What should I do if...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foot2foot

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What should I do if I receive an A in my general chemistry II lecture but a D in the Lab?

Members don't see this ad.

Retake the lab...

If I retake it will it look bad to the admission committees?

Members don't see this ad :)
It'll look better than a D. Some schools won't accept D's in your pre reqs so you have to retake it basically.

Just gonna throw this out there bc of your picture (jerryworld)
If you go to A&M you won't make a D in the lab. They curve the **** out of that stupid lab after the final. I thought I was going to make a C and ended up with an A in chem I & II labs

My professor is truly a hard grader. When it comes to sig figs he doesn't play. No one at my school curves..it sucks

Where are you now?

Yeah that's really stupid for a lab. I had a few labs like that. Especially micro.

I graduated in December. I'm working as an EMT back home, shadowing and studying for the MCAT.
I'm applying in August for 2015 matriculation.

I knew I should have went to A&M..I love that place.

Podiatry right?
If so have you heard about the Navy programs available for medical doctors as well as podiatry?

Yeah A&M is awesome. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Yes podiatry. Really hoping for Scholl. That's where my uncle went.

I haven't but there is a sticky thread at the top of the pre pod forum that has a link about podiatry in the military.

I'm thinking about doing it..they have a program that will pay for school and give you a stipend during school before residency.

Yeah I would do that if I was single. My fiancé would not be happy if I joined the military. She couldn't handle me getting deployed.

Good luck with chem lab. If you ever have questions about classes you can PM me. Hopefully we both end up at scholl

Members don't see this ad :)
Why not take the course at another college with the lab to demonstrate you corrected your deficiency.

I don't think they will if you can explain your situation with the professor. I don't mean blame it on your prof and say he's a hard grader. They may look down on that. But there may be other circumstances that led to you doing poorly in the lab.

If you're making an A in lecture but a C in lab something went wrong. That's why I'd recommend just retaking the lab by itself if possible. IMO there's no reason to spend the extra money to retake the lecture as well. At my university the lecture and lab were separate classes (for chemistry classes) so you could do this. I don't know how it is at other schools though.

Just remember that pod schools will average your grades from the two classes and not replace the C with whatever you make in the retake. So make sure you get an A no matter what you decide. Retaking the lecture or lab and making a B would look bad.

Sidebar: The podiatry Navy HPSP program got cut last year, so that is no longer an option for current students.

I navy officer just came to my school and talked about it, so it should still be there.

The OP received an A in lecture with a D in lab, not a C. Thus as AzAg stated "all" POD schools average a course. Thus I would take or retake the complete course (lecture + lab) at another local college or university, even a 4 year community college. Rock it with A's and than you should be good to go...

Reactions: 1 user
I navy officer just came to my school and talked about it, so it should still be there.

Yes, HSCP is still an option, but the podiatry HPSP is not. If you have the recruiters info, I'd call him and and ask him to verify the HPSP information. I typically call my navy medical corps recruiter every 6 months to check on the status. Every time I call she says it's still unfunded. Double check with your recruiter, and if he/she says it's still a program, PM me their info.

Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, HSCP is still an option, but the podiatry HPSP is not. If you have the recruiters info, I'd call him and and ask him to verify the HPSP information. I typically call my navy medical corps recruiter every 6 months to check on the status. Every time I call she says it's still unfunded. Double check with your recruiter, and if he/she says it's still a program, PM me their info.

Thanks
Will do