What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medicalmann

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am on my 3rd year on community college and just started taking higher levels of chemistry and physics classes. It will probably be next year that I can transfer to a university. I didn't have very good GPA until now but it started going up recently and I am confident I can keep the good grades and get atleast a 3.5 GPA before transferring. I am 21 years old and I want to know what are my options? What I mean is that I feel like my future is very unplanned and I don't want to be confused and lost while I work hard to get good grades and study for MCAT.
Right now, I applied for volunteering at a hospital and got accepted so that will go on for a while and help me. I am also going to apply for shadowing a doctor, and get as much experience on that field while I am studying for MCAT(even though I don't have much information needed for reading it because I lack high level classes yet.)
Can someone help me with the time interval? Like when I should do what, when I can take the MCAT, what is my best option to apply for MCAT? What else should I be doing this year or next semester? Is it so bad if I apply for university next year(when I am 22) and will I be too old compared to other people who are in this field? I would probably apply in both DO and MD anyways. Also, what do you do, incase you don't get accepted for any DO or medical school?(just looking at the worst case scenario.)
Any advice on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I am 21 years old and I want to know what are my options? What I mean is that I feel like my future is very unplanned and I don't want to be confused and lost while I work hard to get good grades and study for MCAT.
Your options are enormous as a sophomore. Tack on an extra year of college and you could get almost any major you wanted. Medicine-related, your doors are still wide open if you can get that GPA to 3.5 before you transfer. This should be your #1 priority. If you close this door on yourself, it will be very hard to open again.

Can someone help me with the time interval? Like when I should do what, when I can take the MCAT, what is my best option to apply for MCAT?
Take the MCAT the spring of your junior year (next year). Take an MCAT prep course starting in January, and take the MCAT in late April or some time in May. Make sure you sign up for the MCAT in January. Spots can fill up fast in some places.

What else should I be doing this year or next semester?
Research if you can. I know that's hard at a community college. Clinical experience is also important (I'm not sure if volunteering will cut it). I became an EMT and phlebotomist, for instance.

Is it so bad if I apply for university next year(when I am 22) and will I be too old compared to other people who are in this field?
No. 22 is young. Many people in medical school start when they're 30+.

I would probably apply in both DO and MD anyways. Also, what do you do, incase you don't get accepted for any DO or medical school?(just looking at the worst case scenario.)

You'll get into a DO school almost guaranteed if you get that GPA up and do well on the MCAT. I wouldn't worry about this. However, do have a career backup in case you don't get accepted your first round of applications.

If there's any pre-professional advising service at your school, go seek them out.

There are several good books on getting into medical school Here's one:
http://www.amazon.com/By-Walter-Har...qid=1388706557&sr=8-1&keywords=walter+hartwig

(shill alert: Dr Hartwig is an old pal of mine)

Hi, I am on my 3rd year on community college and just started taking higher levels of chemistry and physics classes. It will probably be next year that I can transfer to a university. I didn't have very good GPA until now but it started going up recently and I am confident I can keep the good grades and get atleast a 3.5 GPA before transferring. I am 21 years old and I want to know what are my options?

Take all of your pre-reqs first. do NOT take the MCAT until you are ready for it. this includes taking practice exams. generally, we're talking end of Junior year at ealriest, but more commonly, early-middle of senior year.

Right now, I applied for volunteering at a hospital and got accepted so that will go on for a while and help me. I am also going to apply for shadowing a doctor, and get as much experience on that field while I am studying for MCAT(even though I don't have much information needed for reading it because I lack high level classes yet.)
Can someone help me with the time interval? Like when I should do what, when I can take the MCAT, what is my best option to apply for MCAT?

No and no.

What else should I be doing this year or next semester? Is it so bad if I apply for university next year(when I am 22) and will I be too old compared to other people who are in this field?

You figure out what your deficits are and try to fix them. For example, do grade repair by retaking coursework, or enrolling in a post-bac rpogram or Special Master's Program.

Or you make other career plans. That's a sign a maturity, not giving up.

I would probably apply in both DO and MD anyways. Also, what do you do, incase you don't get accepted for any DO or medical school?(just looking at the worst case scenario.)

You'll find a lot of good advice in these forums.

Focus on grades and transferring to your 4-year university. Grades should be your focus right now. I would recommend that you take a GAP year after you graduate and study for MCAT and do some volunteering. The only down fall is that you will be taking the new MCAT, which is why I recommend taking a year off to relax + plus studying for MCAT. When you are 23 I think, you can then start applying to med schools. Also, AGE DOESN'T MATTER! There are people going to medical schools + DO schools in their 40s! Keep working hard and don't give up :) Good doctors are those who overcome great obstacles in life!