What should I do NOW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureMD4294

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I def def messed up big time.
Hi, I am a recent May graduate from UGA, I spent my last 2 months traveling and taking summer courses for PA school (I was pre-PA) and recently I have decided to go, PRE MED. I have landed an OR Assistant job that I will start working part time for on August 8th. My GPAs/EC are all descent; As far as MCAT, I've took one practice FL and received a 487 with NO studying on Kaplan. At this point I have a few options:

- Option 1: Take MCAT on September 10th (<6 weeks) GO ALL IN, apply this cycle to only DO schools because their cycle runs a lot later than MD. {If I score low on last 2 weeks, I will not take the exam}

- Option 2: Take MCAT later in the year, January and/or May, apply early to both MD and DO schools (2 GAP YEARS THO :/ might be discouraging, what would i even do?)

- Option 3: Apply to popular Caribbean schools such as ROSS, with my September MCAT and save 2 years!

mom recommends: September MCAT, and giving it a shot this cycle

Any other suggestions/potential options would be lifesaving.... Thanks in advance :)

Members don't see this ad.

I would shoot for option 2 and get in LOTS of hours working as an OR assistant, as well as focusing on the MCAT. I was at 487 for my first practice MCAT as well and it took me 7 months to raise it to 500 ...and 500 isn't very competitive. (ugh) If you shoot for this year you are submitting your app towards the end of the cycle. Your MCAT score won't be in until October and then you still have to do your secondaries while schools will be sending out their first round of acceptance letters.

Your experiences working in the OR will undoubtedly give you a ton of material to write about in your application and schools really value long term commitments to medicine rather than just a month.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So I def def messed up big time.
Hi, I am a recent May graduate from UGA, I spent my last 2 months traveling and taking summer courses for PA school (I was pre-PA) and recently I have decided to go, PRE MED. I have landed an OR Assistant job that I will start working part time for on August 8th. My GPAs/EC are all descent; As far as MCAT, I've took one practice FL and received a 487 with NO studying on Kaplan. At this point I have a few options:

- Option 1: Take MCAT on September 10th (<6 weeks) GO ALL IN, apply this cycle to only DO schools because their cycle runs a lot later than MD. {If I score low on last 2 weeks, I will not take the exam}

- Option 2: Take MCAT later in the year, January and/or May, apply early to both MD and DO schools (2 GAP YEARS THO :/ might be discouraging, what would i even do?)

- Option 3: Apply to popular Caribbean schools such as ROSS, with my September MCAT and save 2 years!

mom recommends: September MCAT, and giving it a shot this cycle

Any other suggestions/potential options would be lifesaving.... Thanks in advance :)

Option 2 just seems more logical from an outsider's perspective. Go in with the strongest possible app, including a good MCAT and many hours in the OR. Good luck!

Hey guys, I hope everything is going well for all of you. I would just like some advice because I have just graduated from a NJ state university with a BS in Bio, and have about a 3.0-3.1 Science GPA. I was originally on a presidential scholarship, and kept doing progressively worse during my undergraduate career. I eventually became pretty depressed because I had no idea why my performance was so bad. However, towards the end of my senior year I was hospitalized a few times, and they suggested something might be wrong with my brain. It turns out I had epileptic seizures throughout the whole of my undergraduate career, and nor the ER or my PCP was able to determine it. Until a student caught me seizing and took me to a neurologist, they located my issue to a growing brain tumor which I am currently in the process of removing. To better support my case, I finished my last semester of college with a 3.6 because I was properly being treated for my seizures. Reflecting back on my story, its a bit embarrassing as I sat through finals seizing and crapping my pants without even realizing it. Throughout my undergraduate career, I have worked in a research lab, as I have been there for almost 8 years now. I have put out many papers while also working as an EMT for two years. I am looking at a 517 MCAT score. Is it realistic for me to get into an MD school? Is my condition something that medical schools will understand?

Rising trends are always a good thing, and there are med schools that reward reinvention. Concerning your proposed MCAT score. Words are easy, doing is harder.

Hey guys, I hope everything is going well for all of you. I would just like some advice because I have just graduated from a NJ state university with a BS in Bio, and have about a 3.0-3.1 Science GPA. I was originally on a presidential scholarship, and kept doing progressively worse during my undergraduate career. I eventually became pretty depressed because I had no idea why my performance was so bad. However, towards the end of my senior year I was hospitalized a few times, and they suggested something might be wrong with my brain. It turns out I had epileptic seizures throughout the whole of my undergraduate career, and nor the ER or my PCP was able to determine it. Until a student caught me seizing and took me to a neurologist, they located my issue to a growing brain tumor which I am currently in the process of removing. To better support my case, I finished my last semester of college with a 3.6 because I was properly being treated for my seizures. Reflecting back on my story, its a bit embarrassing as I sat through finals seizing and crapping my pants without even realizing it. Throughout my undergraduate career, I have worked in a research lab, as I have been there for almost 8 years now. I have put out many papers while also working as an EMT for two years. I am looking at a 517 MCAT score. Is it realistic for me to get into an MD school? Is my condition something that medical schools will understand?

Rising trends are always a good thing, and there are med schools that reward reinvention. Concerning your proposed MCAT score. Words are easy, doing is harder.
Already received the 517 :)

Congrats!!! But while a 517 score is nothing to sneeze at, I do not know if a single 3.6 semester will convince Adcoms that you can handle med school, even with the 517 score. Your best chances will be with your state schools, especially if you're from NJ, but I recommend contacting some Admissions Deans and asking if you're competitive.

You may need an SMP to show that you can handle med school.

Already received the 517 :)

Congrats!!! But while a 517 score is nothing to sneeze at, I do not know if a single 3.6 semester will convince Adcoms that you can handle med school, even with the 517 score. Your best chances will be with your state schools, especially if you're from NJ, but I recommend contacting some Admissions Deans and asking if you're competitive.

You may need an SMP to show that you can handle med school.

Does my brain tumor justify my GPA?

Yes. You will kill it! Congrats for all that you have done. You will be an outstanding Med student. Keep up the serious determination. My gpa is around a 3.65 and my excuses for bad grades were slacking off and procrastination.

You really need your own thread.

Reactions: 1 user