What should I bring to a Dental School interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalgem524

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! Just wondering, what do applicants normally bring with them to their dental school interviews?

I have read that you should bring a new LOR that you could not include in your application, and/ or a portfolio that includes your CV with a photo of you so that interviewers can put a face to your name after you leave..but how often does this happen and how effective is it, really?

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't bring anything but a small notebook to write in unless they require a photo or something.

Reactions: 1 users
I brought a resume, personal statement, copy of Aadsas application. And a notepad/pen. I also bring some of my artwork in case they ask about my hobbies and I can show them something.

Members don't see this ad :)
I brought a resume, personal statement, copy of Aadsas application. And a notepad/pen. I also bring some of my artwork in case they ask about my hobbies and I can show them something.

Have they ever asked to see it? Have you ever given them any copies? Just curious. I've only brought a notebook and a smile. I'm definitely not that guy that brings in his tripod and mural.

Have they ever asked to see it? Have you ever given them any copies? Just curious. I've only brought a notebook and a smile. I'm definitely not that guy that brings in his tripod and mural.
Hahha I offered it at me Memphis interview but I think because the interviews are so short ...no joke, MAYBE 10 minutes, they didn't imply they wanted to see them so I kept going with my answer about "tell me about yourself" it wasn't awkward or anything. I just mentioned I liked to sketch and I've brought a few if you're interested in seeing them. I think some other schools that care more about "proof of dexterity" might be more receptive. I just don't get pushy or weird about it. I think it's something that could make an interview memorable if you have nice interviewers. I have a friend who did the same thing with his photography and he's in d school.

Reactions: 3 users
I bring nothing but a pen to my interviews.

I've seen people with $100+ leather portfolios/notebooks, and personally, I just didn't see the need to spend on that- every school I've interviewed at has given me a nice folder with LOTS of pages/information about their program, business cards with contact info, etc. Then, as they go over the handouts, I jot down my questions right there on the margins and bring it up in the interview following the information session.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Do not bring anything, there is no need

Reactions: 1 user
I bring nothing but a pen to my interviews.

I've seen people with $100+ leather portfolios/notebooks, and personally, I just didn't see the need to spend on that- every school I've interviewed at has given me a nice folder with LOTS of pages/information about their program, business cards with contact info, etc. Then, as they go over the handouts, I jot down my questions right there on the margins and bring it up in the interview following the information session.

Faux leather looks just as real and costs $5 on Amazon. Who is going to test out your expensive-looking notepad on an interview day? Lol. I hope one day I meet an applicant who does a juggling routine to show his or her dexterity. I'm sure such a person exists.

Faux leather looks just as real and costs $5 on Amazon. Who is going to test out your expensive-looking notepad on an interview day?

I'm wrong on the price then.

If it's affordable and someone really wants to bring an "expensive-looking notepad" to interview day, then that's their decision.

Most of the people I see with them don't even bother opening it up at all (it sits on the desk in front of them, untouched) so I just don't see the point of it.

I was one of the few who didn't bring a leather notepad/portfolio. Took notes on my little notepad I brought and on the papers they gave us. It's not necessary IMO, especially for MMI's.

I'm wrong on the price then.

If it's affordable and someone really wants to bring an "expensive-looking notepad" to interview day, then that's their decision.

Most of the people I see with them don't even bother opening it up at all (it sits on the desk in front of them, untouched) so I just don't see the point of it.

You are correct. It's useless, but one could wonder if presentation means anything. In a subjective setting, it is anyone's guess.

Thanks all for the input! I think I may just bring one to "look" extra presentable but can use the notepad inside to write notes if I come up with any questions to ask my interviewer at the end. I guess I can also is it to store papers and other documents they hand out.:)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks all for the input! I think I may just bring one to "look" extra presentable but can use the notepad inside to write notes if I come up with any questions to ask my interviewer at the end. I guess I can also is it to store papers and other documents they hand out.:)

My email from VCU encouraged bringing drawings or what not for showing manual dexterity so there's a good example there. I saw a lot of people at my interview with portfolios with notepads or something to write on. It's not like it's an ordeal to carry it around. I took notes on it about pros and cons because come decision day if you're lucky enough to have a decision to make, you won't have been able to remember every detail you learned about the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
My email from VCU encouraged bringing drawings or what not for showing manual dexterity so there's a good example there. I saw a lot of people at my interview with portfolios with notepads or something to write on. It's not like it's an ordeal to carry it around. I took notes on it about pros and cons because come decision day if you're lucky enough to have a decision to make, you won't have been able to remember every detail you learned about the school.

Thank you for this!

I brought a padfolio with me to my interviews haha. I did it so I could write down notes throughout the day and especially during my interview. I wrote down each question so that I could make sure I actually answered the question, because I sometimes tend to ramble and forget the original question haha. It also had a space for me to put my resume and any notes I wanted to take with me, just in case. I don't think I ever actually took it out but it's good to be overprepared rather than under. I also brought some artwork stuff that I was able to show, but like some other people pointed out you might not have time to show them during the interview. If anything, you can always take a picture of whatever you want on your phone and show from there.

I heard that some guy in my class brought a violin when he interviewed at a school... I don't even...

• Haha
I brought a padfolio with me to my interviews haha. I did it so I could write down notes throughout the day and especially during my interview. I wrote down each question so that I could make sure I actually answered the question, because I sometimes tend to ramble and forget the original question haha. It also had a space for me to put my resume and any notes I wanted to take with me, just in case. I don't think I ever actually took it out but it's good to be overprepared rather than under. I also brought some artwork stuff that I was able to show, but like some other people pointed out you might not have time to show them during the interview. If anything, you can always take a picture of whatever you want on your phone and show from there.

Great idea! I definitely bought a cheap padfolio to take to my interview. Did you have enough time to write down the questions during your interview? My first interview is at Indiana University and the two interviews are only 15 min each. I have the same rambling tendency and I don't want to take too long to write down the question on top of it.

Great idea! I definitely bought a cheap padfolio to take to my interview. Did you have enough time to write down the questions during your interview? My first interview is at Indiana University and the two interviews are only 15 min each. I have the same rambling tendency and I don't want to take too long to write down the question on top of it.

I'm lucky I write fast but I also just shorten the questions so like if they ask "Tell me about yourself" I just write "about me". Whatever the main point is haha.

I think a portolio would be fine, even a small handbag (not brightly colored, plain, matches your attire, not overly fashionable) I've heard you get a lot of information - I would think fumbling with it would be more embarrassing that having a place to put it all, just ensure whatever you bring is easy to stow away and is not distracting to you or others around you. Having gone on professional interviews for a job as a dental hygienists I feel the more put together you are the better you will feel so it is entirely your choice, just dress to feel confident in yourself portfolio or not! I personally love my portfolio, but being a hygienist I had the extra $ to invest in "interview essentials." BEST OF LUCK!

I brought a purse. I like to be prepared. It had bandaids in case my heels turned on me :rofl: and stuff to touch up my make up
I liked having a portfolio because I took wayyy more notes - i figured I'd want to look over them on Dec. 1 if I get multiple acceptances (Hoping!)

What do you mean you wrote down each question during the interview? Is this during a group session or something similar? Wouldn't it be awkward to hurriedly write the question being asked on paper immediately after the question was asked by the interviewer if it's a one-on-one? I'm just picturing an interviewer staring at an interviewee impatiently waiting for an answer while they draft a paragraph for 5 minutes :p I haven't been to my first interview yet, so I'm not sure how this works.

What do you mean you wrote down each question during the interview? Is this during a group session or something similar? Wouldn't it be awkward to hurriedly write the question being asked on paper immediately after the question was asked by the interviewer if it's a one-on-one? I'm just picturing an interviewer staring at an interviewee impatiently waiting for an answer while they draft a paragraph for 5 minutes :p I haven't been to my first interview yet, so I'm not sure how this works.

Not really, at least not for me lol. Like I said, I write fast and they were more like bulletpoints. And I write them as they say them. I'm not writing my answers, I'm writing the questions.

I wouldn't advise writing the questions down. why is that even necessary? You should be able to have a conversation with somebody and answer questions without needing to write down what was asked. Also wanted to inform that I offered my drawings at an interview recently and they wanted to see them before I left. I offered them when asked to tell them about my self and when the interview was over they asked for my drawings. Said they wanted to see them since I brought them with me. They asked questions about them and I think it keeps you in the back of their heads, especially if they have a passport photo to look at.

I did a summer program at UNLV and they pretty much gave us a powerpoint on great portfolios to build to bring for an interview. They even took photos of us or our projects. I think it certain cases some schools with certain cultures like to see the applicants have the dexterity, but also truthful. They told us how one interviewee said he liked to draw and the interviewer made him draw a lion and was unable to. I guess... I agree... and disagree with this style of interview. Since I like to draw,but I'm almost sure without a reference a quick sketch of a lion I'd draw some cat like thing with a lampshade around it.
It'd be nice to know which schools are notorious for requiring "proof of dexterity", however, I just think if you can ideally have a better control of discussing a key hobby or skill if it was actually available at the time of the interview. I personally think showing them a picture on a phone is unprofessional.

I wouldn't advise writing the questions down. why is that even necessary? You should be able to have a conversation with somebody and answer questions without needing to write down what was asked.

Haha well yeah I mean if you know you're not fast at writing / can't write a quick note without remembering what it was / or if you're already good at answering verbal questions without actually forgetting the question, don't take my suggestion haha. It literally takes me like 1-2 seconds just to write down maybe 1-3 words just so I don't forget. I just know some people will try to set up a scenario to answer a question, but completely forget the original question or the point they were trying to make.

Haha well yeah I mean if you know you're not fast at writing / can't write a quick note without remembering what it was / or if you're already good at answering verbal questions without actually forgetting the question, don't take my suggestion haha. It literally takes me like 1-2 seconds just to write down maybe 1-3 words just so I don't forget. I just know some people will try to set up a scenario to answer a question, but completely forget the original question or the point they were trying to make.
Yeah I see your point. If you get nervous and forget a question. Probably not a bad idea in that case!