What should I do in life? Anesthesiology, Radiation Therapy, or ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I already know that some people might think that I don't need to worry about it yet, but right now I'm 14 years old and an 8th grader in the Portland, Oregon metro area. I have a cumulative GPA of about 3.92 (only remember having one B in 6th grade), and I have always enjoyed my math and science classes. In elementary school, I always excelled, so much so, that I was given the option to skip second grade before we moved and I've been in the NOVA and TAG programs since I was in kindergarten. When I got to middle school, I totally skipped Math I and II, moving straight into Pre-Algebra. I currently have to go to the high school for Geometry class because Algebra is the highest offered at the middle school. Science has always been easy for me and -for the most part- I've rather enjoyed it, too. On the state science assessment (I was sick for the first day), I went in and finished the 50 problem computer test in just over 20 minutes and scored 17 points over the "exceeds" benchmark. I ended up having the 3rd highest score in the school and am debating whether to retake it just to challenge myself.

Now to the real objective of this post. For the last few months I've been thinking about what I want to do for my job when I go to college and beyond. Most of what I think of is in the medical field. Here are the options I've thought about:

One of my thoughts has been on anesthesiology, partially because of my younger sister. She was diagnosed with neurofibromatosis on her optic nerve when she was 20 months and started chemo at 2 years old. I was 5 the first time that I went with her to Doernbecher Children's Hospital. My mom says, and I can vaguely remember, that I always used to try to watch what the doctors were doing when they "knocked her out" for her MRIs.

A second thought, one that I've always thought would be a nice job would be radiation therapy, radiologist technician, x-ray technician or radiologist. I know that there is a vast fluctuation between the schooling of those aspects of the field but think it would be an interesting occupation. My interest was really sparked several years ago when I got a concussion and had a CAT scan done to check for bleeding and thought it was cool how they could tell from the machine (keep in mind that I was about 8).

I know that both can be rather rewarding career paths, both in regards to salary and from helping people in need. One major downfall that I see is the amount of money and time spent in college, premed, med school, etc., but I think (at least right now) that that can be made up for later in my career. So the real question is, do you believe that it is worth the time and money spent dedicating myself to an area; and if so which one?

My options are obviously not limited to these selections, not medical even, since I haven't even started high school yet. So any suggestions would be appreciated! Any advice and/or stories are welcome, as well. Thanks:)

Members don't see this ad.

So any suggestions would be appreciated! Any advice and/or stories are welcome, as well. Thanks:)

Honestly, do well in high school. Go to a good college. Get good grades in college. Explore what interests you and don't be dead set on career at this point. You have lots of time. I went to college planning on being a chemist...I ended up taking an EMT course to make extra cash while I finished my degree. I decided I hated chemistry and liked medicine. Now I'm an ER doc who sub specializes in poisoning and drug overdose. In retrospect, it is pretty obvious, but I wouldn't have guessed that would be the outcome when I was in high school.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply and advice. I read a few other threads and the general consensus seems to be do something for a year or two and figure out if I like it or not, like you did.

Members don't see this ad :)
You sound like a tech in the making

Stay out of medicine, kid. It sucks now and it will suck even more when you'd be done.

This kid reminds me of one of the kiddos I put to sleep on peds. This kid was 9 years old already knew he wanted to be a surgeon. Knew what ivy league school he was going to. Tiger mom present for induction. Woke up in full on emergence delerium which lasted 30-45 min in pacu. Be a kid make some stupid mistakes. Go outside and run around let some energy out. You have the whole rest of your life to worry about medicine.

Medicine is changing but that is the truth for the vast majority of jobs. For most jobs, trrying to build a 20-30 year career is impossible and you will likely never break 90k. Job security will be pretty weak. I'm not a physician but sometimes I feel like many physicians forget that.

Trying to make it in general fields, where the education bar is lower but the advancement requirements are much more subjective, is very difficult. Hence, most I know in IT, engineering, business, make less than 50k and have been at it for many years.

Stay out of medicine, kid. It sucks now and it will suck even more when you'd be done.

I agree with the last poster. Get out and have alot of fun. The best thing I ever did was join the military when I was young. I made alot of friends, experienced a completely different culture, girls, and got to fight in war - destroy an enemy and take care of my buds. It may sound odd but fighting was one of the most horrifying, exciting, and freeing experiences I have ever had. Overall, it was a good experience that I think most young guys would enjoy!

EDIT: OP - just thought I needed to temper my last response for your benfit. It can be great but there is a chance that you or someone you have became friends with can become injured or die. Although I liked my experience I was lucky in that I got the right job with great people (AF pararescue). I know some who were in different jobs that hated their time. GL. Take time to have fun in life!

Last edited:
Medicine is changing but that is the truth for the vast majority of jobs. For most jobs, trrying to build a 20-30 year career is impossible and you will likely never break 90k. Job security will be pretty weak. I'm not a physician but sometimes I feel like many physicians forget that.

Trying to make it in general fields, where the education bar is lower but the advancement requirements are much more subjective, is very difficult. Hence, most I know in IT, engineering, business, make less than 50k and have been at it for many years.

+100

I still fail to understand why so many physicians feel the grass is greener on the other side. Yes, job security and income might be taking hits in medicine - but rest assured that they're taking far bigger hits everywhere else.

I'd rather be an FM doc than yet another highly overworked, underpaid, miserable cubicle slave making <$50k with zero options for advancement.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
This is the truth for most. I think it is over looked because most physicians went straight from UG -> Medical School -> residency -> 6 figures. Had they not gone to med school most wouldn't be breaking the national average today ~40k/yr.

Though, physicians earn every penny they make IMO.

+100

I'd rather be an FM doc than yet another highly overworked, underpaid, miserable cubicle slave making <$50k with [little] options for advancement.

Last edited:
The OP? It seems as though he was asking an honest question.

ahhh.... the young innocent ignorant bliss... I was there once... that too shall pass

I agree with the last poster. Get out and have alot of fun. The best thing I ever did was join the military when I was young. I made alot of friends, experienced a completely different culture, girls, and got to fight in war - destroy an enemy and take care of my buds. It may sound odd but fighting was one of the most horrifying, exciting, and freeing experiences I have ever had. Overall, it was a good experience that I think most young guys would enjoy!

EDIT: OP - just thought I needed to temper my last response for your benfit. It can be great but there is a chance that you or someone you have became friends with can become injured or die. Although I liked my experience I was lucky in that I got the right job with great people (AF pararescue). I know some who were in different jobs that hated their time. GL. Take time to have fun in life!

Whatever career path you choose the opportunity for success is there. Most ortho reps make over $150k. A few pacemaker/AICD reps make in excess of $250K. You can own a Fast food restaurant and clear $400K. Sell BMWs or better yet become the sales manager or own the dealership.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you $40K is the norm. It isn't. This is a rich country where the opportunity to get wealthy exists and will always exist.

Even a CRNA in the Army clears $90K per year and gets great benefits.

according to the BLS the average is ~45k/yr.

45k is the norm. Yes, we are a rich country.

For all the professions you've sited that make good money; I must admit that I do not know anyone in these professions but I also dont know anyone who earns over 100k. I have a large extended family and lots of friends. It seems that there are great opportunties but the mode is no where near the income level that those examples command. There is nothing wrong with that - what we're talking about is not mutally exclusive. OP shoot for the stars.

Whatever career path you choose the opportunity for success is there. Most ortho reps make over $150k. A few pacemaker/AICD reps make in excess of $250K. You can own a Fast food restaurant and clear $400K. Sell BMWs or better yet become the sales manager or own the dealership.

Don't listen to anyone who tells you $40K is the norm. It isn't. This is a rich country where the opportunity to get wealthy exists and will always exist.

Even a CRNA in the Army clears $90K per year and gets great benefits.

For all the professions you've sited that make good money; I must admit that I do not know anyone in these professions but I also dont know anyone who earns over 100k. I have a large extended family and lots of friends. It seems that there are great opportunties but the mode is no where near the income level that those examples command. There is nothing wrong with that - what we're talking about is not mutally exclusive. OP shoot for the stars.

People lie like @#$## on their taxes. I bet the real norm is over $80K per year and skewed heavily upwards. 1099 Business owners deduct their new trucks, food, expenses , etc. The tax code is geared to report $40K but live like $100K. That's what I see all the time.

I've seen Mega rich report $200K but live like the rich and famous. So much money goes unreported in this country every year and so much more is simply deducted via personal business.

Median-Debt-B.jpg

CRNA Salaries

An average nurse anesthetist salary in Maryland
Maryland CRNA salaries are about the same as the national average and range from $140k-160k.

An average annual nurse anesthetist salary in the US is $163,467 (according to a 2008 study)
  • Rural average: $174,214
  • Metropolitan average: $164,148
  • Suburban average: $156,630
  • Average starting CRNA salaries range from: $110,000-$130,000.

So, you don't know any CRNAs or NPs? How about PAs?

salary-of-physician-assistant.jpg

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that graph is legitimate.

The main thing it proves is that "average" is the wrong statistic.

Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg (?) both dropped out of college. If you're calculating the average salary of college dropouts, you'll get a ridiculously inflated number due to the small number of outliers with huge incomes.

The correct statistic is the median.

Median wage for men in 2007 was around $45k (men who worked full time all year), for women $35k (same), and for households $50k.

I'm sure there are more recent stats out there but I'm lazy.

Is it possible the average salary for high school graduates is almost $70k? Sure, although I still doubt it.

The median is much lower. We have a very skewed income distribution, so this is exactly what you would expect.

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume that graph is legitimate.

The main thing it proves is that "average" is the wrong statistic.

Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg (?) both dropped out of college. If you're calculating the average salary of college dropouts, you'll get a ridiculously inflated number due to the small number of outliers with huge incomes.

The correct statistic is the median.

Median wage for men in 2007 was around $45k (men who worked full time all year), for women $35k (same), and for households $50k.

I'm sure there are more recent stats out there but I'm lazy.

Is it possible the average salary for high school graduates is almost $70k? Sure, although I still doubt it.

The median is much lower. We have a very skewed income distribution, so this is exactly what you would expect.

Be careful about relying in IRS data for "median" income. Undereporting of Income is common and IMHO, the real median income in the U.S. is close to $80,000.

Be careful about relying in IRS data for "median" income. Undereporting of Income is common and IMHO, the real median income in the U.S. is close to $80,000.

Most people earn salaries and don't get a chance to "underreport" their income - their employers report it for them.

That's only really an issue in higher income brackets.

EDIT: In other words, what you're talking about would just change the average, not the median.

Most people earn salaries and don't get a chance to "underreport" their income - their employers report it for them.

That's only really an issue in higher income brackets.

EDIT: In other words, what you're talking about would just change the average, not the median.

Slim,

My Gardener, Painter, Housekeeper, Barber, CPA, Mechanic, Plumber, Electrician, etc. are all 1099 Independent Contractors. I know for a fact all of them under-report their income to the IRS. Hence, the median wage is skewed lower as reported by the IRS.

Yes, many are W-2 wage owners but many are 1099 small business owners as well.

You need to get out more and meet more people. Take a look:

lincoln.gif
A lot of Americans drive these cars not to mention some very nice Ford, Chevy and Dodge trucks.;)

Seems like the upper 1/2 of the USA is making a heck of a lot more than "median" income as reported by the IRS.

Since the IRS gathers data on all these fine Citizens what do they do exactly to earn this money? I couldn't find a single profession listed other than Physician where the individual earns over $180K per year; yet, Audi reports their "average" buyer earns that income. Hmm.... Something isn't adding up here. Perhaps, true wealth in America is NOT reported to the IRS by many small business owners?

That's why the Median income number is BOGUS. It doesn't reflect real monies earned by many U.S. Citizens.

That's why if you earn MEDIAN INCOME in the U.S. you are far from being "average" in America. (no lectures from the children on Median, Mode and Mean....http://www.purplemath.com/modules/meanmode.htm)

Last edited:
Slim,

My Gardener, Painter, Housekeeper, Barber, CPA, Mechanic, Plumber, Electrician, etc. are all 1099 Independent Contractors. I know for a fact all of them under-report their income to the IRS. Hence, the median wage is skewed lower as reported by the IRS.

Yes, many are W-2 wage owners but many are 1099 small business owners as well.

Gassy,

According to the census bureau, <7% of the work force is self-employed.

Studies of under reporting of income show that this is around 30% for self employed individuals when using tax data - it is probably less for census data.

Even if every single person under reported by 30%, that would only raise the median salary of a fully employed male to $58,500.

Gassy,

According to the census bureau,

An S-corp is not self employed. Yet, an S-Corp may consist of just 1 or 2 owners essentially meaning the "owner" can do as he/she pleases. This person would get a W-2 plus Dividends from the company. How the money is distributed and where is in the control of the owner(s).

Many people work for "cash" on the side. These W-2 workers have a job and also engage in other cash work which goes un reported to the IRS. Again, this would skew the data the IRS gathers to the low side.

That said, there are many poor and/or lazy people who choose not to work hard. This would also skew the data to the low side.

With effort and dedication achieving a salary of $80K in the USA is not only attainable it is completely realistic. But, you may actually have to work for it.

I'm answering the OPs original question with the last graph.

Yeah, my apologies - I should have chosen a different one to reply to...

You have to admit, you are prone to this though.

To be honest, it detracts from your arguments. Not that I'd be likely to agree with them anyway, but you might as well put them in the best light.

With effort and dedication achieving a salary of $80K in the USA is not only attainable it is completely realistic. But, you may actually have to work for it.

With a few exceptions, I'd absolutely agree with this. You need to have access to capital for a decent shot though, either educational or financial.

Of course, it's mathematically impossible for everyone to earn above the median wage. We can always work to increase the median, but that causes inflation (and I know you're not a fan of that).

:smuggrin:

Yeah, my apologies - I should have chosen a different one to reply to...

You have to admit, you are prone to this though.

To be honest, it detracts from your arguments. Not that I'd be likely to agree with them anyway, but you might as well put them in the best light.

The OP asked questions about several professions. The graphs posted should at least provide salary data for her/him.

I don't care whether you agree with me. My Gardener has a brand new Ford Truck and lives in a nice home. Care to guess what he reports to the IRS?

Liberals choose to believe we live in nation of poor people. No. The exact opposite is true. Success and opportunity exist for all of us in this country. Education, effort and commitment are the building blocks to becoming a one percenter. Taxation and redistribution of wealth won't move the needle on the IRS income scale.

The OP asked questions about several professions. The graphs posted should at least provide salary data for her/him.

I don't care whether you agree with me. My Gardener has a brand new Ford Truck and lives in a nice home. Care to guess what he reports to the IRS?

Liberals choose to believe we live in nation of poor people. No. The exact opposite is true. Success and opportunity exist for all of us in this country. Education, effort and commitment are the building blocks to becoming a one percenter. Taxation and redistribution of wealth won't move the needle on the IRS income scale.

Do you really not believe in poor people?

Don't you blame them for the financial crisis?

It also sounds like you're ripe for an audit. :smuggrin:

Do you really not believe in poor people?

Don't you blame them for the financial crisis?

It also sounds like you're ripe for an audit. :smuggrin:

People are poor for different reasons. The Lazy poor I blame. The financial crisis was 40% WallStreet, 40% Federal govt and 20% MainStreet.

I pay all my taxes Slim. That's why I won't vote for anyone looking to jack me up to 44%.
Those who don't pay their fair share will vote Obama.