What Should I Do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

powerhouseofthecell

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a student at Hunter College (Lower-Junior) and took and finished Bio 1 this summer. It was the hardest class I've taken in my life (and I passed OCHEM with A's). It wasn't the material, it was straight forward, it was the tests she makes. Bio at Hunter College is notoriously known for being a GPA killer and many have warned me not to take it here. I told myself how hard could it be, I have the whole summer, more studying time, and no other classes to worry about. And I did, I worked my ass off and studied way more than I should've and knew the material by heart.

I got a D. OGPA: 3.43 --> 3.24 SGPA 3.48-->3.29

This did KILL my GPA. Now, since this is the grade majority of the class gets, D is considered a passing grade and allows you to take Bio 2, which I will be taking. This along with Physics 2. I know that I most likely will not do any better in Bio 2 because its the same professor.

I had a 4 year plan to graduate in 4 years, because Pre-Meds at Hunter don't graduate in 4 years (because of the insanely hard science classes, most end up failing and having to retake) but this D in Bio basically ruins my whole plan. Because even if I do retake Bio 1, its guaranteed I'm not getting any where near an A. So it won't do my GPA any good, and I'm only gonna retake it because a C is the cutoff for most dental schools.

Hunter only offers Bio 1 in the spring and Bio 2 in the Fall. So heres my dilemma.

If I do retake it Spring 2017, I will have to take it alongside Biochem 1(another infamous class) and Calclus 1 and a Chem elective. This feels nearly impossible as I would have to give majority of my time to Bio 1 and obviously I can't. So should I throw my 4 year plan in the garbage and space out my science classes more and stretch my undergrad into 5 years, so 3 more years. Or should I stay an extra semester, making it 4 1/2 years and space it out with a slightly better load. Or should I continue with my plan, and torture myself and end up getting terrible grades in these classes.

If I decide to stay the extra semester after senior year, how does applying to dental school work then. When would I have to take the DAT and when would apply, would I have to take a gap year.

I am torn, what would you guys recommend. 5 years route, extra semester after senior year, or take a gamble and go all in on the 4 year plan.

Heres there teacher that teaches Bio 1 at Hunter if you don't believe me: Classes are called Bio 100 & 102
http://www.ratemyprofessors.com/ShowRatings.jsp?tid=480726

Members don't see this ad.

Space it out and do it in 5 years. Take your DAT your 4th year.

Reactions: 1 user
Why not take some classes at a different college?

This leads me to question why people go to Hunter College in the first place. Sorry to hear about that, and as @ry_guy_chi said, spread out your harder classes so you can ensure a higher grade.