What should I do? Military/Korea

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gwisin

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in a strange situation with my life. I join the military a year ago for a language-oriented MOS, military occupation specialty, and was reclass due to predicaments out of my control (I should had pick a medical MOS right from the start, but I wanted to learn a new language). Now, my new MOS has nothing to do with my life ambitions or career goals, and it looks like I will have to do this MOS for the next 3 years. Through all of this, I have a tunnel vision that I need to be in the medical field, and I am going to do whatever I can do to make that happen (ideally medical school), and I don't want the next 3 years to be a total waste. For the past year, I had no free time to pursue anything else but becoming MOS qualified. I also have no academic credits.

I am going to Korea for 1 year; I could volunteer at a local hospital whenever I have free time; ideally I would do this at the base. This would expose me to Korean culture as well, since I only have this one chance to be in Korea. I don't want to miss the opportunity of being in Korea. I am not sure right now would be a good time to go back to college, just because I am in Korea, and my options are limited.

What is your advice in my situation? I just want to make continue progress toward my goals of being a doctor, and I don't want to waste any time.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have a bachelors?

If not take some classes though the base's education center, online if necessary (just not pre-reqs).

University of Maryland also has programs for deployed/overseas military.

You can also get some shadowing and volunteering out of the way.

Military vet here...

One, UMUC is on military bases and they offer classes in person and online as well as delightful scholarship options to go along with your TA from the military. DO NOT use your GI Bill while you are active duty as TA will pay 100% of your tuition so save the GI bill for down the road when you are no longer active duty.

You could always try to reclass again, but that will require an extension. I was in signal corp, 2 different MOS's because my first one was phased out. Signal has nothing to do with medicine lol, I was a snazzy computer nerd with a security clearance....yea that sounds like doctor. lol. Maybe while in Korea look into volunteering for some humanitarian tidbits....just be careful, not everyone their loves you and if you are near the border then be extra mindful of that.

Side note....if the army approves TA for you, your unit is OBLIGATED...listen to that...OBLIGATED...to let you leave for class. So if your class is scheduled for 1800 and you still have not had end of day formation at 1745, according to policy they cannot deny you leaving for your class. If they are out in the field and your TA was already approved, they have to have a driver take you back to class then bring you back out to the field. Essentially this is because the Army is cheap lol. If they agreed to pay for your class, then they are going to make damn sure you finish that class and don't waste their money. If you fail you have to pay the army back so keep that in mind as well.

Also, college classes help you get promoted within the military. They count towards promotion points so it is a win win! Hooah!

Reactions: 1 user
I second Luna's advice to use TA to the fullest and saving the GI Bill. You really don't get as much out of it while you're active duty, and medical school is a lot more expensive than undergrad.

I feel your pain on shooting for DLI and getting shunted into another field. I became a 35F which allowed me plenty of computer time and a fairly flexible schedule both in garrison and on deployments. I think in Korea, if the base is involved with medical support to local poorer communities, see if you can tag along. I know the Combat Lifesaver course gave me needle stick exposure, but doctors or staff at your local CSH might allow you to get more involved on a personal level there as well. I'd say just start asking in the admin area there, and keep asking. I think my most rewarding experience on this journey was volunteering in the hospital downrange, and I think it would give you unique things to speak about at interviews.