What should I do during my Gap Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihatecoldplay10101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! Looking for some insight. I've taken the MCAT, did horribly, and am taking a Gap Year. I'm currently a college senior, and I just need to take some time to really study for this exam. Thankfully, my GPA is not bad (3.7+), and I've got some clinical experience (shadowing + 400ish hours volunteering at the hospital, am also studying to become an EMT, just got accepted for EMT school last weekend).

I have two options

1) Do an NSF and get a Master's in Forestry at Yale
2) Becoming a Middle School Science Teacher (My undergrad major was Biology with a conc in Educ, and I have Licensure) while simultaneously going to school to get my M.Ed.

Both of these would give me time to study for my MCAT, and allow me to save for Medical School. But which one sounds like a better option? I don't see how either or them would look "better" to adcoms, so maybe some of you can advise me.

Members don't see this ad.

Do #1. Especially if its only for a year.

Otherwise be prepared to explain why you don't want to be a teacher (Or why being a doctor is better than being a teacher) without making it seem like you wasted a year but without making it seem like you are super committed to teaching and applying to medical school is just something you are doing for the heck of it

I'd personally rather go with the teaching gig, since you'd be getting paid while you're out of school. But why not just teach instead of being a teacher + pursuing that M.Ed? You ultimately want to become a physician, right? I think pursuing a masters would be a bit of a waste of money with an already nice gpa like yours

Members don't see this ad :)
Do #1. Especially if its only for a year.

Otherwise be prepared to explain why you don't want to be a teacher (Or why being a doctor is better than being a teacher) without making it seem like you wasted a year but without making it seem like you are super committed to teaching and applying to medical school is just something you are doing for the heck of it

Do you think it would affect me that badly? Honestly, Education is a huge part of who I am. I've been TA'ing for a while, I tutor for my University, and I want to become an NHSC Scholar and work with rural medical education when I become a physician. This is included in my essay, and I plan to talk about it at interviews.

However, I wonder if a Master's degree from an Ivy would look nice. I enjoy biodiversity, and Forestry is something that has always interested me, so I know I would be happy doing either.

Also, the M.Ed is a funded program and I would not be paying for it.

Do you think it would affect me that badly? Honestly, Education is a huge part of who I am. I've been TA'ing for a while, I tutor for my University, and I want to become an NHSC Scholar and work with rural medical education when I become a physician. This is included in my essay, and I plan to talk about it at interviews.

It wouldn't because you have a reason. If you say that you had teaching experience so you felt like working as a teacher would allow you to use those talents to build a nest egg for a year so that you can support yourself in medical school.

As long as you don't say something like "Ive always wanted to be a teacher but I had good science grades so I figured Id give medical school a chance."

Given the two options, I would choose #1.

I am currently doing research during my gap year, and although it is a good experience, I am ready to be done. I have quickly learned bench research isn't my thing. I think it would have been nice to continue to learn and take classes (option #1 gives you this opportunity) Whatever you choose, make sure it is something you will enjoy, or you will have a long year off like myself.

Just my two cents

Do what you want. People on the internet shouldn't be telling you how to spend your gap year. Just enjoy it to the best of your ability.

Reactions: 1 user