what should i do now?.........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

charmedgrad

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, so i have a huge problem. I recently got kicked out of my masters program because of my GPA. I had been accepted on probation in the fall of 07 because of my 2.55 Overall GPA and my graduate GPA now was a 2.95
its not that i couldnt do the work its just that close to the end of the semester i started having problems with my status as an international student and actually found out that i was out of status and got caught up with the thought that i might be deported.

now i dont know if to go ahead and reapply to another postbacc program or just take the time off to fix my student visa so i have a clear head to focus better. But I dont want to be too old when I start applying to med school...

I already posted this on the postbacc program forum, I am so confused on what next to do. Please please please i need serious advise on the next step to take. undergrad classes part time/ full time, SMP????:confused::confused::confused:

Members don't see this ad.

is 2.55 you UG GPA?
If so, then you have no shot at med schools until you get that UG GPA up.
Taking Master's level coursework will not help at this point. You will probably need 2-3 years of UG coursework followed by a SMP to have a shot at MD schools. If you are interested in in DO schools, you can retake the UG classes you did poorly in.

Also, what is your immigration status? You may have issues with schools accepting you if you are not a permanent resident.

hi everyone, so i have a huge problem. I recently got kicked out of my masters program because of my GPA. I had been accepted on probation in the fall of 07 because of my 2.55 Overall GPA and my graduate GPA now was a 2.95
... But I dont want to be too old when I start applying to med school...

I already posted this on the postbacc program forum, I am so confused on what next to do. Please please please i need serious advise on the next step to take. undergrad classes part time/ full time, SMP????:confused::confused::confused:

I agree with gman that a masters will not be of much help to get into med school when your real problem is ug GPA. And getting kicked out of a masters for academic reasons is probably a nail in the coffin for the near term. Being too old is not the problem (ever), being too low GPA is. A tenuous immigration status won't help either. In all probability, you'd need many years of undergrad level A's and some very impressive ECs before any US med school would look at you. I don't usually recommend offshore options, but that might be the only route realistically open to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
does it really matter if i retake my undergrad classes part-time or full-time. i am not sure i can get into any programs unless my application as a permanent resident is approved but i can take classes part-time till then and i have a temporary work permit so i can get a job but for ECs what r some that i can do here in the mid west, i just started looking into shadowing some D.Os....does that count as an EC?

thanks a lot guys...

does it really matter if i retake my undergrad classes part-time or full-time
No, just take them at a 4 year institution

To get into an SMP you need at least a 2.8 U-grad GPA and a spectacular MCAT score (34+). First get the U-grad GPA, then the MCAT score. The ECs are the least important part of your SMP application. Try charity work (volunteering at a hospital) and maybe one thing that actual like to do (a sport, or something).

Anyway, any idea why you have a 2.55 in the first place?

i wasnt focused in undergrad, i partied got married and got divorced. it took me 6 yrs to complete college. i started out strong and then just declined....

so then there is hope for me to get into an MD program or just DO programs

so then there is hope for me to get into an MD program or just DO programs

Depends how many years you plan to devote to the process and your ability to get A's from here on out. For DO, since you can replace poor grades with retakes, you can raise your GPA significantly faster. For allo, it only gets averaged, never replaced. Either way, we are talking about a fairly long and arduous process, so you have to decide if you are up to the task.

its not that i couldnt do the work its just that close to the end of the semester i started having problems with my status as an international student and actually found out that i was out of status and got caught up with the thought that i might be deported.

now i dont know if to go ahead and reapply to another postbacc program or just take the time off to fix my student visa so i have a clear head to focus better. But I dont want to be too old when I start applying to med school...

Before you look at any more coursework, get your immigration status fixed so that this does not become a problem in the future. After that, figure out a way to get your undergraduate GPA higher (full-time or part-time). Once you are in competitive range (above 3.3), you can figure out what schools to apply to and explain your VISA problems and expulsion from your graduate program at that time. In any event, your immigration problems are your first hurdle if you intend to stay in this country. These problems are not easily or quickly solved so get working as soon as possible.

There is a view that you should finish any program you started. You may not have to state to AMCAS that you were "kicked out" but it definitely looks bad (in fact, in some cases a masters looks bad because it is inferred that you were kicked out of a Ph.D.) If at all possible, I would see if you could make an arrangement to finish the masters. Med schools would be very leery of taking people who were "kicked out" since drop outs are a worry for MD programs.

There is a view that you should finish any program you started. You may not have to state to AMCAS that you were "kicked out" but it definitely looks bad (in fact, in some cases masters look bad because it is inferred that you were kicked out of a Ph.D.) If at all possible, I would see if you could make an arrangement to finish the masters. Med schools would be very leery of taking people who were "kicket out" since drop outs are a worry for MD programs.

i cant finish the program because i got thrown out of the program and i also never was a PhD candidate.

You need to make sure you have no pre-req BCPM grade less than a C (there is argument whether a C- needs to be retaken. My view is yes). You may need to retake labs as well. At that stage, you might want to consider the MCAT.

lots of advise has been given. however, i'll strongly recommend that you discuss at length with the international student office at your school. I think if your visa status is still hanging, then everything else you do would be a waste of time because you may end up deported.

No, just take them at a 4 year institution

To get into an SMP you need at least a 2.8 U-grad GPA and a spectacular MCAT score (34+). First get the U-grad GPA, then the MCAT score.

I agree with all the advice in the above posts. Figure out your immigration status first, THEN work on increasing your GPA. You have to rock the MCAT as well. How would the rest of your application look - extra-curriculars, research, shadowing, clinical experience, volunteering, personal statement, letters of recommendation?

Also know that if your heart is set on an allopathic (MD) school, you may have a long road to bring up that GPA. If your undergrad GPA is a 2.55 (after 6 years, no less), realize that an additional 3 years of nothing but As in all your classes will only bring it up to around a 3.03.

Best of luck to you, no matter what you decide to do.