What Should I Bring My GPA Up To?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMajorUndergrad18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Fellow SDNers!!!

This semester has brought for me a mature sense of thinking about my future goals and also making decisions for my future (i.e joining a research lab) but there is one main problem that I have that needs to be rectified; my GPA (which is admittedly a 2.65 due to the fact I transferred over to a new school and I took 2 online classes in the summer). What GPA range should I try to get to at least be somewhat competitive for grad school? What tips could you give me for studying and retaining a solid GPA?

PsychMajorUndergrad18

Members don't see this ad.

What type of grad school program? If you want to get into a university-based doctoral program, you're going to need to shoot for a 3.5 at minimum, but higher to be competitive at most places. For a master's degree or some professional schools, it could be lower than that. You would want to think long and hard about attending a program that would students with lower than 3.0 from undergrad. As far as tips for studying and retaining information, that would depend on a lot of factors. There are great books out there on how to study, and your current university may have available tutoring, or studying / writing assistance. You should take advantage of those.

Reactions: 1 user
Right now I am more towards University-based programs in either I/O, Social or Clinical Psych. I do not know for sure which one I will ultiWhat mately decide on though. What other things should I be doing other than increasing my GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Honestly, the GPA is your primary issue right now. Even with an overall GPA that is pulled up, you're going to have to explain your previous grades in a compelling way. Get involved in some research if you can, and consider why you really want to do this. Those three programs you listed are extremely different from each other. There is also no rush - if you're not ready for school, that's okay too. I didn't apply for grad school until I was nearly 30 (not for grade reasons, but the point stands).

What year are you? If this is just a sliver of your academic tenure, I don't feel it's necessarily a deal-breaker. How are you doing in your psychology classes compared to other classes? If you have only been doing poorly for a semester and can turn things around, it might not be as big of a deal, especially if you gain solid research experience and can demonstrate commitment (on top of a good GRE, of course). I do think clinical psych programs are WAY more competitive than social or I/O programs. Ideally, you want to graduate with a GPA of at least 3.5, but the higher the better.

I am a first semester sophomore. I am hoping to have all Bs (with the expectation of one class that I will be retaking due to the professors inability to teach)

I am a first semester sophomore. I am hoping to have all Bs (with the expectation of one class that I will be retaking due to the professors inability to teach)
As you probably know, university based programs are going to most likely be highly competitive. There is only one GPA you should be trying for- a 4.0! I'm not sure why you'd ever try for less. What you will actually need to be competitive varies by program, but you'll likely be competing with applicants in the 3.5-4.0 range.

Watch out for attributing your academic performance to external factors (e.g., "transferring and having to take online classes"; "professor who couldn't teach"). Good students find a way to learn the material and produce work of sufficient quality to do more than a high-C average. You will competing against these students for grad school spots- students who got As despite crappy professors.

Reactions: 2 users
As you probably know, university based programs are going to most likely be highly competitive. There is only one GPA you should be trying for- a 4.0! I'm not sure why you'd ever try for less. What you will actually need to be competitive varies by program, but you'll likely be competing with applicants in the 3.5-4.0 range.

Watch out for attributing your academic performance to external factors (e.g., "transferring and having to take online classes"; "professor who couldn't teach"). Good students find a way to learn the material and produce work of sufficient quality to do more than a high-C average. You will competing against these students for grad school spots- students who got As despite crappy professors.

Good advice. I'd add one thing, specially as it relates to "professors who cant teach". You stated that you've matured and are thinking differently about grad school. That's fantastic. One more thing- in college and above, it's not really the professor's job to teach. I mean, it is... but it's also not. As you move past undergrad, this changes more. It's really your job to grasp that material and show that you have mastery over that material regardless (doesnt matter how they test you, etc). At that point, you're a professional student, and that is your job. If your thought is "that isnt fair", well, I've got news- neither are a lot of things. How you're judged, how professors interact with you in grad school isnt always going to be fair, and thats why perseverance matters. They're not going to just give you a graduate degree because it looks pretty on the wall- they're going to do it because you earned it.

Reactions: 2 users
I should have reworded my response above. I have been working with the professor to boost my grade up but it's very difficult now since I started out doing good but then I wasn't doing well. Plus if it helps more than half of the class has grades lower than me. Heck I am not complaining about how the professor isn't fair I am just saying that the class was difficult for me and that I am trying again either next semester or in the Fall to get a better grade. I understand the advice given to me by all of you guys and I am trying to boost my grade up without having to retake the course.

But what I am trying to ask you all is that if it is possible to boost my grade up to a acceptable and competitive score

But what I am trying to ask you all is that if it is possible to boost my grade up to a acceptable and competitive score

No one here can answer that for you. Do you know how to calculate a GPA? Count up how many credits you have remaining for your undergrad, and see if you can get your GPA to between a 3.5 and 3.7.

I also want to echo the above comments: be very careful who you blame your prior performance on. And if you don't LOVE college now, you will definitely not enjoy graduate school, it's basically a much much more intense version. Talk to a guidance counselor who you can spend a lot of time with, and bring a copy of your transcripts.

Members don't see this ad :)

Sure, it is possible!

So, after you figure out how to do it, tell us what worked for you.

Hate to say it...but sometimes it helps to replace SDN time with study time. SDN is good for some things, but at least in my experience, it is a procrastination tool at times....and keeps me from my real focus.

PsychMajorUndegrad

I can actually relate to your story, ( i had poor marks in my last degree), but I turned it around and became an A- student.

The two things that you need to be successful in school is self-confidence (related to school) and motivation. The way you get self-confidence about being a student is that you need to prove to yourself that commitment/studying = higher level of understanding and good grades. I had a fear of failure, so I use to essentially not study much because deep down I was worried I would study and still do poorly. I also had social anxiety issues, and that also translated to school anxiety. I decided that I could kill two birds with one stone. I could solve my issue of being so anxious for school/tests by studying. And the proper way to study was to study a bit each day instead of cramming. By doing that, I was also putting in the necessary effort, and if I did well grades wise, I could dispel my negative thoughts that I just wasn't smart enough. Once you prove something to yourself, it really has a big impact on your cognition.

But, how do you get and stay motivated? Well, for me, it was from a realization that I had a clear goal and dream to attain. I knew I wanted to become a Clinical Psychologist and nothing else. So every time I don't feel like studying, I think of the overall goal. I also often ask myself..is there honestly a better way I could see myself spending my time? And truthfully, beyond seeing friends and some other stuff, I actually found I enjoyed studying and learning. Ultimately, you need to believe that. You need to like the material and what you are learning. I've also found that a large part of becoming interested and motivated in the profession is being intellectually curious and asking questions. For example, maybe you don't enjoy Stats, but when you learn how specific statistics get applied in the real world (a context you enjoy), it excites you.

Last edited:
Start developing the mindset that anything less than an A is short of your goals. Do you have a resource on your campus to help with study skills, test taking strategies, note-taking, organization, etc.? I'd suggest you make full use of those resources. Go to your professor's office hours. Devote more time to studying. Get a tutor. Do whatever it takes.

Do people get into competitive programs with less than a 3.5 GPA? Yes, they certainly do. But it is best to aim toward looking like the "model candidate."

Reactions: 1 users
And if you don't LOVE college now, you will definitely not enjoy graduate school, it's basically a much much more intense version.

First, this isnt necessarily true. There were aspects of undergrad I didnt like. 5 hrs of german a semester, when you know you want to do psych, towards the end of your undergrad, is rather distracting. I had to finish out a ton of stupid electives, minor, etc and that really took away my focus from psych.

Second, OP- I've been in your shoes. How you word things is indicative of how you view things, which is why I chose to respond in the manner I did. I'll tell you this- I grew up way too late in my undergraduate (really only matured enough to handle college after my sophomore year, tbh) and I couldnt get my grades up. So, what I did was get better grades (so that my last 60 hrs was above a 3.5) plus research experience which I think you said you had.. I used that to get into an MA program with the explicit goal of getting into a phd program.

Edit: one more thing (and an apology for being so verbose). I'd caution you to not compare yourself to your classmates. Even if they're getting better grades than you on tests, using them as a marker isnt enough. Even at top schools, most of those people arent going to become successful grad students. Rise above. Do well in your courses, and challenge yourself to do everything you can (on paper and mentally) to become ready for grad school and *gasp* becoming a professional.

Is "as high as possible" a reasonable response?

That seems to be the answer I am given all the time.

3.5 for masters program worth salt, 3.75 for phd . Those are probably minimums if you want to not be in the "thanks for you application fee" pile imo.

3.5 for masters program worth salt, 3.75 for phd . Those are probably minimums if you want to not be in the "thanks for you application fee" pile imo.
Wow!! The standards are very high I guess. I guess my plan is that if I cannot boost my GPA up to at least 1 3.5 Ill apply to Masters programs. My college I'm at now has a Masters program in Clinical/Counseling Psychology. Would it be weird if I transition into that program after undergrad or should I just apply to other programs?

Wow!! The standards are very high I guess. I guess my plan is that if I cannot boost my GPA up to at least 1 3.5 Ill apply to Masters programs. My college I'm at now has a Masters program in Clinical/Counseling Psychology. Would it be weird if I transition into that program after undergrad or should I just apply to other programs?
Hey, maybe I'm wrong. It's definitely worth your time to look at the WAMC (what are my chances) thread. It's stickied up at the top for this exact reason. Lots of people talking about getting into lots of programs. Yes, it is very competitive. I wish there was a huge *** banner at the top of the psychology board that said "hey, its surprisingly competitive to get into clinical/counseling psych programs, and you are not a special flower", but alas, I'm not a mod. I told undergrads that I mentored for years while in grad school this exact thing. Being a psych major is relatively easy- getting into grad school is not.

Every year, people who have no business applying do so, and their applications get thrown out. Think of it this way- a typical phd program (I dont know about psyD programs, didnt attend one) takes something like 6-10 students. I've heard reputable PsyD programs are not much larger than this- ie 13-20 students). My program takes 6 every year. 6 students. 200 applications. ~18 get interviews. And they're already rank ordered when they come in, to be honest. What are the chances that you're one of the top 18, and that in that interview, you can become one of the top 6? If you have a gpa that starts with 2, I can tell you that your chances are very very small. But, if you can get into a masters program and kick ***, you get a few benefits. First, realizing that your GPA "starts over", and second realizing there's no "grow up wiggle room". Every B+ you make, every A- you make, potentially drops you out of one of those 18 slots.

As for getting into your university's masters program, there's positives and negatives. I considered the same thing. On one hand, my mentor was already there, and I had an "in". OTOH, there's less "growing experience". Going to a new university, in a new state, in a new climate, geography, culture, etc, showed me that I could transition and thrive. And I needed to know that to sell myself at the next level. At some places, there's also this negative I sense of not getting "fresh blood". They're looking to bring in outsiders to add energy to the program, not undergrads to keep the status quo. My personal opinion- and this is just my opinion- is that it's generally better to move on, establish yourself somewhere else, show you can do it, and move on from there. But that's just me. Do whats best for you.

BTW, my undergrad GPA started with a 2, but my last 60 hrs was 3.5, I had a publication, a few presentations, 2 years of lab experience, and an advanced stats course, too. I also kicked *** in all my research methods courses and had letters of rec to show it.

Thank you bmedclinic for offering your advice. This semester had a lot of ups and downs for me especially regarding whether or not I should go to grad school or do what my parents want me to do (which is go into a field directly out of college, but then again my parents haven't graduated from college and are severely biased in regards to that). And I ultimately decided to do what I thought was best. And if that means that I have to kick every other applicants *** with the combination of a good GPA in the future, 2 or more years of research experience and possibly a future poster than I will do it in a heartbeat and I'd even go back and do it again. Psychology chose me and now I am choosing psychology.

And if that means that I have to kick every other applicants *** with the combination of a good GPA in the future, 2 or more years of research experience and possibly a future poster than I will do it in a heartbeat and I'd even go back and do it again.

These are the behaviors that will make you a more competitive applicant, increasing your chance that you will get to do what you want without as much expense/debt. Do these things. You have time to get your GPA up, but not much leeway, so get moving!