[Deleted post]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carrot395

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
[Deleted post]

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your mother is hard core. I like it.

Reactions: 1 user
Please take time off. Seriously explain to mom how serious medschool is and if you're going to be successful starting on day 1, you're going to need the time off now for your own sanity. Once medschool starts, that's it. Your life is no longer yours; there are no more breaks.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can't you just go to the beach and pretend that you're working? :shrug: I would think that getting into med school would offset the disappointment from not holding a summer job.

Regardless of your decision, find a way to get more free time -- you won't regret it once school starts!

Reactions: 1 user
do literally nothing this summer because it's the last time you'll be able to do that for real

Reactions: 1 users
hah...that seems kinda mean...my bad...look, med school will be stressful enough. You are going to be a doctor! If that will not make your mother proud believe me nothing in this world will.

Do what YOU want, enjoy life for the next 3 months. If your mom is worried about the family's image, that's her problem, not yours. And on a more practical note, you come into medical school stressed out like that it'll only get worse.

partially, mostly federal loans and grant at this point. it's not the money issue. she is worried about what to tell her friends about my summer plan. their kids make more money right now lol
LOL
Not for long.. well 4+4 at minimum.. but still.. lol

partially, mostly federal loans and grant at this point. it's not the money issue. she is worried about what to tell her friends about my summer plan. their kids make more money right now lol

LOL, you won't be making ANY money for the next 4 years (while they're still making money) and you won't be a making any real money until another 3+ years after that (while they're still making money)...and what you can stand to make this summer will only be a very faint drop in the bucket compared to your attending salary. Quite frankly, it's not worth the grief.

Edit: @Dr.Sticks I like the way you think haha

no she is against me going to med school. lol. k thanks for feedback

Ah, this is interesting. If you're willing to go against your mother's wishes and go to medical school, why does your mother hold this much sway for you in terms of a temporary job? This is your life, and if your job is making life not worth living, what's the point? Especially since you've chosen a career in which, for the next four years, you will be busy.

Tell your mother to start bragging about how her kid is going to be a doctor; she might find that gains her the respect of her parental peers.

Reactions: 4 users
ouch. Mama drama. I definitely had my share. 6 months before I received my acceptance I had a screaming contest with my mom, something along the lines of how I'll never amount to anything with my pursuit of medicine and disowning me and all that jazz. I got in, she got over it.

I just want to emphasize to do what makes you fulfilled for the next few months. You are embarking on a long and stressful journey, don't make it harder this summer. I spent my summer before med school learning how to ride a motorcycle and playing video games. It was great.

Unfortunately, I do not know of any great paying and low stress jobs for the summer. Those concepts kind of clash with each other. Maybe a lifeguard on the beach? Not high paying but maybe you can spin it somehow...

Do NOT go back to work. This is your last real summer, and you should enjoy it. You need to be rested and ready to go on Day 1 in medical school; it is a long marathon and you're not going to do well if you go into it already burned out. Your mom also needs to relax too because my goodness does she sound crazy.