What should I do next? Apply? Work? Post-Bac/SMP?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

maskedmamba8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a little uncertain about what I should do next

I'm a senior at ivy university

I started off pre-med did not work all that well, my gpa sucked, below a 3, only had 1 semester with above a 3.0 gpa

Majoring in Economics/Finance-like minor along with Pre-Med

I pulled a 2.6 second semester jr year

Spent the summer really refocusing myself

Decided I really wanted to do this whole medicine thing, pulled a 3.8 first semester this year with a full schedule 18 credits; got my GPA to a 3.1; I don't want to look too far ahead but I might be able to pull it to a 3.2 by the end of this semester

This semester taking my final two premed classes, studying for the MCAT

This year I won some awards even in stuff involving medicine; finally got dean's list; got into some honors society; in the process of getting a non-science publication; shadowed a bunch; volunteered a bunch [basically got a lot of clinical experience]; began researching; learned a lot of new skills; started up a new philanthropy event at my fraternity and raised a lot of money; developed a strong interest in the business of medicine and health care; got involved in some unique/awesome longterm projects

Anyway, this past year I accomplished quite a lot after 3 years of plan ****tiness. I figured it out; I however don't know if it's been too late.

I realized my mistakes with studying and time management and I realized that simply working harder or studying more isn't the cure (I'm a workhorse and my work wasn't producing results) and its a matter of fixing my ecosystem and once i did that everything fell into place. I'm also just more happier now than ever before

I don't know if a strong senior year is enough to show ADCOMs that I get it know; I'm going to have really strong rec letters as well from my professors this year.

The goal right now is to keep doing what I'm doing and aim to do well on the MCAT.

I want to know what you guys think I should do

Work for a year in something I like [probably healthcare related]; also learn some additional things with all the spare time that I have
Work for a year doing research
Do an SMP/Post-Bac

I don't know, I'm a completely different person from my 3 years and I don't know if I need to prove myself more academically. The fact of teh matter is that stuff happened in the past and I can't fix it nor is it worth the mental strain of stressing over it.

Any possibility of getting into some top institutions for medical school as well? I'm not a prestige chaser, I just love the opportunities these universities provide students, as well as the resources available.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I want to know what you guys think I should do

Work for a year in something I like [probably healthcare related]; also learn some additional things with all the spare time that I have
Work for a year doing research
Do an SMP/Post-Bac.

All of the above or as many as are possible except I would rather do a post-bac than a SMP because the latter will only count in your graduate GPA and not the undergraduate GPA that adcoms focus on. A post bac will allow you to potentially raise your undergraduate GPA. Grade replacement is also an option if you apply to DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users