What should I do, please any help?pregnancy while dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredentist2216

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I am so worried and concerned about this, so please if any one can give me advice about it, I would truly appreciate it. Here is my issue: I had my interview in October and my acceptance to dental school in December 2015. In January 2016, I got married and we decided to have a babe. I got pregnant and my due date willl be in October 18 this year. The school is worried that I will not be able to handle the heavy load while my pregnancy. However, I have such a nice husband and family and they pushed me not to take the deferral. My questions are with all the help of my mother and my husband, can I handle the load of dental school while pregnant? what if I had midterms during my due date, can the school postpone them for me?

P.s I contacted the school and they referred me to someone that I will talk to next week. But I cannot wait.

Please if anyone has been in such a situation or abscence from dental school for a week during midterms, what did you do? Any advice is helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

Stress of level from 1-10.

Dental School: 9
Newly weds: 9 (typically)
New baby: 9 (typically for first born)

Since all these are "firsts", there is a good reason why the school is recommending a referral. Although is a good thing to have a supporting spouse and family, ultimately its you alone who will endure all the above stressful experiences, specially in dental school. Time management will be off the charts if you don't consider the deferral. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
A recruiter from a dental school told me about a student there who had a baby and was a single mom, and is now either a D4 or just graduated, that the school didn't even know about until recently. It is possible to be successful in dental school with a baby, especially since you have help/support. Handling the load depends on your time management and stress coping skills. I don't know about the midterm postponing question.

Best of luck and congrats on your pregnancy!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want you can, nothing is impossible. :)
good luck

Hello Everyone,

I am so worried and concerned about this, so please if any one can give me advice about it, I would truly appreciate it. Here is my issue: I had my interview in October and my acceptance to dental school in December 2015. In January 2016, I got married and we decided to have a babe. I got pregnant and my due date willl be in October 18 this year. The school is worried that I will not be able to handle the heavy load while my pregnancy. However, I have such a nice husband and family and they pushed me not to take the deferral. My questions are with all the help of my mother and my husband, can I handle the load of dental school while pregnant? what if I had midterms during my due date, can the school postpone them for me?

P.s I contacted the school and they referred me to someone that I will talk to next week. But I cannot wait.

Please if anyone has been in such a situation or abscence from dental school for a week during midterms, what did you do? Any advice is helpful.
Shouldn't you have considered all of these things before you decided to have a baby? Sorry but I had to.

To answer your question: it's gonna be tough. You are gonna need to sacrifice some things and prioritize. I hope you are not dead set on specializing (will be hard to juggle everything and kill every course) but I guess anything is possible. At my school the few women that had babies usually ended up taking an extra year, the guys usually finished on time no problem. Take that as you will. Good luck!

If it is a healthy pregnancy, yes, you can handle both. First newborn will take all your energy, but it is still possible to do everything

Stress of level from 1-10.

Dental School: 9
Newly weds: 9 (typically)
New baby: 9 (typically for first born)

Since all these are "firsts", there is a good reason why the school is recommending a referral. Although is a good thing to have a supporting spouse and family, ultimately its you alone who will endure all the above stressful experiences, specially in dental school. Time management will be off the charts if you don't consider the deferral. Good luck!
I don't know what it's like for Dental School but I assume the first year would be very rough.

What I do know, being a father of a nearly 2 year old, your first child will cause you alot of stress. Every little cough, cold, illness will cause you alot of concern, headaches, and stress. Having had my first child, I definitely would not have had my first child in my first year of dental school but what's done is done. If you can defer, I say defer. Better safe than sorry but it is up to you

I'm speaking from a male perspective here, but my wife and I had a baby while in dental school and I'll just say: it should not be underestimated. The late night feedings, sleep deprivation, the burn out, your spouse's burn out, the crying that can't be stopped while you're trying to study the night before an exam. There are so many variables you can't account for like, what if you have there's complications during the pregnancy, you have a colic baby, you or your spouse doesn't adjust well to being new parents? I had two girls in my class have kids - one deferred a year and was really happy she did, the other lived with her family and I think they carried most of the burden of raising the child so she could focus on school. So it really just depends. It could go fine or it could go horribly. Good luck! Being a parent is both awesome and overwhelming at times.

Reactions: 1 users
ok.. I know it is difficult with a baby but it is possible if you want it. My sister gave birth to her second child in the first week of school, ( she had another one year old baby. Her husband was v supportive and she did not have any other one to help. She was always positive and succeeded to graduate in 2013. To be honest the school did not give her anytime off, only the first week when gave birth.
If I was you, I would do it and keep optimistic and I am sure there are ma y daycares you can rely on if you need.