What Should I Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WastedTime

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about applying to DO schools this cycle. I have a few questions since I am relatively new to the DO world. I have a decent science GPA of 3.3. Most of my grades below B were had in my first few years of undergrad and consist of intro courses. I have already graduated with a bachelors in biology. I calculated if i retake about 4 classes from early in my academic life, and get straight As, I can raise my science GPA to 3.6 with grade replacement. I have two questions. Would DO schools look down on me for re-taking intro science classes over again just to boost my GPA? Second if I applied this upcoming cycle with my current stats, how soon could i do an academic update with courses finished in the fall semester, and would it be enough to get a second look by some schools? Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

1) What's your MCAT?

2) What's your MCAT?

Schools won't look down on your for retaking classes. I retook general chemistry the same time I was taking 400 level chemistry. Worked out pretty well for me. With a 3.6/3.6/27 I received ii's to 8/11 schools I applied to.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You're going to be a somewhat late app if you take it in August. So consider whether you want to apply this cycle or not or whether you've got a solid shot at... say a 28+.

I am taking my MCAT in August too, Ive been told I wount be early but I wount be late either....I guess it comes down to the specific school as some schools fill up faster than others....

Reactions: 1 user
I applied last cycle in late january early feb and got ii's to each DO School I applied to. interviewed and was accepted late feb. don't worry about an august mcat

I applied last cycle in late january early feb and got ii's to each DO School I applied to. interviewed and was accepted late feb. don't worry about an august mcat
U probably had awesome stats no?

I'm thinking about applying to DO schools this cycle. I have a few questions since I am relatively new to the DO world. I have a decent science GPA of 3.3. Most of my grades below B were had in my first few years of undergrad and consist of intro courses. I have already graduated with a bachelors in biology. I calculated if i retake about 4 classes from early in my academic life, and get straight As, I can raise my science GPA to 3.6 with grade replacement. I have two questions. Would DO schools look down on me for re-taking intro science classes over again just to boost my GPA? Second if I applied this upcoming cycle with my current stats, how soon could i do an academic update with courses finished in the fall semester, and would it be enough to get a second look by some schools? Thanks for your input.

I took my MCAT the last date possible last year on September 12th. My first interview was in early December with an acceptance. My GPA was exactly the same as yours. Work you behind off for a good score on MCATs. Retaking some of those classes can only help, but you have got to have better than a B grade. I really don't know about your ECs. I would start on some volunteer activities right now. A few hours a week will go a long way. Don't do a lot of hours in one activity; if I were you, I would take a few different opportunities with 40-50 hours in each with of course a medical related field as your main such as working in a hospital or a nursing home as your main with more than 40-50 hours. Start looking for doc to follow then now, shadow 4-5 including at least one DO. Talk to your professors and doc about a letter of recommendation and that you will get in touch when you need one. Having these thing in your pocket will give you a head start when it comes time to fill up the apps and make your life much easier. So in short, improve your GPA (if possible), a great score in MCAT, complete ECs, and shadow docs, all of this adds up to making yourself an intriguing candidate. A candidate that a med school will want to interview and then the rest is dependent up on the interview. Remember, admission into an a med school is like a blind date, make yourself look hot in the application so the school will call you in for a face to face date. Once you are there, all they are making sure is that you are really what you said you are. Good luck.

No...that's the whole pint behind the AACOMAS grade replacement policy....to help people redeem themselves.

Would DO schools look down on me for re-taking intro science classes over again just to boost my GPA?

Maybe

Second if I applied this upcoming cycle with my current stats, how soon could i do an academic update with courses finished in the fall semester, and would it be enough to get a second look by some schools? Thanks for your input.[/QUOTE]