What should I do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zaina11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I was hoping someone can help me out with my dilemma. Im a FMG, graduated in June 2011 and currently residing in the US. I've been busy this past yr preping for the Steps. Did the CK (237) , CS and currently studying for Step 1. Im thinking of applying to the 2014 match since Step 1 needs atleast 6 months. But whats worrying me is that I havent done much clinical experience during this past year so would this affect my chances of matching into IM? Should I start searching for observerships or pvt clinics now during my Step 1 prep?

Your advice would be highly appreciated.

Note: I did an elective in Philly in 2010 (got 1 LOR) does that count as USCE?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I would think that your elective does count as USCE, and it is valuable as you have a LOR to show for it. In my opinion you still have time to take Step 1 this year and apply, especially if you already started studying for it. That would be my choice, but if you choose to wait for a year, you could either go with an observership (little or questionable value) or try to do some meaningful research to boost your CV (publication, abstract, poster... in that order).
Good luck.

How did you do step 2 CK before taking and passing step 1?

I do agree you should try and get some additional clinical experience during your time studying. Programs will want to know you didn't get a decent score because you were studying 40 hours a week. A trained monkey could do well with that much study time, but a good resident can get a decent score while still maintaining their other responsibilities.

Hi,

I was hoping someone can help me out with my dilemma. Im a FMG, graduated in June 2011 and currently residing in the US. I've been busy this past yr preping for the Steps. Did the CK (237) , CS and currently studying for Step 1. Im thinking of applying to the 2014 match since Step 1 needs atleast 6 months. But whats worrying me is that I havent done much clinical experience during this past year so would this affect my chances of matching into IM? Should I start searching for observerships or pvt clinics now during my Step 1 prep?

Your advice would be highly appreciated.

Note: I did an elective in Philly in 2010 (got 1 LOR) does that count as USCE?