What should I do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D5WwithNSS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I graduated this year. During my rotation year, I worked at a hospital pharmacy and I started with a retail company because I wanted to get a job offer after I graduated. Anyways, long story short. In december, I got a job offer from my retail place for my district (this district btw is an hour from my home but I dont mind traveling that far to work). I thought I was set so I left my hospital job in May of this year. But then starting in June after I got my ATT, I literally called my DM like 5 times over the course of a 3 week period trying to find out when I start my grad internship. During the last week of trying to get ahold of my DM, my name was scratched off the schedule at the store I worked at as an intern. I thought that was strange but I thought maybe the manager messed up the schedule. I got no reply when I texted her to ask her what happened. Finally later that day, the DM finally calls me back and tells me they closed a bunch of stores so they couldn't take me as a grad internship.

I don't know what to do. The DM said she would try to find a store near my home but at this point everything is booked solid by grad interns. What makes me more riled up about the situation is that this chain massive hired new grads that don't even work for the company in the metro area I live near and I couldn't apply because I thought I had the job offer for this district I was at. Anyways, I get a call two days ago regarding a job with that company about 3 hours from my house (I would have to move because it is like 100 miles away). Would you take it?

Members don't see this ad.

Concerns me that they closed a bunch of stores. What chain is this? If this is all you got then take it and move.

It is Rite Aid. Yeah they closed a bunch of stores but then are hiring like crazy.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you don't want to work at that hospital anymore?

So you don't want to work at that hospital anymore?

well I left cause I thought I was hired with that chain (especially after signing that contract). I don't think there are any positions at that hospital now either. If I knew, I would have stayed on as a tech at the hospital instead of being jobless.

well I left cause I thought I was hired with that chain (especially after signing that contract). I don't think there are any positions at that hospital now either. If I knew, I would have stayed on as a tech at the hospital instead of being jobless.

But the pharmacists there still remember you, right? They could get some contacts for you and tell you about openings they've heard that people may not know about.

Yeah, I would say take the job and move. Other retail chains prefer to hire pharmacist that have done internship with them for years, so you will probably have a hard time finding a position at another chain. And for hospital, it is even more difficult without experience or connections, or residency background. Consider the move as a temporary solution. Right now it's just such a difficult time job market.

Yeap yeap yeap...All about networking.

Really, go make a Linkedin account and get as many of them as connections as possible, make a business card with all your contact information to give out, and get others emails/phone #s if you get to know them well enough. I would stay away from Facebook/social media crap...too much personal/incriminating things come up on those that employers will judge you on(ie that innocent pick of you and 3-4 buddies at the bar tells them you drink a lot...even if you barely go out for drinks once every few months).

Either way...good luck.

Yes, definitely take the job and move. The experience will be beneficial and most likely will help you get a job at a later date closer to where you want to live.

what do you have in writing from Rite Aid? Is it a contract to work in your district? You should make them honor it.... especially if you signed in December...

Hey all,

I graduated this year. During my rotation year, I worked at a hospital pharmacy and I started with a retail company because I wanted to get a job offer after I graduated. Anyways, long story short. In december, I got a job offer from my retail place for my district (this district btw is an hour from my home but I dont mind traveling that far to work). I thought I was set so I left my hospital job in May of this year. But then starting in June after I got my ATT, I literally called my DM like 5 times over the course of a 3 week period trying to find out when I start my grad internship. During the last week of trying to get ahold of my DM, my name was scratched off the schedule at the store I worked at as an intern. I thought that was strange but I thought maybe the manager messed up the schedule. I got no reply when I texted her to ask her what happened. Finally later that day, the DM finally calls me back and tells me they closed a bunch of stores so they couldn't take me as a grad internship.

I don't know what to do. The DM said she would try to find a store near my home but at this point everything is booked solid by grad interns. What makes me more riled up about the situation is that this chain massive hired new grads that don't even work for the company in the metro area I live near and I couldn't apply because I thought I had the job offer for this district I was at. Anyways, I get a call two days ago regarding a job with that company about 3 hours from my house (I would have to move because it is like 100 miles away). Would you take it?

Hours as a graduate pharmacist might be hard to come by but call them and find out about your position once you get your license because i know some places didn't have grad hours but alot of pharmacist hours.

what do you have in writing from Rite Aid? Is it a contract to work in your district? You should make them honor it.... especially if you signed in December...

It is a contract but it isn't binding. It says how either party can quit at any time.