What Should I Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

j9260

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My current state can be described as shell-shocked and deeply disappointed in myself.

I've been wanting to go to medical school (specifically, osteopathic - my dream school is PCOM - Philadelphia) since the 10th grade and that desire has always carried through the years. I'm a part of graduating class 2014 (BS in Psychology) and from 2012-2015, I took the MCATs three times - scoring around 23 (yeah, I was pretty bummed and had tried so hard with extensive effort and time, especially the 2nd and 3rd time around - thought I learned from my mistakes). Also, I got a C in organic chemistry, biochemistry, and anatomy and physiology. My uGPA is 3.5 and my sGPA is 3.2 (I have to thank Physics and Math classes for that). My old pre-medical advisor and I decided it was best to take some time off from school to refocus for the MCATs. Fast forward to the end of February 2016 (a week after I was diagnosed with ADHD and had begun treatment), I met with my undergrad's new pre-medical advisor who checked out my academic records, MCAT scores, and listened to me talk about why I still really wanted to become a doctor: she said, "You are probably going to hate to hear this, but stop studying for the MCATs right now because you need to take a different approach. Since you've been getting treatment to aid in your focus and have matured in the couple years since college, go for a post-baccalaureate program, do well (A's only!), and then when your sciences are stronger - especially in biochemistry - then refocus on the MCATs."

I gave it some time to sink in. "Gotta change my course of action again, but maybe this time it will work!" I believed. So I quickly applied to UPenn's Specialized Studies program and PCOM-Philadelphia's biomedical sciences program.

Today I received a rejection letter from UPenn and I panicked. I am still waiting for PCOM to receive my letter of recommendation before they will review my file, but with PCOM currently being my only chance left, I gotta admit: I'm scared.

It's like trying, trying, trying after every setback and then you hit a big one that finally makes you wonder if you really have what it takes to become a doctor. Despite the joy you get from patient care, despite the excitement you felt every time you shadowed a physician or attended a medical school open house, despite how right you felt when you excelled in your EMT class - finally getting your hands on some medical knowledge.

What do I do?
Should I quickly apply to more post-baccalaureate programs? I don't want to give up on this dream at all, but a lot of self-doubt has grew inside me. Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

First off, it is tough to face so many setbacks. Good on you to keep trying for your dreams. The rejection from Penn is not surprising given your GPA and (multiple) weak MCAT scores. Their program is geared for students with a history of academic success who are trying to change careers. The good news is that you do not really need their program nor do you need to rely on Penn's reputation (which is what you would be paying for). You need to take classes to replace the low grades that you have in orgo, biochem, and A&P. You can do this at almost any 4 year university in the country by enrolling as a second degree student (or post bac) and signing up for classes (called a DIY post bac).

Your advisor gave you solid advice. A 23 does not indicate a strong understanding of the underlying biological and physical concepts that the MCAT tests for. Retaking those classes (with your ADHD in check) will hopefully strengthen your understanding and help you improve your MCAT.

My current state can be described as shell-shocked and deeply disappointed in myself.

I've been wanting to go to medical school (specifically, osteopathic - my dream school is PCOM - Philadelphia) since the 10th grade and that desire has always carried through the years. I'm a part of graduating class 2014 (BS in Psychology) and from 2012-2015, I took the MCATs three times - scoring around 23 (yeah, I was pretty bummed and had tried so hard with extensive effort and time, especially the 2nd and 3rd time around - thought I learned from my mistakes). Also, I got a C in organic chemistry, biochemistry, and anatomy and physiology. My uGPA is 3.5 and my sGPA is 3.2 (I have to thank Physics and Math classes for that). My old pre-medical advisor and I decided it was best to take some time off from school to refocus for the MCATs. Fast forward to the end of February 2016 (a week after I was diagnosed with ADHD and had begun treatment), I met with my undergrad's new pre-medical advisor who checked out my academic records, MCAT scores, and listened to me talk about why I still really wanted to become a doctor: she said, "You are probably going to hate to hear this, but stop studying for the MCATs right now because you need to take a different approach. Since you've been getting treatment to aid in your focus and have matured in the couple years since college, go for a post-baccalaureate program, do well (A's only!), and then when your sciences are stronger - especially in biochemistry - then refocus on the MCATs."

I gave it some time to sink in. "Gotta change my course of action again, but maybe this time it will work!" I believed. So I quickly applied to UPenn's Specialized Studies program and PCOM-Philadelphia's biomedical sciences program.

Today I received a rejection letter from UPenn and I panicked. I am still waiting for PCOM to receive my letter of recommendation before they will review my file, but with PCOM currently being my only chance left, I gotta admit: I'm scared.

It's like trying, trying, trying after every setback and then you hit a big one that finally makes you wonder if you really have what it takes to become a doctor. Despite the joy you get from patient care, despite the excitement you felt every time you shadowed a physician or attended a medical school open house, despite how right you felt when you excelled in your EMT class - finally getting your hands on some medical knowledge.

What do I do?
Should I quickly apply to more post-baccalaureate programs? I don't want to give up on this dream at all, but a lot of self-doubt has grew inside me. Please help.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the responses, @Goro and @GreenDuck12.
I never heard of a DIY post-bacc before, but by theory, I guess I somewhat have in the past.

I'm going to apply to TouroCOM's MS program in New York, but despite the results I may get from them or PCOM, I'm thankful there's at least this DIY post-bacc option. I'm going to have to look into how to pay for these courses if I do end up doing the DIY. Regardless, thank you! That is very helpful.

Also, @GreenDuck12, thank you for the honest assessment. The truth hurts, but it helps you get stronger.

I just want to clarify that a MS program is not the same as a post-bac. In particular TouroCOM's MS program is a Special Masters Program (SMP) which mirrors the first year of medical school and used by students as an "audition" for medical school. @Goro can be of more assistance than I can about whether or not an SMP is the right move for an applicant with your background. A post-bac is just taking undergraduate courses after obtaining a bachelors degree. This is useful (especially for osteopathic schools) because they allow you to replace low grades with higher ones for courses that you repeat (assuming you earn a higher grade). By doing this, you can significantly increase your sGPA and cGPA, which will definitely help with admissions. You can do this at most 4 year universities and all community colleges (though there is some debate about whether or not CC classes are viewed less favorably). Best of luck to you.

Thank you for the responses, @Goro and @GreenDuck12.
I never heard of a DIY post-bacc before, but by theory, I guess I somewhat have in the past.

I'm going to apply to TouroCOM's MS program in New York, but despite the results I may get from them or PCOM, I'm thankful there's at least this DIY post-bacc option. I'm going to have to look into how to pay for these courses if I do end up doing the DIY. Regardless, thank you! That is very helpful.

Also, @GreenDuck12, thank you for the honest assessment. The truth hurts, but it helps you get stronger.

Agree 100%. I feel that an SMP is the ideal for reinventors as it's an audition for med school, and those with linkage give you the back door into that school.

I just want to clarify that a MS program is not the same as a post-bac. In particular TouroCOM's MS program is a Special Masters Program (SMP) which mirrors the first year of medical school and used by students as an "audition" for medical school. @Goro can be of more assistance than I can about whether or not an SMP is the right move for an applicant with your background. A post-bac is just taking undergraduate courses after obtaining a bachelors degree. This is useful (especially for osteopathic schools) because they allow you to replace low grades with higher ones for courses that you repeat (assuming you earn a higher grade). By doing this, you can significantly increase your sGPA and cGPA, which will definitely help with admissions. You can do this at most 4 year universities and all community colleges (though there is some debate about whether or not CC classes are viewed less favorably). Best of luck to you.

I appreciate all your inputs! Thank you!

I appreciate all your inputs! Thank you!

Know that math classes don't count towards sGPA for DO schools.

And yes, others have solid advice, but know that you can't make any more mistakes from here on out. I would also consider other alternatives just in case. It is good you are managing your illness.

interesting, I am so used to the BCPM designation for MD schools, did not know that DO schools do not include math...
Know that math classes don't count towards sGPA for DO schools.

And yes, others have solid advice, but know that you can't make any more mistakes from here on out. I would also consider other alternatives just in case. It is good you are managing your illness.