What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strawberrybubblegum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I'm just a little bit torn on what to do. I'm a Canadian citizen that will be applying to US dental schools. My GPA is around a 3.3 right now. This last semester took a toll on me, with the death of one of my close cousins happening right around finals. I ended up getting a C- in my physics course and a semester GPA of 3.2. Anyway, I took the Canadian DAT in February and my results were TS 19, AA 20, PAT 18. I wanted to apply to schools this upcoming cycle, but I'm worried my DAT marks are too average and my GPA is too low... I was debating on writing the American DAT in June of July but I'm worried that I might do worse since I keep hearing that the American version is harder than the Canadian. I could also wait until November to write the Canadian DAT but I feel like my chances at acceptance into a school would be low due to rolling admissions. I feel like I could definitely do better if I wrote the DAT again, but I don't want to ruin my chances by bombing the American DAT. What do you guys think would be a rational course of action in this situation? Should I re-write the DAT (either US or Canadian) or just apply with these marks? I'm just super stressed out with everything right now and I honestly don't know what to do. On top of it all, I'm finding it difficult to get LOR's since I go to a university that has classes of 200+ people and its next to impossible to get to know a professor personally. I just really need some words of advice from the SDN community :(

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

My GPA is around a 3.3 right now.

I know people with lower GPAs who have gotten into American dental schools.

Anyway, I took the Canadian DAT in February and my results were TS 19, AA 20, PAT 18.

That's not a terrible score. You can retake and make it stronger though.

I was debating on writing the American DAT in June of July but I'm worried that I might do worse since I keep hearing that the American version is harder than the Canadian.

In my opinion, the Canadian DAT is much harder than the American DAT. In the Canadian one, you have to do soap carving to demonstrate your PAT abilities, right? No such issues on the American one.

Just study for the American one and you'll succeed.

I feel like I could definitely do better if I wrote the DAT again

What do you guys think would be a rational course of action in this situation? Should I re-write the DAT (either US or Canadian) or just apply with these marks? I'm just super stressed out with everything right now and I honestly don't know what to do.

That's the spirit! Head on over to DAT Discussions, master the American DAT materials, get a 22AA, and start rehearsing your favorite American accent :)

I'm finding it difficult to get LOR's since I go to a university that has classes of 200+ people and its next to impossible to get to know a professor personally.

Offer to take the prof out for coffee or something for ~30 mins and to have a chat. Let them know you'd be interested in getting a rec from them. If they are open to the idea, give them a copy of your personal statement, your resume, etc. at the meeting and let them get to know you. Problem solved.

Yeah I think the Canadian DAT is harder because of the PAT section. If you take the American DAT in June or July and start studying now, and to start learning/practicing our PAT section, you should be fine to take it. I don't know how much the sciences/math/reading varies between both exams but I can't imagine that it could be that much different. Don't be so hard on yourself! Just research here on SDN for the best resources/tips on the DAT and I have a feeling you'll knock it out of the ballpark. Just stay focused and you'll be fine. Just remember...you have enough time to get this done. To get your letters in order, study for the DAT and retake it, as well as send in your app in at a decent time. Wish you luck! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel your pain @strawberrybubblegum . I took the same DAT and got a 17 on the PAT section.
The American version just has more subjects so it takes longer to prepare for it. It's not necessarily "harder". If you start studying for it now, you'll be fine for a June/July retake. Given your cDAT score, i highly doubt you'd bomb the American DAT :) Just spend as much time as you can to prepare for it as possible.

I know people with lower GPAs who have gotten into American dental schools.

In my opinion, the Canadian DAT is much harder than the American DAT. In the Canadian one, you have to do soap carving to demonstrate your PAT abilities, right? No such issues on the American one.

The soap carving ("MDT") section is optional and isn't looked at by most schools thankfully. It's a separate section than PAT.
The worst part about cDAT for me was how i had to wait 6 weeks to see my scores...It's just ridiculous.

Reactions: 1 user
The soap carving ("MDT") section is optional and isn't looked at by most schools thankfully. It's a separate section than PAT.
The worst part about cDAT for me was how i had to wait 6 weeks to see my scores...It's just ridiculous.

Ah Canada and its wait times...why am I not surprised ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Are Canadian schools more competitive? I suppose since there's only a few it would be competitive. However, I wouldn't mind going to British Columbia or Toronto. Canada has some amazing places.

I feel your pain @strawberrybubblegum . I took the same DAT and got a 17 on the PAT section.
The American version just has more subjects so it takes longer to prepare for it. It's not necessarily "harder". If you start studying for it now, you'll be fine for a June/July retake. Given your cDAT score, i highly doubt you'd bomb the American DAT :) Just spend as much time as you can to prepare for it as possible.

Yeah! The PAT section was a lot more difficult than I expected.

You should write the american DAT, it will help your chances

Are Canadian schools more competitive? I suppose since there's only a few it would be competitive. However, I wouldn't mind going to British Columbia or Toronto. Canada has some amazing places.

Yeah Canadian schools are ridiculously competitive. I have next to no chance in getting into a Canadian school, the average accepted GPA is in the 3.8-4.0 range. I really wish I could stay in Canada, but I didn't start taking my GPA seriously until it was too late :(

That's the spirit! Head on over to DAT Discussions, master the American DAT materials, get a 22AA, and start rehearsing your favorite American accent :)

Ahhhh you're right. I know that the logical thing to do is to just study my butt off and ace the DAT. I just hate the idea of starting the process of studying again, especially over the summer. But I gotta suck it up and do this :yeahright:.

Thank you everyone for your input! Sometimes I feel like I'm wasting my time with all this and I get really discouraged. I really appreciate all the advice :)