WHAT SHOULD I DO, ANXIETY KICKING IN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SoToPo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My first semester of Uni I got a 3.8 GPA, then my second semester I got a 3.8 (rounded up from a high 3.7) GPA.

Then I got 3 jobs, but one of them I only worked during the summer and stopped going once school started (so 2 jobs during school).

I killed my GPA first semester of my second year. I took 4 classes +1 lab. It seemed like I was always scheduled to work right before exams and every weekend. I got a C- in biology 1, but not because I'm not capable of getting a higher grade. I don't know what happened, I screwed up big but that C killed my GPA.
That semester I got a 2.8 GPA. I got B's in my other 3 classes and an A in the biology lab.

I kept my jobs during last semester so I wouldn't feel like a complete failure. I wanted to stick with it until the end, but once that semester ended, I quit one of my jobs but kept the weekend job.

I GUESS THE QUESTION IS: WHAT DO I DO TO BETTER MY CHANCES IN GETTING INTO DENTAL SCHOOL?

Should I also quit my weekend job and focus on extensive community service? I'm not able to participate in many organization outings since they always tend to happen on a saturday. I really love this part time job, but my true passion is for dental school.

Members don't see this ad.

You seem to know your answer already. You can fix your grades by making time for school. You can fix your EC's by making time for it as well.
If dentistry is really your passion, one part-time job should not take priority over it unless you love it that much.

Are you taking on all those jobs because of financial issues? If that's the case, it's difficult to juggle but I would find a job that lets you stay focused on school... Like work-study jobs (library, tech support @ computer lab, etc)

You seem to know your answer already. You can fix your grades by making time for school. You can fix your EC's by making time for it as well.
If dentistry is really your passion, one part-time job should not take priority over it unless you love it that much.

Are you taking on all those jobs because of financial issues? If that's the case, it's difficult to juggle but I would find a job that lets you stay focused on school... Like work-study jobs (library, tech support @ computer lab, etc)

I try to volunteer places during the week but it's hard to do so when I usually need to study during the week. The job I currently work at does let me focus on school now, but that's not my main concern. My concern is that it's cutting my community hours because I work 8 am- 4:30 pm saturday and sunday. It's a rehabilitation home for mentally challenged individuals. I've gained a relationship with these 4 girls that I'd hate to quit if I didn't need to just yet.

EDIT: I've had my first 2 years payed off by scholarships and grants, but after I dropped the ball I'm not sure if I'll need to work or not.

this one bad semester isn't going to kill ya, but if it continues or declines even further, then you will bascially lower your chance every semester. Not impossible, it will just make it harder for you to score interviews and also get handpicked for admission.

My first semester was rough with 1F, 2W, and 2A's. Then a few semesters down the road, I took upper level chem classes just to be with friends and ended up withdrawing them both. Stupid mistake, but I tried to do better in subsequent semester to make up for those mistakes.

What you need to do is manage your time so that you can get reasonably good grades while earning money that you need for spending. Not everyone can do 40 hrs per week and still get 3.8-4.0. I am sure there are people who can do it, but that's not me.