kaplan prep course for the MCATs, and have been hitting about a 26/27 on my first few full lengths- taking them on May 31st. I just found out that I got into my summer organic chem lab, but it's too late to take up a hospital internship at this point for the summer. While I accept that MD school at this point is a long shot, I'd obviously still like to try for it, although I'm not against DO or podiatry. So, my question is where do I go from here? I know that I've got to bring up the GPA and MCATs, but is there anything more I can or should do over the summer? Any and all input would be great.
Your best shot at MD schools will come from a clear turn-around in grades from this point forward. I'd suggest aiming for an A- average or better for all of senior year and an added year of college (whether as an undergrad or postbaccalaureate) besides. If you can't do this while participating in ECs, then drop the added activities, as they won't do you any good if your grades are mediocre. A very strong MCAt score is necessary as well.