What Should I Do Next Year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Goforgold

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Currently wait-listed at three schools. There's a slight chance that I get into these schools, but I also want to prepare for the worst and plan ahead.

I am currently a NIH IRTA working in a neuroscience lab, doing electrophysiology- basic science. Worked in a neurobiology lab in undergrad as well. Unfortunately no primary author publications yet, but acknowledged in a paper. Presented at a number of conferences, and hoping to get a publication out soon.

My MCAT Scores:
First take in 2011 28 (10/12/6) B/P/V
Second take in 2013 34 (10/13/11) B/P/V

Clinical Volunteering (Total of 200 hours)- 30 hours on my primary application before sending in updates
Shadowing/Rounds: Around 50 hours if you count lectures where clinical cases are presented
Other Volunteering/ community work ( around 100 hours)- 10 hours were on my primary application before sending in updates.

Went to a top 25 school for undergrad.
uGPA: 3.75
sGPA:3.70

Should I apply to SMP programs?Masters in Public Health? Masters in Biostatistics? Something academic to show that I am invested in getting into Med-school

Should I pursue a job with more clinical experience, in research? as an clinical coordinator?

Should I work in something involved in community health? ( or something else involving the community?)

Should I continue my basic research and volunteer on the side?

Any and all advice is much appreciated. I'm uncertain as to what to do, and want to give myself the best opportunity to get into med school next year.

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you're having interview problems if you're getting interviews but can't get off the waitlist. SMPs are for people with poor GPAs.

You could do any of the options you just listed off and it would help. Really, I think what hurt your application were the weak extracurriculars, even though your updates made them look more extensive later. What is really going to make a difference for you is to pick the two or three activities that you LOVE the most, and do those for another year until next cycle. That way, you'll have deep involvement in something you're really passionate about to present to medical schools next time you apply and will be able to demonstrate productive use of your time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure it was an interview thing, thought i did well at two of the three schools. Definitely struggled a little bit at the other school. I only had three II's this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Currently wait-listed at three schools. There's a slight chance that I get into these schools, but I also want to prepare for the worst and plan ahead.

I am currently a NIH IRTA working in a neuroscience lab, doing electrophysiology- basic science. Worked in a neurobiology lab in undergrad as well. Unfortunately no primary author publications yet, but acknowledged in a paper. Presented at a number of conferences, and hoping to get a publication out soon.

My MCAT Scores:
First take in 2011 28 (10/12/6) B/P/V
Second take in 2013 34 (10/13/11) B/P/V

Clinical Volunteering (Total of 200 hours)- 30 hours on my primary application before sending in updates
Shadowing/Rounds: Around 50 hours if you count lectures where clinical cases are presented
Other Volunteering/ community work ( around 100 hours)- 10 hours were on my primary application before sending in updates.

Went to a top 25 school for undergrad.
uGPA: 3.75
sGPA:3.70

Should I apply to SMP programs?Masters in Public Health? Masters in Biostatistics? Something academic to show that I am invested in getting into Med-school

Should I pursue a job with more clinical experience, in research? as an clinical coordinator?

Should I work in something involved in community health? ( or something else involving the community?)

Should I continue my basic research and volunteer on the side?

Any and all advice is much appreciated. I'm uncertain as to what to do, and want to give myself the best opportunity to get into med school next year.
I would try to find out why you couldn't (so far) get into any schools this year and then proceed to work on those areas, instead of doing random things to pad your application (which is actually pretty solid the way it is now). the answer might be something as simple as better essays or being more confident in your interviews. best way to find out is to get in touch with the schools you interviewed at and ask them for feedback.

Do you guys know if most schools are receptive towards that? Should I email the schools I applied to and ask for an consultation on my application? Thanks for the help guys.