What should I focus on in Cell Bio?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GapLustrum

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently taking a Cell Bio course, and will be taking the MCAT shortly after. We're assigned to research a topic of interest in Cell Bio (such as some target cell, organism, pathway, gene expression, disease, drug). Do you guys have any idea of what knowledge would be useful for the MCAT? That is one of the main reasons I'm taking this course.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
In my opinion, cell bio was useless. My professor treated it like gen bio, and designed the course to measure people ability to memorize terms. Did you take biochemistry yet? if not, use cell bio to get used to protein cascade reactions. If you take biochemistry I & II, you will be good to go.

Reactions: 1 user
In my opinion, cell bio was useless. My professor treated it like gen bio, and designed the course to measure people ability to memorize terms. Did you take biochemistry yet? if not, use cell bio to get used to protein cascade reactions. If you take biochemistry I & II, you will be good to go.

I'm taking Biochem this semester as well. My Cell Bio class is based around research papers and scientific readings so hopefully it will be a bit more valuable.

I had a lot of cell signalling and protein synthesis with heavy emphasis on the endocrine system. It really saved me on anything enzymes and diabetes related on the MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
I took cell bio and found it extremely useful. I would focus on cell cycle, signal transaction, cancer vs normal cell function, transport across membrane mechanisms, gene expression, analytical methods (site-specific mutagenesis, probe DNA, southern blot, etc.). Ended up with a 132 in the bio section.

Reactions: 1 users