What should I do during my gap year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wsid

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I live in upstate ny, my cGPA is 3.4 and sGPA is 3.2, and my mcat is 25. These are based off the end of my sophomore year. My fall semester of my junior year is about to end so my all my GPA's should go up significantly and I'm retaking the mcat. But since I am applying at the end of this year to medical school I'm considering taking a Gap year if my GPA and mcat doesn't get higher.

Which masters program or what type of masters program should I possibly pursue. Also if I chose to do research which company/ university do u guys think will give me best opportunity to publish. I prefer to stay in the northeast. Any and all opportunities available to me would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I would be careful about those special master programs, sometimes people ended up with a worse application after the SMP. If you were to pick a SMP, pick a program that give you a good linkage into their medical school.

Some of my friends did research with members of medical school faculty, and was able to get into affiliated medical school.

if you can bring your GPA and MCAT up to 3.65 and 30-31, you should have a good chance at a allopathic medical school. Assuming you have good clinical shadowing/volunteering/committee letters.