What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aquagirl14

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!! I currently graduated a semester early from college. I have not taken the MCAT. I plan to hopefully take it in May. Anways, I would like some advice. I don't know whether I should apply to DO or just go to medical school in the carribean. My other career option is Doctor of Osteopathic.
I will post my grades:
BIO 101 (first time)-D
BIO 101 (second time)- A
BIO 102-B+
BIO 103- C-
BIO 103 Retook- (different course- same course decription)- B+
Chem 1-B
Chem 2-A-
Genetics (really advanced and hated this class)-C+
BIO conservatie class- B
Bio Human behavior-B-
Orgo 1-C-
Orgo 1 (Second time)- C
(Plan on retaking this in the spring)
Orgo 2- (I did i as a P/F)
Orgo 2 (second time)- D+
Orgo 2 (Third Time)- F (did not take the final)
(plan to also retake- I think it was because my Orgo 1 was weak)
Transferrred to different school and had a hard time (too many problems at home and emotionally)
neurology- C
vertebrate- C
(plan to retake also)
Evolution-C
Ecology- B-
Bio lab-B-
Stat-A-
Calc I- B+
Calc 2-A-
Stat-A-
PHY 1-B+
PHY 2-C (Prof did not follow syllabus)

With these grade, what do you guys reccommend I do? retake the classes? more division courses? go to carribean? I don't even know. I think that my biggest issue was I got way too discouraged in the classes and somehow unmotivated, but then I realized becoming a doctor is what I want. A lot of courses in my school are hard, but then they are curved. I would love any advice. I am also considering podiatry if I didn't mention that before.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys!! I currently graduated a semester early from college. I have not taken the MCAT. I plan to hopefully take it in May. Anways, I would like some advice. I don't know whether I should apply to DO or just go to medical school in the carribean. My other career option is Doctor of Osteopathic.
I will post my grades:
BIO 101 (first time)-D
BIO 101 (second time)- A
BIO 102-B+
BIO 103- C-
Chem 1-B
Chem 2-A-
BIO conservatie class- B
Bio Human behavior-B-
Orgo 1-C-
Orgo 1 (Second time)- C
Orgo 2 (second time)- D+
Transferrred to different school and had a hard time (too many problems at home and emotionally)
neurology- C
vertebrate- C
(plan to retake also)
Evolution-C
Ecology- B-
Bio lab-B-
Stat-A-
Calc I- B+
Calc 2-A-
Stat-A-
PHY 1-B+

With these grade, what do you guys reccommend I do? retake the classes? more division courses? go to carribean? I don't even know. I think that my biggest issue was I got way too discouraged in the classes and somehow unmotivated, but then I realized becoming a doctor is what I want. A lot of courses in my school are hard, but then they are curved. I would love any advice. I am also considering podiatry if I didn't mention that before.
Well what is your overall and science gpas...? I see a lot of Cs there. If you want to go to MD/DO there is no need to take upper level science classes and get Cs or Bs, you really need As, A-s, few B+s to be competitive. Taking extra upper level classes is not impressive if you don't do good in them, in fact they will hurt you.
I recommend you to retake some classes you did Terrible in.
Btw, I know this is hard to take in, but you really shouldn't enter into any medical program simply because "That is the best I could do with my grades." Of course that is reality, but you will enjoy what you do if you truly like it.
If you like podiatry, Do it, If you like medicine Do MD/DO, if you like PA, Do PA, It depends on what you like but unfortunately more importantly, depends where you get into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well what is your overall and science gpas...? I see a lot of Cs there. If you want to go to MD/DO there is no need to take upper level science classes and get Cs or Bs, you really need As, A-s, few B+s to be competitive. Taking extra upper level classes is not impressive if you don't do good in them, in fact they will hurt you.
I recommend you to retake some classes you did Terrible in.
Btw, I know this is hard to take in, but you really shouldn't enter into any medical program simply because "That is the best I could do with my grades." Of course that is reality, but you will enjoy what you do if you truly like it.
If you like podiatry, Do it, If you like medicine Do MD/DO, if you like PA, Do PA, It depends on what you like but unfortunately more importantly, depends where you get into.

Overall, it is a 3.2. Science is probably around a 2.7. I never considered PA. I am NOT using the "That is the best I could do with my grades." excuse also. If I wanted to use that excuse, I would not even consider posting on here or getting advice on how should I improve. It's that I transferred schools and found some things just overwhelming and a lot of problems were going on in my life. I am leaning more towards DO or podiatry. I just want to know other suggestions based on people's experience or something.

First things is to take off considering the caribbean. If you screw up there you will not only get kicked out but you will be left with a massive amount of debt.

Secondly is to first figure out if you want pod or medicine. Have you shadowed both? Do you know that scope of practice for podiatry is different in each state so you will be limited to only certain areas (below ankle or below knee) in different states.

If you decide on medicine/DO then retake those classes that you didn't do so hot in. Since AACOMAS does grade replacement you can get your science GPA back up above a 3.25 which is a safe zone.

You will need to do very well on the MCAT.

Best of luck.

First things is to take off considering the caribbean. If you screw up there you will not only get kicked out but you will be left with a massive amount of debt.

Secondly is to first figure out if you want pod or medicine. Have you shadowed both? Do you know that scope of practice for podiatry is different in each state so you will be limited to only certain areas (below ankle or below knee) in different states.

If you decide on medicine/DO then retake those classes that you didn't do so hot in. Since AACOMAS does grade replacement you can get your science GPA back up above a 3.25 which is a safe zone.

You will need to do very well on the MCAT.

Best of luck.

Yes, I have seen both areas which is what I am debating on. I don't get how the AACOMAS actually does it. I heard that there are certain restrictions to that. Are you in DO by any chance (asking because you listed yourself as medical student)?

Overall, it is a 3.2. Science is probably around a 2.7. I never considered PA. I am NOT using the "That is the best I could do with my grades." excuse also. If I wanted to use that excuse, I would not even consider posting on here or getting advice on how should I improve. It's that I transferred schools and found some things just overwhelming and a lot of problems were going on in my life. I am leaning more towards DO or podiatry. I just want to know other suggestions based on people's experience or something.
Right, I didn't mean it as an insult or thats what you believe in. I am saying thats what I believed and what many people do believe. If you can't do MD or DO you are going to do the best you can do, and theres nothing wrong with that. My reasoning is that just don't forget to do something you love and have a passion for... you'll be able to do it longer and more effectively.
With your grades, podiatry is within reach, DO is a little far (usually you'ld like a 3.4ish overall and a 3.4ish science, but of course the better the merrier , MD is a 3.6 overall and science maybe more probably. Don't forget those ECs for MD/DO they are important!!

Yes, I have seen both areas which is what I am debating on. I don't get how the AACOMAS actually does it. I heard that there are certain restrictions to that. Are you in DO by any chance (asking because you listed yourself as medical student)?

Okay that's good you have seen both. Acceptance to pod school will still have standard MCAT and GPA scores but will be a bit lower than the requirements of DO schools. The AACOMAS will replace any grade which you have a lower than a C if you've completed the course again but successfully.

Yes I will be going to a DO school!

Okay that's good you have seen both. Acceptance to pod school will still have standard MCAT and GPA scores but will be a bit lower than the requirements of DO schools. The AACOMAS will replace any grade which you have a lower than a C if you've completed the course again but successfully.

If I may ask, were your stats or anything similar to mine or have a similar situation as me?

whoah, i was planning on retaking two courses which I got a C and a C+ in. So you're telling me if retake those and get A's, they wont get replaced just because they're not lower than C's?

whoah, i was planning on retaking two courses which I got a C and a C+ in. So you're telling me if retake those and get A's, they wont get replaced just because they're not lower than C's?

Hmm that's not something I know off the top of my head. Probably best to consult to AACOMAS FAQ.

Members don't see this ad :)
You can retake all your grades lower than a C and they get completely replaced for DO schools

Reactions: 2 users

ACCOMAS only calculates the highest grade you received. I.e. if you got an A the second time around then the initial A- won't be factored in. This is just an example... not sure if anyone would retake an A- :/

ACCOMAS only calculates the highest grade you received. I.e. if you got an A the second time around then the initial A- won't be factored in. This is just an example... not sure if anyone would retake an A- :/
I thought it as the most recent score, not necessarily the best one

A bit surprised at the confusion in this thread...

OP, retake low courses and start getting A's. Bring your GPAs (both) above a 3.0 before even thinking of applying DO. Then kick butt on the MCAT. If you want DO you can do it. I think Pod is also within reach provided you do ok on the MCAT.

As far as how AACOMAS grade replacement works:

First, there are 2 requirements for grade replacement to be allowed: 1) the courses must be equivalent (i.e. they cover the same material and have similar course descriptions), and 2) the retake must have equal or greater semester credit hours than the original course.

Second, on AACOMAS, unless something has changed, they take the most recent retake of a course (i.e. it has nothing to do with "best grade" it has to do with most recent grade). What that means is that if you take a retake and get a C for a course you say got a B on the first time around, and label it as a retake on AACOMAS (and obviously it fulfills the requirements I mentioned above), then AACOMAS will count the C grade as your only grade for that course. It will not calculate your GPA with both grades or the highest one, only the most recent one.

It does not matter what you got on the previous course, any course can be retaken provided it fulfills the requirements for an AACOMAS retake (the two above).
The reason that you hear people say, retake anything you got a C in is because a C or less switched to an A will have the biggest effect on your GPAs, and there's no point in taking a retake for a grade above that.

You can retake any number of courses, as many times as you like, but obviously that won't look good to the school, so you don't want to retake any course more than once unless you fail it on the retake. Your app will show every course you took and what grade you got, but your AACOMAS GPAs will only use the most recent retake grades for its calculation.

I think at this moment, you need to improve your science to a 3.0-3.1 (which should also bring your cGPA to about a ~3.3+). Retake any grade C or lower. A 3.2cGPA/2.7sGPA isn't too bad. It is recoverable. I do agree you would have to score very well on the MCAT to have a serious shot at being a competitive DO applicant. Podiatry is also within reach with a decent MCAT score. This may take a few years to really retake those classes and prepare for the MCAT, so if you do go that route be prepared for that type of time commitment.

I've heard PA schools are actually pretty difficult to get into so I'm not too sure about that process and the recommendations.

I will post my grades:
BIO 101 (first time)-D
BIO 101 (second time)- A
BIO 102-B+
BIO 103- C-
Chem 1-B
Chem 2-A-
BIO conservatie class- B
Bio Human behavior-B-
Orgo 1-C-
Orgo 1 (Second time)- C
Orgo 2 (second time)- D+
neurology- C
vertebrate- C
(plan to retake also)
Evolution-C
Ecology- B-
Bio lab-B-
Stat-A-
Calc I- B+
Calc 2-A-
Stat-A-
PHY 1-B+

Well before you do anything you need to start taking your future seriously. You can't just say "Alright, I've decided I'm going to get some sort of medical degree." and then go down the list from 'MD -> DO -> Carribean -> PA -> Podiatry -> Whatever else' as you get discouraged. This is a terrible mistake a lot of pre-meds make and it really means you've put no significant thought into what you're trying to do. It's important to do a lot of research and introspection on what each one of these choices entails separately, but also it is crucial to realize what medicine requires of you in time commitment and continued learning over your lifetime. Being a physician is a lifestyle, not a career.

I think if you sat yourself down now and asked "Do I have what it takes to take on the lifestyle of medicine? Have I demonstrated commitment to learning?" your answer should be no if you're being honest. If undergraduate education was difficult for you, medical school won't be any easier. So, if I was in your position I'd be honest with myself, start taking responsibility for what I've already done, and coordinate a thoughtful plan to move forward instead of continuing to grasp for different degrees. I believe everyone has great potential, but you have to work for what you want; it isn't just going to land in your lap.

People are being optimistic here, but your transcript is going to look very unfortunate regardless of whether or not you complete all the retakes you need. Your GPA may say such-and-such, but rest assured they will see you've retaken some of your classes more than once within a short time period and there will be a lot of retakes overall. A good MCAT will help, but that's kind of living on a dream at the moment as it doesn't even seem that it has been scheduled yet. It may be beneficial to work for a few years and come back - it'll help ease the eyes of the admissions staff.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I will post my grades:
BIO 101 (first time)-D
BIO 101 (second time)- A
BIO 102-B+
BIO 103- C-
Chem 1-B
Chem 2-A-
BIO conservatie class- B
Bio Human behavior-B-
Orgo 1-C-
Orgo 1 (Second time)- C
Orgo 2 (second time)- D+
neurology- C
vertebrate- C

(plan to retake also)
Evolution-C
Ecology- B-
Bio lab-B-
Stat-A-
Calc I- B+
Calc 2-A-
Stat-A-
PHY 1-B+

"Oh, retake classes. It'll be easy. And just kill your mcat, that's easy too. A 27 is easy to get."
- some users here

No No No.

Your academic history speaks for itself, you have too many classes to "re-take". Consider podiatry and/or other healthcare professions heavily. Do not go Caribbean, you will just become another attrition/massive debt statistic.

The med school game is getting harder every year. Unless you are willing to maybe have a shot at a newer and lower end DO school, which I cannot recommend or see you doing well in the school either, reconsider becoming a physician.

Reactions: 1 user
Well before you do anything you need to start taking your future seriously. You can't just say "Alright, I've decided I'm going to get some sort of medical degree." and then go down the list from 'MD -> DO -> Carribean -> PA -> Podiatry -> Whatever else' as you get discouraged. This is a terrible mistake a lot of pre-meds make and it really means you've put no significant thought into what you're trying to do. It's important to do a lot of research and introspection on what each one of these choices entails separately, but also it is crucial to realize what medicine requires of you in time commitment and continued learning over your lifetime. Being a physician is a lifestyle, not a career.

I think if you sat yourself down now and asked "Do I have what it takes to take on the lifestyle of medicine? Have I demonstrated commitment to learning?" your answer should be no if you're being honest. If undergraduate education was difficult for you, medical school won't be any easier. So, if I was in your position I'd be honest with myself, start taking responsibility for what I've already done, and coordinate a thoughtful plan to move forward instead of continuing to grasp for different degrees. I believe everyone has great potential, but you have to work for what you want; it isn't just going to land in your lap.

People are being optimistic here, but your transcript is going to look very unfortunate regardless of whether or not you complete all the retakes you need. Your GPA may say such-and-such, but rest assured they will see you've retaken some of your classes more than once within a short time period and there will be a lot of retakes overall. A good MCAT will help, but that's kind of living on a dream at the moment as it doesn't even seem that it has been scheduled yet. It may be beneficial to work for a few years and come back - it'll help ease the eyes of the admissions staff.

I am sorry, but you are also an applicant as well based on your status as "pre-medical" . You have not gotten in either, so what do you know about admissions. And technically I am taking responsibility and trying to take action for what I have done.

"Oh, retake classes. It'll be easy. And just kill your mcat, that's easy too. A 27 is easy to get."
- some users here

No No No.

Your academic history speaks for itself, you have too many classes to "re-take". Consider podiatry and/or other healthcare professions heavily. Do not go Caribbean, you will just become another attrition/massive debt statistic.

The med school game is getting harder every year. Unless you are willing to maybe have a shot at a newer and lower end DO school, which I cannot recommend or see you doing well in the school either, reconsider becoming a physician.

"too many classes" some people try to erase their entire past by thinking some smp or post bac will automatically guarantee them admission. I don't think that some program can automatically grant someone admission or that any magic really exists. As for me, I am just getting advice to see what I should do. I definitely do not think there is an easy way to get into medical school.

Many SMPs have an automatic interview if you do do well int he program and perhaps also have an MCAT score > X.

There are no auto-accepts, correct...but doing well in a post-bac/SMP yields a high probability of success.

OP, I suggest re-taking all F/D/C science coursework and let AACOMAS' grade replacement policy do its magic. Shadow a DO and get a LOR from him/her and that will go a long way as well.

"too many classes" some people try to erase their entire past by thinking some smp or post bac will automatically guarantee them admission. I don't think that some program can automatically grant someone admission or that any magic really exists. As for me, I am just getting advice to see what I should do. I definitely do not think there is an easy way to get into medical school.